Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

I moved into this newly built low-income apartment building a little over six years ago. For the entire time I have been here my toilet does not flush as it should. I have not done anything to keep it a "secret". I've told management, the owners, my neighbors, etc. Once in a while a maintenance guy (there have been some doozies here) that "checked it out"........ poured some kind of fluid down it, ran a "snake" down it, more recently another gadget was tried. None of these have resolved the problem at all. Sometimes I've gotten attitude because I am complaining about it.

The problem is when liquid is put in the toilet, it works 99.9% of the time. But put something solid in it? Different story. Most of the time when solids are in there, it won't flush all the way, "stuff" get stuck and I have to use a stick to make it more flushable. Then I get the Clorox out to clean the stick, pour in the toilet, etc.

A friend recommended I call the board of health as this could be considered a serious health problem.

I've more recently been told a plumber is called but have to wait till they can come (at Christmas time could be a wait). Then wait to see if whatever the plumber does works. If not, then and only then, I'll get one of those pressurized toilets. And since it has already been six years, when can I expect something to be done.

Anyone care to offer a suggestion?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
I would start by calling - if no response, then faxing, emailing, snail mail, certified mail.

There is no excuse for this not being addressed right away.

Read your lease and copy the pertinent parts (or go to the City website and find laws, rules, etc., that explain your rights).

Order a tenant book from Nolo.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:53 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I once got an asbestos problem solved by calling my assemblyman. Are you a registered voter? If so, call them.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:57 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
What’s in the bylaws? Is management legally responsible to resolve the entire issue?
Many times unseen plumbing will be covered by the building but fixtures(your toilet)will be on you.

Regardless of liability, the problem needs to be diagnosed properly.
You need to find out if it’s a problem with the toilet or the waste line.
Might be worth the bucks(from a mental standpoint) to hire your own plumber to diagnose the problem and go from there as far as who-what-where is needed to solve the issue.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:11 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
This should answer your question AND when mentioned should light a fire under somebody's ass!

Onondaga County Commission on Human Rights

Scroll down to the "repair" section.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This should answer your question AND when mentioned should light a fire under somebody's ass!

Onondaga County Commission on Human Rights

Scroll down to the "repair" section.

Thank you!! I believe you have solved the problem (I hope). I could tell you of at least one or two other incidents involving other tenants that were allowed to continue. Senior women timid and afraid to take any action on their own behalf. The owners of this apartment (and several other apartments) seem to be interested only in collecting the rent.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I once got an asbestos problem solved by calling my assemblyman. Are you a registered voter? If so, call them.
What's being a registered voter got to do with it? Elected representatives are there to serve all constituents, not just those that are registered to vote. Or is NYC so corrupt that only registered voters with a D after their name get taken care of?

Old 12-21-2017, 02:13 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What’s in the bylaws? Is management legally responsible to resolve the entire issue?
Many times unseen plumbing will be covered by the building but fixtures(your toilet)will be on you.

Regardless of liability, the problem needs to be diagnosed properly.
You need to find out if it’s a problem with the toilet or the waste line.
Might be worth the bucks(from a mental standpoint) to hire your own plumber to diagnose the problem and go from there as far as who-what-where is needed to solve the issue.
I can't speak for New York, but in my state, these kinds of things are covered by Tenants' Rights laws. Landlords are responsible for any housing fixtures to be in working order, unless the tenant is negligent. Even if the management specifically has a contract clause that says that they are NOT responsible, and even if the tenant signs such a contract, the landlord can't enforce an illegal clause.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Withhold the rent in escrow, and notify the management in writing that this is what you are doing and demand they fix the problem within 30 days. Keep a copy of this notification, also send the notification registered mail so you have a receipt.
they cannot evict you while there is an ongoing dispute over this problem.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I moved into this newly built low-income apartment building a little over six years ago. For the entire time I have been here my toilet does not flush as it should. I have not done anything to keep it a "secret". I've told management, the owners, my neighbors, etc. Once in a while a maintenance guy (there have been some doozies here) that "checked it out"........ poured some kind of fluid down it, ran a "snake" down it, more recently another gadget was tried. None of these have resolved the problem at all. Sometimes I've gotten attitude because I am complaining about it.

The problem is when liquid is put in the toilet, it works 99.9% of the time. But put something solid in it? Different story. Most of the time when solids are in there, it won't flush all the way, "stuff" get stuck and I have to use a stick to make it more flushable. Then I get the Clorox out to clean the stick, pour in the toilet, etc.

A friend recommended I call the board of health as this could be considered a serious health problem.

I've more recently been told a plumber is called but have to wait till they can come (at Christmas time could be a wait). Then wait to see if whatever the plumber does works. If not, then and only then, I'll get one of those pressurized toilets. And since it has already been six years, when can I expect something to be done.

Anyone care to offer a suggestion?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Is it one of those environmentally friendly politically correct toilets? Get a real one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House