Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times

Advertisements

nah - I am confused, you say here on this thread that you wanted to keep your heat at 50 degrees. Then once people have told you thats to low for the pipes you say you will heat to 60 degrees, Yet in another thread you posted

"I had roomates in college that would turn the a/c to 65(lowest was 62) I could not believe how cold they liked it! I was a little cold to say being indoors with the a/c to 65! I told them its too cold, they all said its fine and that they were hot. I got outvoted so couldnt do anything but shiver a little."
and
"Yes and I was a little cold! I wanted 72-75 degrees! They really should relocate to a cold climate once they graduate!"

If you didn't want the house "cooled" to 65 how do you expect to be "comfortable" in a house heated to 60?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 04:19 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Also, I'm wondering just how accurate crime stats are. Anyone who has ever studied statistics knows that they can be misleading. If there is one murder one year, and the next year there are two murders, the murder rate went up 100%, right? But that's still only two murders! Percentages don't always tell the whole story.
That is soooo true, especially in towns with low populations... they're only really accurate in BIG cities, where a few murders don't make a difference! I was actually noticing this earlier, while randomly surfing around city-data. I was looking at the list of "100 safest cities", and noticed a very weird result for one...

Crime rates for Pell City, Alabama (ranked as third safest city):
1999 - 436.0
2001 - 9.4
2003 - 435.1
2004 - 488.9

Seems pretty crazy that it went from 436 down to NINE, and then shot back up to 435... but that's because there are only 9,500 residents, so a small lapse in crime makes a big difference. This was a particularly large gap, though, even for a small town! I also found it interesting that the (relatively) crime-free year was 2001, which is a trend I've noticed with other towns... thought it might be related to 9/11, but that happened in the 9th month of the year - still could've had an impact, I suppose. Anyway, I just found this to be interesting, and coincidental that you'd mention it right after I saw this! So yeah, we can't take all of these statistics at face-value...

Old 12-11-2006, 05:13 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,550 times
NAH,
We (self, husband and 17 y.o. son ) recently relocated from Florida to Georgia.
We are still fighting over the thermostat.Myself, I find that 68 is refreshing. In Florida they would crank it down to 67/ 69 all the time.Here in Georgia, we had a few nights where it was in the 20's, and a couple of weeks where it was below 55. They are now pushing the thermostat up to 74/75.
I don't understand it, nor can I explain it, but 68 is still cold inside the house. I always have sweats, socks and usually a robe on. And a fire going in the fireplace. I can handle 68 as I am usually running around the house. 68 is still cold inside.
I am finding that the cold here is not like the cold on Florida. Outside, it is more acceptable and easier to deal with. But when the floors are cold, the beds are cold, the bathroom and toilet are freezing (usually tile), you have to atleast get the chill out.(your feet will get charlie horses or cramps from being on a cold surface even with socks on) And believe me, the steam from a hot shower for a minute and a half, will NOT warm up that bathroom ! I too, bring my fresh clothes into the bathroom to get dressed before I come out, but even at 68 it is still COLD.
The last few nights, I have been kind of experimenting with the heating issue. About an hour before we all get settled in and ready for bed, I turn the heat up to 75. That way, while we are watching T.V., everybody is warm, and they think that it will stay on. Then when I go to bed I back down the thermostat to 65. Now the chill is out of the house, and by the time it gets to 65 we are getting out of bed. I do the same in the morning when everybody is getting showers for work/school. Once they leave, I shut it off. I can not allow my house to get below 65 because I have exotic birds. Maybe 65 is pushing it still , for the birds sake, but they are covered.
I have owned houses that were built in late 60's. They leave alot to be desired when it come to being "energy efficient". I really didn't realize how much that mattered until we moved here. We have several double paned picture windows(enegry efficient), had the heat up to 75, walked over and put my hand on the window, it was freezing !
If you are going to purchase an OLD home in a cold place, I suggest you not do it in the middle of winter.
Even though you may be miserable in Florida at the moment, what is being described, sounds like you are only going to be more miserable!
We bought our first house when I was 18. Not because we were rich, but because we got married and I got pregnant, and neither parents wanted to make it easy for us. And I thank them for that. They weren't being mean, just realistic. Because of that, we have MADE things work. We bought a fixer her upper, and all we did was FIX HER UP. Every weekend, every penny. We lived without heat or a/c in S.F. Had just space heaters with all tile floor . Didn't work so well. What might of saved us was, we all had waterbeds which had heaters in them, but boy was it hard to get up in the morning.

