Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:27 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times

Advertisements

I recently moved into a 2BR/2BA roughly 1100 sq. ft condo. I had been living in a similarly sized 2BR apartment, but moved in with my parents for about a year after a financial emergency. They have about 4,000 sq. ft, and I accumulated even more stuff. Their house is swimming in my stuff and their stuff.

This is just scratching the surface of what I'm trying to get rid of. I have no idea where to take some of this. I'm trying to sort into piles of donate, keep, and trash. Give me your recommendations on what to do with it.

1) Nonworking tube TV - this was something of my grandmother's. Best Buy seems to be the only place in the area that will take them. I'll have to pay $25 to get rid of it. Anyone have a better idea?

2) Busted LED TV - I accidentally broke this a few months ago. It was something like $250 new, and fell off my dresser. I grabbed it, but when I did, the screen shattered. I may repair it, but it's on eBay as-is. Will depend

3) Multiple PC monitors - they are mostly 15"-19" LCDs. Some are mine, some are my father's. No one wants any of them. They are on eBay and a Facebook yard sale group, but have had no interest. eWaste otherwise?

4) Books - there are literally several hundred in boxes I probably won't keep. Most were purchased at thrift stores. I may try and take some to a local book reseller for store credit. Otherwise recycle?

5) Bulk men's clothing. Mostly mine in bags. Shirts, shorts, socks, underwear, some pants. None of it is that valuable or nice. Should this go to Salvation Army or the garbage?

6) Nicer men's coats. Probably ten. L/XL. I'm planning on sending these to Salvation Army.

7) Probably ten bedspreads/comforters of various ages. These have been I'm planning on sending these to the local animal shelter.

8) A ton of old dishes. The glass/plastic are going to recycling. I have no idea what to do with the plates.

9) Several boxes of parquet wood flooring. This is from 2004. I have no idea what kind of shape it's in. Craigslist?

9) Hundreds of CDs/DVDs in jewel cases. These were created during the Netflix DVD craze. We have at least two totes packed to the point they flex with DVDs in jewel cases. Is any of this recyclable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 10:08 PM

2,187 posts, read 7,977,663 times
1. The dump? I know our dump takes them at no charge. or FB Buy Trade sell for free

2. post in FB buy trade sell for free.

3.dump

4. Donate to Library, Retirement homes, etc.

5.GOODWILL

6. ^^^

7. GREAT IDEA

8. Yes

9.Habitat For Humanity

10. You can probably sell or give them away on Buy Trade sell.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Tube TVs have some environmentally hazardous materials. I don't want to send that to a landfill.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 PM

912 posts, read 1,278,659 times
If the location listed for you is accurate, the city has an ewaste recycling drop off for broken electronics. Recycling | City of Johnson City, TN

Old 01-09-2018, 07:55 AM

9,346 posts, read 13,945,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Tube TVs have some environmentally hazardous materials. I don't want to send that to a landfill.
They won't put it in the landfill. Their purpose is to collect these to go to appropriate disposal. Most counties have toxic waste disposal whereby each item (paint, oil, tires, solvents, etc.) all go to different vendors for proper recycling. Same with your tube TV or old appliances.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
3) Multiple PC monitors - they are mostly 15"-19" LCDs. Some are mine, some are my father's. No one wants any of them. They are on eBay and a Facebook yard sale group, but have had no interest. eWaste otherwise?

Goodwill. I just bought one at Goodwill for $8. They had about five of them. They obviously accept them (LCD, not CRT). Salvation Army I think will not take them, but you can ask.

4) Books - there are literally several hundred in boxes I probably won't keep. Most were purchased at thrift stores. I may try and take some to a local book reseller for store credit. Otherwise recycle?

Local Library. Almost all of them have an annual book sale that helps fund the library. When my mother died, we donated over 2000 books to the library where my wife works. You get a tax deduction too under the old tax law.

5) Bulk men's clothing. Mostly mine in bags. Shirts, shorts, socks, underwear, some pants. None of it is that valuable or nice. Should this go to Salvation Army or the garbage?

Socks and underwear are not accepted unless it is brand new. There are donation bins that simply bale up the clothing and ship it to another country where it is re-sold or shredded for rags or stuffing. Be careful to check in them though. We put a bunch of stuff in one box that was something like "U.S. Children's Charities. Later, we discovered they were supporting Hamas with the money. Now, I mostly stick with agencies that i know.

6) Nicer men's coats. Probably ten. L/XL. I'm planning on sending these to Salvation Army.

