Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times

Advertisements

I think carpet causes more dust than anything. If we are gone for a week and no one walking around on carpet there is a lot less dust created than when we are home..

Lived in eastern Texas, Dallas-Fort worth for a number of years on several occasions the sky to the west would take on a reddish hue. It was just some of the west Texas dirt blowing our way. You needed to close windows, turn on central heat (fan only no heat) otherwise there would be a film of fine dust on everything. The furnace filter would also help cut down on fine dust, but needed replacing after one week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
A possible solution. On the movie ET. They wrapped the house in plastic to seal it, with tunnels going inside. Never leave, never let anyone in.

Or..... just live your life like a normal person.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandi View Post
To alleviate the dust problem, windows are shut most of the time of the day and only open a few hours at night for next day indoor fresh air. Air purifiers are used everyday throughout the house.
Its likely the air inside your house, closed windows all the time is far, far, worse for you than keeping the windows open. All those building materials offgas forever. Furniture, carpet, plastics everywhere, .....literally everything.

The Awair only measures a few chemical levels: hydrogen gas, hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, ethanol, toluene, and formaldehyde. And how well it does these chemicals I'm very skeptical because the device is so cheap and doesn't require routine calibration.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:10 PM

72 posts, read 50,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I think carpet causes more dust than anything. If we are gone for a week and no one walking around on carpet there is a lot less dust created than when we are home..

Lived in eastern Texas, Dallas-Fort worth for a number of years on several occasions the sky to the west would take on a reddish hue. It was just some of the west Texas dirt blowing our way. You needed to close windows, turn on central heat (fan only no heat) otherwise there would be a film of fine dust on everything. The furnace filter would also help cut down on fine dust, but needed replacing after one week or so.
There's no carpet in the house.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:17 PM

There are lots of people who steer clear from buying a house next to busy streets not because of the noise but the dust, especially ultra fine particles. I welcome those people to join the discussion.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Its likely the air inside your house, closed windows all the time is far, far, worse for you than keeping the windows open. All those building materials offgas forever. Furniture, carpet, plastics everywhere, .....literally everything.

The Awair only measures a few chemical levels: hydrogen gas, hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, ethanol, toluene, and formaldehyde. And how well it does these chemicals I'm very skeptical because the device is so cheap and doesn't require routine calibration.
No carpet in the house. The calibration is done via WIFI.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:37 AM

A calibration would be taking a known amount of contaminates and exposing the machine to it and the machine reads that amount, or fairly close. Doesnt sound like it ever gets calibrated after leaving the factory. I would be skeptical of its readings.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Here's what I would do in your situation:

I'd just deal with it, and resign myself to the fact that really I should be dusting the house more frequently than you do at present.

If you simply cannot bear it then I think you should move, and RENT this time until you are sure the house suits you.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Here's what I would do in your situation:

I'd just deal with it, and resign myself to the fact that really I should be dusting the house more frequently than you do at present.

If you simply cannot bear it then I think you should move, and RENT this time until you are sure the house suits you.
Thanks.
This it not about keeping the house from regular dust. It's about ultra fine particles in the air in the house at any given time. But I like your suggestions.

Old 03-01-2018, 02:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fandi View Post
Thanks.
This it not about keeping the house from regular dust. It's about ultra fine particles in the air in the house at any given time. But I like your suggestions.
There will be ultra fine particles in every house you live in. There's ALWAYS stuff in the air. Doesn't matter if you live 10 feet from a highway or out in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House