Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 AM

13,690 posts, read 7,976,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buicklimit View Post
If the owner is sure there is leak, he may put this info in the disclosure. However, he may not be sure the discoloratioin is due to leak or something else. Therefore, no one knows until someone test it with a meter.
Another vote for simply wood discoloration but certainly have someone test area with a meter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not sure about all states, but in NY the seller usually doesn’t disclose anything and instead pays a $500 fee to buyer.
"What is this 'usually' thing?
I always filled out a disclosure sheet and never paid nobody nuttin'.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:02 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
What causes the change of color at the middle height of the wood panel along the wall?
Often wood panels are made with thin strips of wood. They take a log, strip the bark off and start slicing in thin slices and then cut the slices into strips. Which they fit together. Wood is natural, so there is natural color differences due to drought/rain cycles.

I’m betting there is no water issues, but you should get a home inspection, and write your contract contingent on the home inspection. Let the inspector know your concerns.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:29 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Often wood panels are made with thin strips of wood. They take a log, strip the bark off and start slicing in thin slices and then cut the slices into strips. Which they fit together. Wood is natural, so there is natural color differences due to drought/rain cycles.

Let's disregard the previous; this has nothing to do with "plywood". No need to muck the waters.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:33 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Oh, that explains everything. You have no idea what's going on; and assumed there something wrong "behind" the wall. Did you perhaps read or actually see a disclosure form? I'm sure if that were a "leak" is would be listed.

I'll put money on just color differences in the plywood veneer.
My contractor other-half is arguing this point but now that K'ledgeBldr says it I believe it.

I guess the most telling thing, as pointed out to me, is the place where the two sheets meet and the discoloration doesn't occur on the next sheet. The discoloration continues around that column because the same board was used to wrap it.

Because this is a question for you, perhaps have your contractor stick a moisture meter on it as suggested. I'm not familiar those and now I want one. I'm going to ask the shops at work if they have one I can play with.

I really encourage anyone buying a home to spend $150 or so for an inspection by YOUR contractor. Not just an inspector for your lending institution. I had a VA inspector come through and do NOTHING. And he missed so much. The house ended up being a money pit except I had no money so... really bad.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:29 AM

53 posts, read 60,177 times
Can Moisture meter be used to checking this problem?

The meters are as follows:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/moisture+meter?NCNI-5

Old 01-20-2018, 12:07 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=553270

Old 01-20-2018, 01:49 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Can Moisture meter be used to checking this problem?

The meters are as follows:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/moisture+meter?NCNI-5
That paneling isn't wet. It's simply different colors of the wood that the veneer came from.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM

I checked the panels with a moisture meter. At some parts (the darker part), it is 6%. At the other parts, no reading can be shown up (just show -----). It rained one day ago.

Last edited by buicklimit; 01-28-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House