Good idea. Salvation Army or Purple heart will come pick everything up if you have a lot. You shave to schedule an appointment.

7) Probably ten bedspreads/comforters of various ages. These have been I'm planning on sending these to the local animal shelter.

A local homeless shelter or Salvation army would be good too. Salvation army does not want them if they are stained or have holes in them.

8) A ton of old dishes. The glass/plastic are going to recycling. I have no idea what to do with the plates.

Donate them along with the rest of the stuff if they are china/glass. Or set up a canvas covered booth in your basement and throw baseballs at them to relieve stress. (you could use some old comforters instead of canvas).

9) Several boxes of parquet wood flooring. This is from 2004. I have no idea what kind of shape it's in. Craigslist?

This is probably trash. Maybe just put them at the curb with a free sign on it. Unless there is enough to do a room, it is worthless.

9) Hundreds of CDs/DVDs in jewel cases. These were created during the Netflix DVD craze. We have at least two totes packed to the point they flex with DVDs in jewel cases. Is any of this recyclable?[

If they work - Salvation army or You local Library. If they are scratched up and do not work, you can recycle them. Also artists love them. They make all kinds of things out of them. Some people like to make mobiles of them and hang them in trees. I think it looks trashy, but people lover the way the reflect sunlight as the wind moves them around.

The most simple thing for you would be to just call salvation army or purple heart and schedule a pick up. They will take almost anything (except CRT TVs and monitors). When they came to our house, they asked if there was anything else we wanted to get rid of. I pointed out two rusty old kids bikes that were left outside for years. They were thrilled to get them. They would clean them up or use them for parts. A bag of garbage clothing I was going to throw away (mostly suit coats with no pants) - they were glad to have them they would sort through and make use of some of it. A broken couch ("we can fix it") they ended up nearly filling their truck before they left. I was happy.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:29 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,020,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I recently moved into a 2BR/2BA roughly 1100 sq. ft condo. I had been living in a similarly sized 2BR apartment, but moved in with my parents for about a year after a financial emergency. They have about 4,000 sq. ft, and I accumulated even more stuff. Their house is swimming in my stuff and their stuff.

This is just scratching the surface of what I'm trying to get rid of. I have no idea where to take some of this. I'm trying to sort into piles of donate, keep, and trash. Give me your recommendations on what to do with it.

1) Nonworking tube TV - this was something of my grandmother's. Best Buy seems to be the only place in the area that will take them. I'll have to pay $25 to get rid of it. Anyone have a better idea?

2) Busted LED TV - I accidentally broke this a few months ago. It was something like $250 new, and fell off my dresser. I grabbed it, but when I did, the screen shattered. I may repair it, but it's on eBay as-is. Will depend

9) Hundreds of CDs/DVDs in jewel cases. These were created during the Netflix DVD craze. We have at least two totes packed to the point they flex with DVDs in jewel cases. Is any of this recyclable?
#1, 2, 3: I'd check if there's an eWaste pickup or facility in your area and get rid of it all. Nobody wants 15'19" monitors anymore
#4: without know what kids of books, that could be a good idea, or if they're just paperback junk, I'd recycle
#5: I'd only donate stuff in new or near-new condition. Trash the rest.
#6 yes
#7: yes!
#8: goodwill or trash
#9: craigslist (with a time limit) or Habitat Restore
other #9: recyclable, but the IP protector in me would say shred or otherwise destroy before recycling

Old 01-09-2018, 07:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
Donate as much as possible to Goodwill. We call our trash haulers to ask if they will pick up bigger stuff. Costs an extra $16. I don’t know if trash haulers will take TVs or old electronics. Some electronics can be donated to Goodwill,

Salvation Army will pick up unwanted firnitire, if they think they can resell it.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM

32,506 posts, read 47,512,022 times
The old tube tv... is that in a decent wood cabinet? There are people out there that turn old furniture into shabby chic. And I've seen them with old tv cabinets converted into something else. You can look on Craigslist furniture and see if one of those guys will come and take the tv for free.

I think those old tubes are worth something to a small number of specific collectors who restore antique electronics, but I have no idea how to reach them.

Men's coats could go to a homeless shelter where you would be doing more good than if you send them to a thrift store.

Books could be taken to the senior center and put out in a box labeled "free".

Old 01-13-2018, 02:06 PM

41,746 posts, read 74,732,146 times
Everything you've mentioned can be given away or donated. None of it belongs in the landfill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House