Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

I'd be very tempted to tear out that porch enclosure and put the house back to its original look, then you could have a nice front door that people could actually see. The windows on the porch don't match the windows on the house, nor does the siding match, so it just looks odd to me. Get rid of the crooked downspouts on the sides of the porch, replace them with something else, maybe some ornamental rain chains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 09:40 PM

436 posts, read 579,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'd be very tempted to tear out that porch enclosure and put the house back to its original look, then you could have a nice front door that people could actually see.

This is an interesting idea. Fixer Upper has done this a time or two on their show, restoring the original look to the front. You could have a covered open porch.

There is a Flicker photo album called the Daily Bungalow. It has various historic paint schemes for bungalows with many color combinations.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-...7603365334024/

This is the green scheme album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-...7603365269658/

Old 12-31-2017, 10:07 PM

10 posts, read 50,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'd be very tempted to tear out that porch enclosure and put the house back to its original look, then you could have a nice front door that people could actually see. The windows on the porch don't match the windows on the house, nor does the siding match, so it just looks odd to me. Get rid of the crooked downspouts on the sides of the porch, replace them with something else, maybe some ornamental rain chains.
Thanks for the ideas! I am actually super sold on having a closed-in front porch due to having two huskies who run down the door for any and all visitors, so a double entry has been important to me. It fixes all of the headaches I have with holding two large dogs back when the door is open or stressing when people come and go.

I am going to fix the mismatched windows, though, and I cant wait to have a straightened downspout solution (having that fixed when the new roof is put on). I love the idea of rain chains, I was jus thinking new downspouts! I need to look in to this.

I totally agree on the mismatched siding, I don't quite know what to do for it. Yeah, I could reside with the same shape as the house, but I feel like I'm not thinking fully on it with that.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTexanTea View Post
This is an interesting idea. Fixer Upper has done this a time or two on their show, restoring the original look to the front. You could have a covered open porch.

There is a Flicker photo album called the Daily Bungalow. It has various historic paint schemes for bungalows with many color combinations.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-...7603365334024/

This is the green scheme album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/daily-...7603365269658/
Oh. My. Gosh. That Green Scheme is honestly what i need in my life right now. Thank you!

Old 12-31-2017, 10:56 PM

436 posts, read 579,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshuckleberry View Post
Thanks for the ideas! I am actually super sold on having a closed-in front porch due to having two huskies who run down the door for any and all visitors, so a double entry has been important to me. It fixes all of the headaches I have with holding two large dogs back when the door is open or stressing when people come and go.
Quote:
Oh. My. Gosh. That Green Scheme is honestly what i need in my life right now. Thank you!
That makes perfect sense, I think your home is going to be quite adorable when you done. It is a very cute style home. Perhaps you can update us. along the way.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Simply ask for that second estimate when you are interviewing roofing companies.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:29 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
I will soon close on this fixer upper. The first thing that will happen is a new roof, the inside actually looks quite nice compared to the outside.

One thing that I think would really take it up a notch outside of my DIY-realm is adding a slight overhang to the ends of the roof. I'm talking a few inches. I know how much a roof will cost, but I am wondering how much y'all think an overhang would cost in addition? Would it make as big of a difference as the siding being refreshed? I just want to add some depth to the look of the house (but I'm a teacher on a budget, so I'm choosing my projects carefully).

House Now:

https://imgur.com/G7UPBVe

House in new living color:

https://imgur.com/8AQhpzQ
OP, I would not do overhanging roof on this type house. I would either do gutters, which you could have added to your roofing estimates.....or dig a trench with pea gravel around the foundation to dissipate the water, or simply bank up the foundation so that any water runs away from your foundation.

Sorry, I hate the colors of the second pic. I would suggest a soft grey or sage green instead for this style home. You can do some color/soft white with the shutters, trim. It will be an adorable home. link below

Also, economically, some nice cottage type front beds, or lining your walkway will go a long way for curb appeal. Also, either side of your front door, nice urns with evergreen will dress it up nicely. link below

Potted urn ideas:https://www.google.com/search?q=pott...w=1366&bih=662

Here is a link to give you some ideas for your home color. https://www.google.com/search?q=bung...w=1366&bih=662

Last edited by JanND; 01-01-2018 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 11:29 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,160 times
The smaller and larger peaked roofs that mimic each other at the front is a very nice design. My opinion is that this feature is ruined by painting the upper part of each with a different color (brown in your image) from the rest of the house.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:39 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
I can't get the images off imgur but overhang has other purposes than looks.

Briefly, if you can do the added overhang, DO THE EXTRA OVERHANG. If it's affordable.

We recently bought a ranch. Our last three houses were splits. Splits have built-in overhang, plus the typical 16" of real overhang.

Our ranch has 7" overhang plus gutters. Gutters have issues, they are an imperfect solution to a problem.

If there was ANY way we could add overhang to a 2000 sq. ft. house I'd do it. But I don't know if I want to spend 10 grand on it. I haven't gotten an estimate, but that is not a project for the faint of heart.

Every House Needs Roof Overhangs | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com
"A house with improper overhangs can overheat in the summer, can suffer from water entry problems at windows and doors, and can have premature siding rot.

The most common design error is to make roof overhangs too stingy. It’s also possible (although much rarer) for roof overhangs to be too wide.

Read more: Every House Needs Roof Overhangs | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com
Follow us: @gbadvisor on Twitter | GreenBuildingAdvisor on Facebook "

Overhang protects the ground floor and basement from water and snow. Overhang provides some sun protection. Overhang IMO has no negatives.

You will have ice dams no matter what. If you want to eliminate them, install heaters in the roof and gutters. House heat will not have a big effect on melting ice dams.

Whatever the looks effect of overhang vs. minimal overhang, there are practical issues involved.

When we get a huge downpour, and if there's ANY gutter blockage, the gutters overflow and water comes cascading down right next to the house. Fortunately we seem to have pretty good drainage, but the fact is, the further from the house the rain or snow falls, the better off you and your house are.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP, I would not do overhanging roof on this type house. I would either do gutters, which you could have added to your roofing estimates.....or dig a trench with pea gravel around the foundation to dissipate the water, or simply bank up the foundation so that any water runs away from your foundation.

Sorry, I hate the colors of the second pic. I would suggest a soft grey or sage green instead for this style home. You can do some color/soft white with the shutters, trim. It will be an adorable home. link below

Also, economically, some nice cottage type front beds, or lining your walkway will go a long way for curb appeal. Also, either side of your front door, nice urns with evergreen will dress it up nicely. link below

Potted urn ideas:https://www.google.com/search?q=pott...w=1366&bih=662

Here is a link to give you some ideas for your home color. https://www.google.com/search?q=bung...w=1366&bih=662
Thanks! I also mean sage greens, I'm just bad at computer art! Definitely softer than the edit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House