We all feel your sense or urgency on this matter, and most are advising the step lightly. Please heed the warnings, we may have a bit of experience with these issues.
Good Luck !!

Old 12-11-2006, 09:59 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
But if its cloudy and windy outside, 50f feels colder due to windchill!
Oil City is probably influenced by the Great Lakes like us, most of the time because at our latitude, winds are rarely calm and winds are generally from the west. 80-90% of the year, we have afternoon forecast wind speeds about 10 mph or more.

A general rule here, which probably also applies to Oil City is that most of the time between mid October to mid March if it's sunny, it's also unseasonably cold. About 2/3'rds of the time approx. that is true.

Right now it's 72 F inside, I have on fleece lined jeans, a t-shirt and a heavy sweater. There's no breeze, my toes are cold and my fingers finally warmed up after an hour or two of feeling clammy. My Christmas wish is it will be summer again by January 02, 2007...

Old 12-11-2006, 11:23 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
nah - I am confused, you say here on this thread that you wanted to keep your heat at 50 degrees. Then once people have told you thats to low for the pipes you say you will heat to 60 degrees, Yet in another thread you posted
If you didn't want the house "cooled" to 65 how do you expect to be "comfortable" in a house heated to 60?

I didnt have "winter" cloth with me in college. What I did was block the a/c vent in my dorm room, this kept temps at a comfy 75. I am more concerned about saving money on heat, like I said im not one of those rich guys who can afford expensive quarter million dollar houses like some of you have. If this means being a little cold, its well worth saving hundreds! If I must spend good money to heat to 60 to protect the pipes, then be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That is soooo true, especially in towns with low populations... they're only really accurate in BIG cities, where a few murders don't make a difference! I was actually noticing this earlier, while randomly surfing around city-data. I was looking at the list of "100 safest cities", and noticed a very weird result for one...
Oil city crime index never went past low 200s and its gone down to low 100s.
ive talked to others and they say its a very safe location. Theres some tiny rural towns with zero crime but theres also zero things to do, nothing "happens" at all!

theqbaby, I totally understand! I fight over the a/c here and my parents say im wasting money! Well I cant stand the south Florida heat! I cant take my skin off to cool! a/c is the only way to stay cool in Florida but in a cool climate I can just wear a coat to stay warm but I cant take off any cloth if im already in my shorts and shirtless!

Quote:
Right now it's 72 F inside, I have on fleece lined jeans, a t-shirt and a heavy sweater. There's no breeze, my toes are cold and my fingers finally warmed up after an hour or two of feeling clammy. My Christmas wish is it will be summer again by January 02, 2007...

You should move to a warm climate and live there permanently! I have gone wearing nothing but shorts in 72f indoors and was just a little cold! I find a sweather way overkill for 72f

Old 12-11-2006, 12:32 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
You should move to a warm climate and live there permanently! I have gone wearing nothing but shorts in 72f indoors and was just a little cold! I find a sweather way overkill for 72f
For a "warm climate", how warm do you think a place should be for me?

Well the chill of a 72 F house adds a "festive touch" around Christmas. I get to have cold indoors and outdoors all the time.

Maybe not at the moment, but after I've acclimatized to summer I can wear full sleeves, like a suit or a sweater at 79 F (and low humidity) with confidence that my skin can stay dry. (if I don't exert myself )

Old 12-11-2006, 08:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,787,703 times
NAH - you crack me up too! You are SO stubborn!!!
Have you actually EVER felt 50 degrees INDOORS??????!!!!!!!
I KNOW you haven't because it could NEVER get to that in SOFL!!!
The night it was 42 it was I think 60 in here - maybe higher...
WHY CAN'T YOU GET IT???!!!
Sorry, but it's just crazy that you just can't comprehend even with what, 10+ of us telling you the same thing REGARDLESS of our personal preferences!!!
OUTDOOR & INDOOR TEMPS ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!! (usually...)
I think you really need to buy yourself one of those thermometers like we have that tells you indoor & outdoor temp! Or even just an indoor one & compare to what the news says it is outside...
Right now it's 72 outside & 75.7 inside...
So imagine if it was 30 outside...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also, this was posted in another thread - your house takes a while to catch up! If it's cold for more than a day, your house will never warm up! In FL, it ALWAYS warms up to at LEAST 60 in the day!!! Imagine if it didn't get above 20's!!!!!!!!!
You just don't get it. But everyone else on here has been there done that.
Take our advise. Think twice!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Default Greetings NAH

