Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 09:23 AM

924 posts, read 1,024,118 times

Advertisements

first I apologize if this is the wrong section

I am hoping someone knows a bit of electrical

so, what would be more idea to feed a shed (going into a sub panel inside shed that is 70 feet away from the house)

double pole 30amp
or
60 amp double pole

i dont plan to run much stuff in the shed; maybe a tool here and there. security cameras, battery chargers
and maybe a small TV. tools would be like circular saws and stuff.

i really dooo like the price of going 10-3 wire and feeding a 60amp subpanel in the shed

just want some opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 10:28 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
The wire is not the major cost in a proper job. The conduit, panel, and trenching costs make wire cost a minor factor.

The items you list are not a problem. If you want an electric space heater or two, or want to try a little welding, you might have a problem.

Old 12-12-2017, 11:55 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,327,589 times
10-3 wire is way too small for 60 amps. For a run of 70', you may want to upsize one size to keep voltage drop to a minimum.
There are many different wire types that have different amp ratings, but most use the 60 degree C rating for sizing. If you use aluminum wire, you have to go up one size.
Also you say 10-3. Hopefully you are talking 10-3 with ground wire. You want to have two hots, one neutral, and one ground conductor to your sub panel.

#10 for 30 amps max, but you would have to use #4 for 60 amps. 30 amps would likely do everything you want.
If it was me, I would use #8 wire and 30 amp sub panel.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:14 PM

so im using 60amp double pole with 6/3 wire UF-B to feed a 60amp sub panel detached,

I dont think a number 4 wire is rated for 60 amps - or I can go 50 amp with 6/3 wire

Old 12-12-2017, 01:10 PM

34,122 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
so im using 60amp double pole with 6/3 wire UF-B to feed a 60amp sub panel detached...
You need to pull FOUR CONDUCTORS because this is a SUB PANEL.
Black Red White and Ground.

Quote:
I dont think a number 4 wire is rated for 60 amps
If you can get it then use it. It'll be fine to feed a 60A sub.
While you're at it use CONDUIT too not the UF.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

thanks! 6/3 is four conductors. Usually ground is included.

im trying to find a store that has 4, but copper #6 is also rated for 60amps

but I am actually trying to think THWN #6 - with 4 conductors is better for this

any opinions?

I know I can put UF-B into conduit as well, it does not violate NEC, but heard its a pain to do

Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,171,582 times
Do you seriously think you have to have all of that for a light, a circular saw, a tv, and a security camera?

Hell, why run 3phase to it and call it a day!? Dilly, Dilly!!

Old 12-12-2017, 07:23 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,363,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Do you seriously think you have to have all of that for a light, a circular saw, a tv, and a security camera?

Hell, why not run 3phase to it and call it a day!? Dilly, Dilly!!
I have been wondering if I could get the high voltage lines run so I can install my own substation. I was unsuccessful in getting the railroad to run a spur to my house so I could feed the blast furnace and the foundry on coal, and the gas line to the house is only 1 1/2" and I would need at least a 4" gas line to use gas, so I am thinking to run an electric furnace instead. I am not sure whether to go with the basic open hearth or acidic open hearth, still studying on that. Originally I thought "Bessemer converter" but I think my neighbors might get upset if I blow the Bessemer converter late at night. You know, our lots are only 60 ft. wide.

Once I get all that going (hopefully next month) the next project is the 500 ton open die forging press.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:04 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,559,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

6/3 is four conductors.

3 CCC, and 1 G.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,132,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
first I apologize if this is the wrong section

I am hoping someone knows a bit of electrical

so, what would be more idea to feed a shed (going into a sub panel inside shed that is 70 feet away from the house)

double pole 30amp
or
60 amp double pole

i dont plan to run much stuff in the shed; maybe a tool here and there. security cameras, battery chargers
and maybe a small TV. tools would be like circular saws and stuff.

i really dooo like the price of going 10-3 wire and feeding a 60amp subpanel in the shed

just want some opinions
I was going to give my two-cents, and see there is good advice here sofar. But it's clear you are asking questions about something about which you don't have a basic understanding.

Do some reading, buy a book, and take advantage of all the easy to use wire size calculators online. Without the skills to install your new circuit, you risk killing yourself or someone else.

Save money by trenching and running the conduit (don't backfill until inspection) and punching the requisite holes through your walls. Pay an electrician to hook it up. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House