Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,720,453 times

Advertisements

Always use GE...never a problem through the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:09 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,882,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have to replace our front-loader and have nothing budgeted for it, it was a surprise. I am trying to convince my wife on a $300 used speed queen I found on craigslist. However you have to put quarters into it to make it run. You just take the quarters out and use them again so it is not big deal. She is not convinced.

Speed Queen are commercial washers, durable, large capacity and very high spin speed. This reduces drying time. The best thing though i they are durable and easy to repair if something breaks.
The SQ used in laundromats is exactly the same one you can buy at the store for home use, so you just remove the part that requires the quarter and you have the same machine. If you can't figure out how, ask a washer tech, I bet it is very simple...
Good luck...

Old 01-09-2018, 04:14 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,882,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Always use GE...never a problem through the years.
As of about four years ago, most any brand would work well and do a good job. Then YOUR government got involved and demanded the mfg's make all kind of changes for conservation purposes. Supposed to save water. It doesn't because you have to wash the same load a few time to get the clothes clean. They are also very slow, takes a couple of hours top do a load. SQ will do a load in 30 minutes.
So if you have a machine more than four years old, you're OK, but when it comes time to purchase a new one, Speedqueen on nothing... Ask any appliance repair person...

Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,788,066 times
We bought a Samsung after we got a $550 rebate because our previous one was recalled. It works fabulous, I would recommend a Front Loader and matching dryer. My old Whirlpool lasted 30+ plus years and is still working (we left it when we sold the house and moved 1000 miles away) my old Maytag dryer, except for a belt, is still going strong after 25+ years(it was a wedding present and lasted longer than my marriage). The companies are not the same as they were. LG, Samsung are making major inroads. GE is owned by Haier, a Chinese conglomerate. Maytag is part of Whirlpool, Roper, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit, and Consul.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,677,477 times
I had a matched GE set almost 20 years. Only replaced it because I thought I was upgrading. I got a matched LG set (front loader) and it went through 3 motors in 6 years. Replaced it with a Maytag top loader and couldnt be happier. The LG dryer is still going strong but the washer was garbage.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 PM

15,167 posts, read 7,201,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Anyone who purchases anything but a Speed Queen wash machine is wasting their money. Once the Government got involved a few years ago, all of the name brand washers went to pot.
Speed Queen is the only washer who got around the new regulations and they are great, if you don;t believe me, go into any Laundromat and you will see nothing but Speed Queen. They work 24/7 in commercial use and last forever, plus they actually get your close clean.
They are fast, too. Much faster than any other. No I don't work for them, I just have had experience with other brands and cured my problems with Speed Queen.
Too late for a SpeedQueen. Their new 2018 models are as bad as everyone else, since the government imposed has made them comply with the same energy and water efficiency rules.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,167,691 times
Newer washing machines are junk. I avoid them if I can. For two reasons:

1. I don't need or want some "greenie" clown telling me what "Hot" means. 110 degrees F is not a hot wash. Not even close. That junk is programmed into washing machines these days (and you pay for that "technology - built into the purchase price - like it or not). I have one of those. I had to hook up a hose to a double valved "Y" on my hot water spigot so I can put pure hot water (140 degrees) into that machine if I want to.

2. My two newest machines have several cycles that are over one hour ten minutes long! My old machines had a "super wash" (longest) cycle of 30 minutes. I have no idea what this machine is doing for that extra 40 minutes. But it is running all that time, using electricity all that time, and the clothes aren't any cleaner. Real "Energy Saver." Yeah.

BTW, look at Complaints Board.com. Those brands you have listed are the most troublesome brands. Stick with Whirlpool. Next to the old Kenmores, those are the longest lasting machines. Today's Maytag is apparently not your gramma's Maytag. Definitely avoid that.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:13 PM

219 posts, read 155,936 times
It's not too late to buy an old-style Speed Queen if you hop on it ASAP. I just bought a 2017 mechanically controlled model as my front loader died on me. The sales person told me that he still has twenty or so in stock and when they're gone, they're gone. I hope that it performs as well as everyone says that it will as it was a pricey appliance investment. *fingers crossed*

Old 01-09-2018, 09:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
I've got a HE washer that is pretty new and is not spinning. Warranty is up. I'm going to troubleshoot it myself. I suspect a relay.

I've learned that when a model is discontinued, there's a reason.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:38 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,893,800 times
My 24 year old Whirlpool washer & drier have convinced me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House