Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 871 times

Advertisements

All of our appliances are bisque, & we need a new dishwasher. The kind we want only comes in white or stainless. Our cabinets are a medium oak stain. Our counter top is light also (kind of a cream/bisque/grey marbley color with a blue beveled edge). We’re not sure what to get. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 03:07 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
White with bisque would look like a hodgepodge. At least with stainless you are not mixing 'colors'. Instead you are introducing a new reflectivity. It would help if you added some other shiny stainless articles like canisters or even drawer pulls. Maybe a toaster or mixer left out would do.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:10 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Would you pick white or stainless if you needed to replace additional appliances? I'd go with whichever one you'd transition to overall because chances are that if you the d/w is old enough to be replaced, the other appliances will get to that point to. So this one appliance is the start of whatever color you want to end up with in the end.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:59 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I would do stainless because my refrigerator and stove are stainless and they would match and so are my drawer pulls and cabinet pulls and my cabinets are a dark oak which is just lovely and my husband did the staining saving us over a thousand dollars . Yes some general contractor wanted a thousand to do it . we will also add an oak island soon and new countertops as well . my husband will do all the work . contractors are just ridiculous with their prices for doing things .So yes stainless would be choice .

Old 01-01-2018, 09:54 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
All I can say is that I never had a stainless steel appliance before last year. We too have all bisque in our kitchen and it wasn't available, so we got stainless. The day it got installed, I came home and looked at it and, as I said to a friend later that day, what looked like the handprints of a thousand people were visible on the door. My friend said, "Oh yeah, never get stainless, you have to polish it all the time or it looks awful." I don't polish it all the time and she was right, it looks gosh awful.

I don't care if with my next appliance purchase, the salesperson tells me the only choice is between stainless and purple stripes, I'm never getting stainless again.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:09 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I've never really wanted stainless but the new house came with all stainless appliance. They show every little mark. Every touch and fingerprint shows. I'm sure it makes a smudge whenever anyone walks through the kitchen, even when they don't touch the appliances.

Maybe the newer smoke color, darker stainless doesn't show marks as much? I've only seen that color in the higher end appliances.

But the advice is good to think about what color you want the rest of the appliances to be, as you replace them one by one.

Or, buy from an appliance store that can paint the white one into almond for you. Places that sell used appliances paint them all the time. Apparently, it is no big deal.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:17 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
I like the look of my stainless but if I did it over I would seriously consider doing white or black....maybe that newer ‘white stainless’ or whatever it’s called. In your case I would simply switch to another model that comes in bisque. A mismatched appliance will stick out like a sore thumb...especially bright white when everything else is cream/bisque/gray.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:52 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
My answer would be "anything but stainless". Although, if you did get the stainless, it could be painted bisque to match everything else. Or any other color you liked. Painting it would also allow the next appliance to match, too.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:10 AM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I like the look of my stainless but if I did it over I would seriously consider doing white or black....maybe that newer ‘white stainless’ or whatever it’s called. In your case I would simply switch to another model that comes in bisque. A mismatched appliance will stick out like a sore thumb...especially bright white when everything else is cream/bisque/gray.
I live in an apartment which when I moved to it the kitchen had all white everything. One of the main reasons I let the apartment.

Then the new owners came in, gutted the kitchen and installed all stainless steel and black appliances.

What a nightmare that was.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep that kitchen clean!

Black appliances. Horrible. Stainless....next to horrible.

Ever try to keep a black car clean. Every speck looks like a huge splatter of muck.

Same with appliances.

But if you don't cook and never enter the kitchen I guess it would be OK.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:04 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
OP, what do you like and want to live with every day?
If you get stainless, will the fingerprint issue bother you?
If you go with white, will you be OK with the white/bisque combination?

For myself, I'd look for another dishwasher that was available in bisque (I also have bisque appliances with medium cabinets and counters).

If you are really set on that one dishwasher I'd go with stainless or get it painted bisque, unless you plan to change everything over to white eventually.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House