Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:04 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrySlu View Post
Right, I don't know what I'm talking about, yet you can't seem to wrap your head around very obvious and simple concepts such as humanely killing a mouse and the purpose of a plastic bag. Let me tell you the reason why a plastic bag (or two in your case) is so useful here: you won't get the heavy object stuck, only the plastic will, and any mess will be contained. Even if that doesn't work, the whole bloody point is to give the animal a quick and painless death, so forgive me if your precious few minutes means so much to you.

Even wildlife SOPs and the AVMA recommend blunt force trauma for small mammals. So much for "fantasy world", really, is that the best you can come up with? All this hyperbole about the "real world" is ridiculous, considering I just outlined to you exactly how to avoid a mess and end the life of the animal as quickly as possible. Making suppositions about my real-world experiences based on your own laziness and squeamishness is quite an idiotic thing to say. I mean, this is simple stuff, really.

You can't even address the point, despite sources being linked to you, so you go on about basements. It is clear you don't want to learn anything here because you don't want to admit your method of disposal is ****ing barbaric.
Go back to your mother's basement. I'm not changing the way I deal with rodents, period. Go troll someone else now.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 AM

44 posts, read 30,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Go back to your mother's basement. I'm not changing the way I deal with rodents, period. Go troll someone else now.
Yes, it's always "troll" and "mother's basement" when you can't substantiate your garbage.

Idiot. Hope you get a dose of bad karma then.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:02 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Yes, it's always "troll" and "mother's basement" when you can't substantiate your garbage.

Idiot. Hope you get a dose of bad karma then.
Bad karma over getting rid of rodents.

I side with AlaskaErik but I go even further. I firmly believe rodents should be extinct and I am more than happy to do my part. I exterminate rodents whether I need to or not. I see a rodent, I kill a rodent.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

I side with AlaskaErik but I go even further. I firmly believe rodents should be extinct and I am more than happy to do my part. I exterminate rodents whether I need to or not. I see a rodent, I kill a rodent.
What will the owls and hawks eat?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What will the owls and hawks eat?
I would hope their diets are a little more diverse than just rodents, but you are right I did not think of them. The dead carcasses of any rodents I kill in the house are thrown outside for the hawks. I do not use poisons due to potential secondary effects.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:02 AM

Quote:

No, the bad karma would come from torturing an animal.

Then you're an idiot, considering how irreplaceable rodents are to many ecosystems. A lot of animals rely on them on as a food source. They are also pretty important for seed dispersal. Rodents make up for around 40% of this planet's mammals, wanting to wipe them all out just shows a lack of foresight and a huge amount of ignorance. And what about medical research? Rodents are used there for a reason... they're cheap to house, breed well and have many biological similarities to humans. What about pet rodents? Lots of people keep pet rats, mice, chinchillas, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.

But coming from someone who's OK with killing when it's not required, can't say I'm surprised about the idiocy.

Quote:
I would hope their diets are a little more diverse than just rodents, but you are right I did not think of them. The dead carcasses of any rodents I kill in the house are thrown outside for the hawks. I do not use poisons due to potential secondary effects.
A large majority of their diets include rodents.

Of course you didn't think of them; because you don't think before making stupid comments. Think before you post.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:23 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
No, the bad karma would come from torturing an animal.

Then you're an idiot, considering how irreplaceable rodents are to many ecosystems. A lot of animals rely on them on as a food source. They are also pretty important for seed dispersal. Rodents make up for around 40% of this planet's mammals, wanting to wipe them all out just shows a lack of foresight and a huge amount of ignorance. And what about medical research? Rodents are used there for a reason... they're cheap to house, breed well and have many biological similarities to humans. What about pet rodents? Lots of people keep pet rats, mice, chinchillas, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.

But coming from someone who's OK with killing when it's not required, can't say I'm surprised about the idiocy.

A large majority of their diets include rodents.

Of course you didn't think of them; because you don't think before making stupid comments. Think before you post.
He said "you are right, I did not think of them". What more do you want. This is a discussion and the guy was man enough to admit he didn't think of that point, and you're still jumping on his case, calling him an idiot, etc. Reminds me of my wife -- nothing's ever good enough for her

"He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone."

Old 12-14-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
He said "you are right, I did not think of them". What more do you want. This is a discussion and the guy was man enough to admit he didn't think of that point, and you're still jumping on his case, calling him an idiot, etc. Reminds me of my wife -- nothing's ever good enough for her

He said he wanted the animals extinct, which is a pretty dumb thing to say in the first place because the result would be catastrophic. Also, I don't take too kindly to people agreeing that an animal should be frozen to death rather than killed humanely. So screw him.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
He said he wanted the animals extinct, which is a pretty dumb thing to say in the first place because the result would be catastrophic. Also, I don't take too kindly to people agreeing that an animal should be frozen to death rather than killed humanely. So screw him.
I'm still sticking with glue traps for the invaders. I'm sure the ecosystem will survive without the few that made the mistake of invading my domain. But I do have to wonder...are this this concerned about all the human babies ripped out of their mother's womb? Or is your moral outrage reserved for rodents?

Old 12-14-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the support but I am harsh on rodents for a reason. They have done a huge amount of damage to my 50 year old house that I have now owned for just over 5 years. I have been gutting and remodeling parts of the house and recently I opened up an exterior wall that I originally did not want to touch. It had floor to ceiling shelves attached to it and I did not want to mess with them. After taking down the shelves and removing the plaster I found that mice had stripped every stud bay of the fiberglass insulation leaving the bare kraft paper intact. At the bottom of each stud bay, the fiberglass was balled up into mouse nests. Every.freaking.stud.bay. Effectively this entire wall had no insulation for who knows how long. Think of all the energy that must have been wasted over the years heating the house. Of course that is the worst specific instance but I have found insulation damage almost everywhere and then there is the toxicity and disease issues from their urine and feces, Ugh!

As a response to all of the rodent damage I am discovering plus health risks, I have adopted an 'attempt to kill on sight' policy towards any and all rodents in my house and yard. I won't use poisons because I don't want to inflict secondary harm on species that don't cause me damage. At least anything I kill becomes food for the hawks and owls as I throw the carcasses out back.

I am not going to sacrifice my well being or the quality of my home over rodents. That may rile up the animal rights activists but I don't live to placate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House