Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 AM

445 posts, read 764,390 times

Advertisements

I am a professional shower door/glass installer

If you are considering a sliding (bypass is the correct term) shower door for a tub/shower combo, its important to realize that modern sliding shower doors have an "L" shaped track at the bottom so water just flows back into the tub. SO cleaning/mold is not as much of an issue as years past. Also, consider a 1/4" or 3/8" semi-frameless design. There is still a frame around the perimeter of the enclosure, but the door panels themselves are just sheets of glass with polished edges. Much more attractive than a framed bypass.

I can also say with certainty that clear glass is the only "on trend" option. Frosted/obscure glass might as well be floral wallpaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,237,545 times
I was so excited to get my builder to do a $1k frameless shower upgrade. It is really beautiful when clean, but I'm lazy. It had been looking dirty, so I got some non ammonia window cleaner, and it looks better, but lots of water scum at the bottom. Once I get around to getting ammonia Windex, it will probably look clean. I probably haven't cleaned the shower in months. It only takes 10 minutes to clean once a week but I'm lazy.

Also, I'm clumsy and sometimes have bumped against it and paranoid the little brackets won't support it.

If I had to do it again, I think I would do

1. Just a shower curtain rod
2. Frameless shower WITH header frame
3. Frameless shower
4. Framed shower

Old 01-16-2018, 12:53 PM

22,858 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
I was so excited to get my builder to do a $1k frameless shower upgrade. It is really beautiful when clean, but I'm lazy. It had been looking dirty, so I got some non ammonia window cleaner, and it looks better, but lots of water scum at the bottom. Once I get around to getting ammonia Windex, it will probably look clean. I probably haven't cleaned the shower in months. It only takes 10 minutes to clean once a week but I'm lazy.

Also, I'm clumsy and sometimes have bumped against it and paranoid the little brackets won't support it.

If I had to do it again, I think I would do

1. Just a shower curtain rod
2. Frameless shower WITH header frame
3. Frameless shower
4. Framed shower
If the "scum" is mineral deposits from hard water, ammonia won't get rid of it. If its soap scum it should work. You can test it by trying a hard water spot remover (CLR, Lime Away) to see what dissolves the scum. Once you know, keeping it clean will be simpler.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,316,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm a woman and I hate shower curtains.

But then again, I don't clean my shower and if I had a husband, he wouldn't either, I have housecleaners who do.
Hope you give the house cleaners a big tip at the holidays!!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
I am a professional shower door/glass installer

If you are considering a sliding (bypass is the correct term) shower door for a tub/shower combo, its important to realize that modern sliding shower doors have an "L" shaped track at the bottom so water just flows back into the tub. SO cleaning/mold is not as much of an issue as years past. Also, consider a 1/4" or 3/8" semi-frameless design. There is still a frame around the perimeter of the enclosure, but the door panels themselves are just sheets of glass with polished edges. Much more attractive than a framed bypass.

I can also say with certainty that clear glass is the only "on trend" option. Frosted/obscure glass might as well be floral wallpaper.
Eventually this clear glass will also be outdated...

Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,379,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Eventually this clear glass will also be outdated...
One can only hope...

Old 01-17-2018, 01:06 PM

3,993 posts, read 2,670,136 times
The house I bought two years ago had sliding glass doors in both full bathrooms, which I hated. First, there was hard water in the house, and the doors showed it. We could scrub, and they never got clean. I had a water softener (with salt tablets) installed in the house shortly after moving in, but that doesn't change the damage already done to the fixtures.

The master bathroom, due to a leak, was quite a bit redone, including a new bathtub. I had the sliding glass doors yanked out and installed a curtain. Makes it easier to clean, get in and out, and sometimes, when taking a bath, I like to hang my leg over the side of the tub. Now there's no track cutting into me when I do that.

I'd like to take the glass door out of the other full bathroom, but my sister uses it, and seems to like it.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,247,527 times
I can't believe how many people like shower curtains. I HATE those things. I would happily deal with cleaning a glass tract than deal with annoying, dirty shower curtains.

I hate how they suck in on you when your taking a shower, I hate how the fold over and never dry, leading to mildew accumulation, and I hate the tacky designs of 90% of them out there.

I suppose the higher-end shower curtains are better at all these things. But if you're spending a lot of money on these things, then why not just go with something nicer, like glass?

Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I can't believe how many people like shower curtains. I HATE those things. I would happily deal with cleaning a glass tract than deal with annoying, dirty shower curtains.

I hate how they suck in on you when your taking a shower, I hate how the fold over and never dry, leading to mildew accumulation, and I hate the tacky designs of 90% of them out there.

I suppose the higher-end shower curtains are better at all these things. But if you're spending a lot of money on these things, then why not just go with something nicer, like glass?
If you buy a heavy-duty liner and a nice curtain for over it, those things don’t happen. The good liners have magnets that hold the liner next to the tub.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 AM

14,193 posts, read 14,553,672 times
For shower curtain users, try one of those bowed shower curtain rods. Makes for more space especially for the upper part of the body. I always used a fabric shower curtain plus a cheap liner. I replaced the liner once a year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House