Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I've had 3 Samsung appliances (and a couple tech goodies). To me, they are like Apple in they have good style and good concept, but the 2 fridges I've had were both plagued by the same problem, although in different manor. The first burned out the defrost heater after a couple years and it's a "major replacement item" that requires draining the freon.... unless you're a handy DIYer, then it's $40 and an hour of time. The second (current) drains the condensation through the freezer area and it freezes solid, which leads to flooding out the interior. A couple sections of copper electrical wire that I soldered to the heating element and protrude through the area that used to freeze over.

But I absolutely love the fact that they are dual-compressor units... fridge having a problem? Doesn't impact the freezer. They have both been the Quietest fridges I've lived with too, by a long way. I mentioned the styling already, fit and finish just seems to be a step up from their competitors.

I'm not sure I'd stay away from Samsung, but I'm comfortable with DIYing solutions to stupid problems. I don't think I should Have to, but because they exist I get to buy the used appliances for stupid cheap. Buying new and not a DIY/handy person... yeah, Samsung probably isn't the right brand for you. I'm also hesitant on LG, but that's perhaps bias from years ago when they were entering the market and their stuff was utter crap.

The Samsung range I bought more than a decade ago was 100% rock solid in performance and build. The tech stuff, similarly, has been mostly without fault (issue with a printer, but that was due to cheaping out on some capacitors that didn't perform at elevation, which is standard procedure and well known among the electronics community that live a mile or more above sea level).
That's a really stupid design, given that defrost heaters are one of the more frequently replaced parts in a fridge. A serious knock against Samsung, thanks for "ratting them out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 02:12 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
I would never buy Samsung again. We have had our French door fridge and w/d for 3 1/2 years and have had problems with all of them.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:04 PM

64 posts, read 61,483 times
I highly recommend going to an appliance store that deals only in appliances. You will get the best information and recommendations from someone who deals only in appliances and knows their stuff. They will be educated enough in their field that they may be able to guide you towards a model in your price range that is close to the style if not the style you want. The stores you mention really don’t have anywhere close to everything that is on the market.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I really think it’s just a crapshoot with appliances. If both the LG and the Samsung meet your needs, I’d go with the one that is on sale.

I just got a Samsung French door, bottom freezer and I like the bottom freezer just fine. I like everything about it. It was between that and a very like model GE. The Samsung was $800 cheaper, so that is what we got.

If you are worried, get the extended warranty.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
I have a bottom freezer and love how much it holds but it is an organizational disaster. We previously had a side by side and I HATED how narrow the freezer was. It meant I couldn't chill a sheet pan of cookies before I iced them, or store a big frozen pizza etc. It looks to me like, brand aside, the 4 door would be the worst of those worlds. Not only is the freezer narrow and divided like a side by side, but you have to do a deep knee'd squat everytime you want something from the bottom of one of those doors/drawers. I'd much rather just bend over normally and wade through the unorganized pile in my one big bottom drawer.

We have an LG fridge that has had no problems but YMMV.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I have a Samsung - have had it for 3 years and no problems. My mom has had one for over a decade and no problems. Obviously some people have issues, but that will be the case with any brand.

The model you are interested in is the one I wanted but at that time, they did not have the counter depth version. I was moving into new construction so it wasn't like I could get by with my old fridge and wait for the counter depth one to come out. So I got a side by side with the showcase door and I love it. It holds so much food and helps keep things from getting lost in the depths of a fridge because everything on both the door and the shelves is so much more visible.

But even though it's bigger than a freezer in a french door, it's still not a lot of freezer space in a counter depth unit, especially with an icemaker. So I bought a separate freezer to put in the garage - I batch cook and I also stock up on things when they are on sale, so I really needed a lot more freezer space.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:29 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
I've had my Samsung since 2012 and it's worked flawlessly so far.

I work in other people's homes and they're 50-50 LG and Samsung. With a few legacy brands here and there.

NOBODY has had any issues with either one that I know of.

Funny I got mine at Best Buy of all places. And they were the only ones who had the model I wanted. Bottom freezer regular top. The price was $400 off original retail.

If I had more space I'd have the French Doors because I store A LOT OF PRODUCE, I mean A LOT. And nothing beats that space they offer.

I did buy the extended warranty because in the 1990's I bought an expensive Amana and the DAY BEFORE the warranty ran out, the thing died. Boy was I happy I had that warranty.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:47 AM

186 posts, read 175,483 times
LG refrigerator 3 door. Samsung TV's never had problems with either

Old 01-18-2018, 01:30 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,310 times
We have a SS Samsung that is a side-by-side with water/ice dispenser. It’s noisy whenever making ice. It makes random odd noises, but it’s all related to the ice maker. It works greats, has great space, and looks good, but definitely not always quiet.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:43 AM

7 posts, read 3,885 times
Is this question still relevant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House