Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

I need to get my 7-year-old flat roof re-done. Does anyone know what the best material is? In other words, what kind of flat roof should I be getting? My mother says gravel. My neighbor says something called TPO roofing with insulation underneath. NO idea what that is.

Hoping for something that will last 10 years, ideally.

Any recs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
TPO is a new type of rubberized material. Lots of commercial buildings have used it with no problems. A local public building e has a PVC roof and its about 20 years old. TPO may be an improvement since then. There has been some patch work done and it looks like what we used to do to patch a bike inner tube. The old stuff was black but the newer stuff is white.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:16 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
If the roof is flat, as in flat, you might be able to find a roofer that will remove any gravel, clean the current surface, and remop it with dead level asphalt. The Type 1 dead level asphalt will stay a little sticky in the hot sun so you won't be able to walk on it and you won't put gravel on it. It will always seek a dead level naturally while on the roof. Any holes knocked in it will self fix itself unless the holes are huge. It's like putting the blob on your roof. The life expectancy if done correctly can be beyond 10 years.

FWIW, if the current roof is only 7 years old, I'd be wanting know why it failed so soon. A gravel roof can easily last 20 years.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:26 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
I'm on the TPO roof wagon.

Depending on your geographic location you can easily get 25-30yrs out of it.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
If the roof is flat, as in flat, you might be able to find a roofer that will remove any gravel, clean the current surface, and remop it with dead level asphalt. The Type 1 dead level asphalt will stay a little sticky in the hot sun so you won't be able to walk on it and you won't put gravel on it. It will always seek a dead level naturally while on the roof. Any holes knocked in it will self fix itself unless the holes are huge. It's like putting the blob on your roof. The life expectancy if done correctly can be beyond 10 years.

FWIW, if the current roof is only 7 years old, I'd be wanting know why it failed so soon. A gravel roof can easily last 20 years.
I need 2 flat roofs re-done: one on a carport, another on a patio.

The carport roof that is there now (installed by previous owner) is roll roofing that I believed was applied with tar. That roof is not leaking but the roof is shot.

The other flat roof (over patio) I need re-done has some kind of bitumen roofing. That one is leaking in a corner.

Both of these roofs are 7 years old.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:39 AM

The roof estimates I have are for TPO and the roofer says it has a 12-year warranty.

Is there anything better than TPO?

Old 12-19-2017, 11:04 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Flat roof always sounded like square tire to me.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:24 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The roof estimates I have are for TPO and the roofer says it has a 12-year warranty.

Is there anything better than TPO?
I suppose a shift to a pitched roof would qualify. I had to deal with flat roofs on commercial buildings for years. The membrane solution is the way to go. With any roof, the stability of the support structure is key. Thermal differences around parapets and shifting loads from rain or snow make cracks in tar at those locations an eventual given as it loses flexibility. A membrane roof that has a leak only takes a simple patch over an obvious split or hole. A leak in a tar / gravel roof can be impossible to find, and the only relatively certain repair is an entire re-roof. BTDT.

The warranty on a roof is limited to protect the roofer. The warranty and expected life span of the material is more critical.

BTW, on a flat roof, once it is done, NOBODY goes up there. As many as half the leaks in one are from humans somehow puncturing it. Newbie HVAC techs are the worst.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
Hopefully, it's not a truly "flat" roof. There should be at least some pitch to a drain with cants or tapered insulation. A flat roof that ponds water will fail much sooner than one that sheds water.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:55 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
I put a regular asphalt shingle roof on a porch with 1 in 12 pitch. Neighbor who knows a thing or two about roofing told me I should have used roll asphalt, not shingles. That would match the rest of the house. TPO may be more difficult to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House