I live in Wisconsin, and have also lived in Florida like you. When you relocate to Oil City , by all means keep your thermostat set to 50 degrees for a few weeks, then be sure to check back in at this forum and tell us how it's working out. Even 60 degrees inside your house, on a cold, overcast day, will not be too comfortable. And I am not a rich guy in a quarter million dollar house.. I'm a factory worker. But utilities is something you can only cut back on so much, for your health, comfort, and maintaining house in good shape.
But I do applaud your adventurous spirit in wanting to do the Oil City thing. If it doesn't work out, at least you tried. Keep us posted.
My wife and I couldn't stand the southern heat and humidity either.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:48 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default The great raging thermostat debate

Well some of his theory might work.

This morning I had sun most of the time. Outside temp 58, partly cloudy forecast, that is at Lat. 39.76N. My thermostat at a comfortable 52 F, not reset from the night before, house cruising along at 62 F on sun power.

The fab Oil City at Lat. 41.43 to the far more frozen North is running at a chilly 53 F outside and sky is clear. So in theory a fellow could also be running under sun power in the house for a while. Week ahead not looking all that good, gloomy forecast, temps dropping. Direction of the thermostats is probably upward.

There is only one way to solve a lot of this debate. NAH should rent one of them Toyota's that get the super gas mileage, 60 MPG. Leave all the coins, candles, alley-gators with daddy. Head up to the Frozen North country to do a personal in depth investigation of all matters. Stay a couple of months, can sleep in the car / van, get to experience real temperature sort of out of control. (Well a fellow wouldn't really wouldn't have a control, nothing like a thermostat would he. )

Check out them tidy dense neighborhoods with three feet between houses. See what the thermostats are set at. See the locals in native costume in gay folic thru the deepening drifts. In dense packed conditions one house can block anothers sun. Theory can only take a fellow so far.

See what a mansion is like. See the 4300 Ft-2 up close and personal. Get the jump on all other would be buyers in early spring. Remember the old adage, buy straw hats in February. See those lawn chairs and garbage cans put out to hold parking places on neat streets. Recon and reconnoiter in depth. Be sure to check out those river depths and the amount of freeboard.

Some of this advante-Gard theory may work. I don't know what finesse a fellow might use on a big Ark of the Covenant sort of place with #13 guage wire covered by crumbly rubber / rayon; plumbing in the You Pray it Drops category and a brand new 1905 O-B-Gosh boiler. But many other intrepid souls have trod those decks before.

Oil City may have a secret card up its sleeve. In the Punxsutawney zone and Phil might just be able to give special secret audience to a new kid off the bus. To include being a sort of lap hog to add additional BTU's to the scene.

But we are getting to a phase where the Wishing and Wanting is waning. We need action and concrete Boots on the Ground data, hopefully with fresh ink not quite dry on that Buy & Sell paper. Always see the intended quarry in its most vulnerable state, namely -10 F with the snow piled navel high. A quick check of local thermostats in those conditions can quickly settle any raging debate issues.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:09 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Default Still waiting...

After seemingly 100's of posts on the subject, I'm still waiting to hear how the great move to Oil City worked out... the house for $50k or less, living with the thermostat set to 50 degrees, plenty of room for goldfish and stuffed toys, etc., etc.
Original poster (Need_affordable_home), also known as NAH, doesn't appear to have posted for a while.
Would I be correct in assuming he never made the move? Would I very possibly be correct in assuming he never even visited??
Those posts were a huge source of entertainment, and I miss them. And I did come to the conclusion that he was *serious*.
Hell, I'd be happy to hear that he took the plunge and moved *anywhere* up north to those cooler climates and cheaper houses he craved.
I just have this funny feeling it never happened.
And Cosmic, your posts and replies on the topic were just the best!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House