Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:35 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,690,770 times

Advertisements

KEEP THE HOUSE! You're overreacting. You will be happy you live on a cul-de-sac with young kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 02:25 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,919,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandi View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I forgot to mention that big trees cover almost my back yard, acting like a huge natural air purifier and dust reducer from the back. And the air monitor shows good indoor air quality in the house.
Trust the air monitor over some sort of report made by someone who's motives you don't know. You thought there might have been a problem (air pollution), you set up a testing system (air monitor) and you got results that are tested and dependable. So where's the problem? Don't you trust your own research over someone else's?

Old 11-30-2017, 02:46 PM

72 posts, read 50,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Trust the air monitor over some sort of report made by someone who's motives you don't know. You thought there might have been a problem (air pollution), you set up a testing system (air monitor) and you got results that are tested and dependable. So where's the problem? Don't you trust your own research over someone else's?
Because the air monitor can only measure particles as small as 2.5 microns ie. PM2.5. On the other hand, ultrafine particles are 1 micron max. But I agree that I was overreacting.

Last edited by fandi; 11-30-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 05:32 PM

50,123 posts, read 63,519,992 times
EVERYONE has special circumstances for the homes they live in. Mine are jet noise from the airport nearby, and the military planes that go overhead sometimes. Knowing what I know now, I would still have bought my house.

OP has special circumstances too. He either thinks his house is worth it, or he doesn’t.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,544,630 times
Hate to burst your bubble, but EVERYONE is going to die at some point! There's no controlling when or how. Go live your life! There's pollution everywhere! If you really want out of the pollution, then you'll need to leave SoCal for some like the middle of the Rocky Mountains with a population of 6 and forget about a job there!

Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 PM

3,236 posts, read 2,313,080 times
Quote:
Hello All,
We bought a house 5 years ago in Southern California and the family loves it (not sure about the toddlers and the newborn). The house faces a cul-de-sac so almost no car traffic. It has a serious problem though: the bedrooms face a four lane street (there's a 6ft brick wall in between). This street is pretty busy during rush hours because people take this route to hop on a freeway 1 mile away.
We don't mind the noise but this AQMD study shows that for houses within 100 meters from freeways/four lane streets, ultrafine particles can beat any air purifier machines and get into human hearts. For my kids' health, we have to ask the question: should we leave or should we stay.
http://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-sou...final-2012.pdf

On the other hand, I see lots of people (not poor) live by busy streets for many years. Not that they can't afford to find another place. I'm talking about people live in the vicinity of La Cienega Blvd and Wilshire Blvd, City of Los Angeles for example.
We love everything about this house except the dust problem. This house seems to bring luck to us since the first day we moved in: my wife got pregnant after a year of trying with no results, I got my dream job, etc. This house has potential to add 2 more rooms (with City permit) for the kids as currently they sleep with us. I'm not sure I can afford a 5 bed house in this currently inflated house market in Southern California.
To alleviate the dust problem, windows are shut most of the time of the day and only open a few hours at night for next day indoor fresh air. Air purifiers are used everyday throughout the house. Awair device monitors indoor air quality. But my friend said it doesn't matter because we still swim in the polluted air created from the street.
So a big thank to you if you can let us know what you would do if you were in this situation.
Sounds like total bunk. Stay in the house.

Does the house have only one bedroom? Is that why you all have to sleep in the same bed? That's not healthy for any of you.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 PM

72 posts, read 50,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Sounds like total bunk. Stay in the house.

Does the house have only one bedroom? Is that why you all have to sleep in the same bed? That's not healthy for any of you.
3 beds. Kids are on different bed but same room. Once they grow a bit more, they'll have their own rooms.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:49 PM

423 posts, read 606,152 times
I recommend that you sell the house and move out of SoCal. Get away from the smog.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:54 AM

23,018 posts, read 18,357,296 times
Quote:
3 beds. Kids are on different bed but same room. Once they grow a bit more, they'll have their own rooms.
Consider the fact people have lived along dirt roads for generations and they probably produced a lot more dust than paved highways do. What pedestrian or horse drawn vehicles on those dirt roads didn't add to the air were internal combustion engine byproducts. This, plus the offgassing of all the synthetic materials in your house probably create dirtier air indoors than outdoors in this day and age.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:19 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,044,970 times
OP, I wouldn’t love the idea of living in a brown cloud either but don’t get carried away with these studies.

There are going to be a lot more of them popping up & they will all be in regards to children’s health within the context of “What could be causing the rise in ****?” They will all be pointing fingers at each other: The Energy industry will point to Manufacturing who will point to Cell towers/Communications who will point to Agriculture... they will all produce studies that present damning evidence yet only ever recommend that “further studies are warranted” & no definitive answers will be given.

It will be a repeat performance of the early 1970’s to 1990’s “cancer clusters” concerns. Two decades plus the movie “Silkwood” later & still; no definitive answers & no expert consensus.

Your house should be fine, especially with the latest & greatest in healthy air interventions. You have kids? You can’t let yourself get distracted ... Keep asking questions & don’t listen to anybody who is condescending towards you for doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House