Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:15 AM

97 posts, read 138,845 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find comfortable sheets that also dry very quickly in an electric dryer. This is for a vacation rental property to speed up the time to finish the laundry when I have back-to-back guests so they still need to be cool, comfortable, and good quality. It is in a humid, tropical climate. I have been looking online - dry time does not seem to be a common comparison/criteria so I haven’t had much luck yet.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 01:05 PM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
What an interesting question. I would guess that cotton dries slowly, and thicker cotton slower yet. Cotton is often the percale weave. Of course to me those are the most comfortable.

But most people like the so-called sateen weave, and those are usually a synthetic fiber so would bind less water and thus dry quickly. Sateen has a lot of fibers in one direction and very few in the other direction. This creates a softer feel, while cotton percale sheets are crispy. People that prefer sateen think cotton is scratchy. Bamboo is an unknown to me, but it being natural might make it slower to dry.

Of course keeping the drier filter clear will also help with speed. Maybe pull any fluff out halfway thru the cycle.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:09 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Not bamboo. I have them and they are lovely, but they take long to dry.

Old 12-31-2017, 11:49 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,761 times
Funny enough I discovered some sheets at Walmart that are soft, deep, have elastic all around the bottom sheet, seem to resist staining, don't wrinkle and dry quickly. I found them quite by accident while staging a home and was so impressed with them I got a set for my son who loved them and since then have bought two more sets! I don't know the name of them but I think they are a microfiber sheet. They only seem to come in about 4-5 colors. White, gray, aqua and maybe a mushroom color? They have a very faint tone on tone pattern in them maybe a paisley. Very inexpensive!

Old 01-01-2018, 06:41 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Have a set of microfiber sheets-
They're practically dry when they come out of the washer- 15mins in the dryer; done.

They're somewhat comfortable, but they certainly aren't Egyptian cotton.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:56 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,187,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Funny enough I discovered some sheets at Walmart that are soft, deep, have elastic all around the bottom sheet, seem to resist staining, don't wrinkle and dry quickly. I found them quite by accident while staging a home and was so impressed with them I got a set for my son who loved them and since then have bought two more sets! I don't know the name of them but I think they are a microfiber sheet. They only seem to come in about 4-5 colors. White, gray, aqua and maybe a mushroom color? They have a very faint tone on tone pattern in them maybe a paisley. Very inexpensive!
I bought a set of micro fiber sheets from Walmart. They have other sets, other than solid set. The ones I got have a strip pattern. I think all the micro fibers are poly cotton blend and yes they do come out of wash practically dry. They are rather thin but have had for over a year and seem to not be worn. They are kind of slippery and seem to be comfortable per son. I do have issues of the top sheet never seems to stay on bed, it almost always on the floor in Am, but he does toss and turn a lot.

I've been tempted to sew the top sheet to the fitted sheet to keep that from happening.

I miss the old fashioned thick cotton sheet that "needed" ironing, not that I ever did that. I still have a few sheets from the 60's that belonged to MIL.. They seem so different from the "modern" ones.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-01-2018 at 11:06 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweez View Post
I am trying to find comfortable sheets that also dry very quickly in an electric dryer. This is for a vacation rental property to speed up the time to finish the laundry when I have back-to-back guests so they still need to be cool, comfortable, and good quality. It is in a humid, tropical climate. I have been looking online - dry time does not seem to be a common comparison/criteria so I haven’t had much luck yet.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
You need cotton sheets which will take time to dry. You could also find cotton poly blend sheets, but don't buy if the poly percentage is over 50%. Those should dry faster than the pure cotton sheets, but they won't feel as nice especially after a few washes.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:18 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I bought a set of micro fiber sheets from Walmart. They have other sets, other than solid set. The ones I got have a strip pattern. I think all the micro fibers are poly cotton blend and yes they do come out of wash practically dry. They are rather thin but have had for over a year and seem to not be worn. They are kind of slippery and seem to be comfortable per son. I do have issues of the top sheet never seems to stay on bed, it almost always on the floor in Am, but he does toss and turn a lot.

I've been tempted to sew the top sheet to the fitted sheet to keep that from happening.

I miss the old fashioned thick cotton sheet that "needed" ironing, not that I ever did that. I still have a few sheets from the 60's that belonged to MIL.. They seem so different from the "modern" ones.
the ones I have are not thin. slippery, yes I noticed that when folding them but no one has complained about then coming off the bed.

Pottery Barn has had the thick cotton sheets in the past. Usually a pattern. PB Kids sheets are pretty thick cotton too. Ive also got some from The Company Store that are thick cotton.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:35 PM

993 posts, read 766,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post

I have searched for those old fashioned sheets. I’ve bought several percale sets hoping they’d be close. But no, nothing is like those old cotton sheets with scalloped embroidery.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:10 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
I read somewhere that modern day percale sheets often get that crispy feel from some sort of coating vs. the old sheets that got it from a specific weave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House