Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:07 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I would keep the temperature of my Alaska house at 45 degrees from October to December and from January to April, and I never had a problem with frozen pipes.
...certainly it depends on how well they're insulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 12:26 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I read this is an apartment, not a stand alone house. that implies shared walls of some sort. I for the life of me can't figure out how this would be on the tenant. How would this happen if the apartment was 52 degrees?

What a mess, I'm so sorry for you OP.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:43 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,351 times
Why are you waiting until tomorrow morning to call your landlord? Call him/her immediately! His insurance company should cover the damage to the property. Do you have renter's insurance? It should cover the damage to your contents.

Always turn off the main water valve when you are leaving for an extended period of time.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:56 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I read this is an apartment, not a stand alone house. that implies shared walls of some sort. I for the life of me can't figure out how this would be on the tenant. How would this happen if the apartment was 52 degrees?

What a mess, I'm so sorry for you OP.
Yeah when I originally read it I imagined a house. I bet a pipe froze outside so water backed-up and burst.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,868 times
I’m sorry for the miscommunication but yes it’s a private house😢

Old 01-18-2018, 01:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Your landlord and his insurance policy will NOT cover your personal items. They will only be covered if you have a renters insurance policy. Hope you have one!

Old 01-18-2018, 04:48 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
52 degrees? lol .. i never knew thermostats went that low.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearsummer View Post
Who is responsible for the damages and charges.
Your landlord will call his insurance company for house damages
You will call your home insurance company for your belongings damage.

Done.

PS. You obviously need to tell him immediately. The longer the water sits there, the more damage happens.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:19 AM

779 posts, read 471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sorry, OP. You didn't keep the house warm enough to prevent the plumbing from freezing, so it is on you. Maybe your renter's insurance will cover it.. it's worth asking your insurance agent.

Advice for future, leave the heat on, leave under sink cabinets open AND TURN OFF THE MAIN WATER VALVE. That way, if the plumbing does break, or the heat goes off, there is very limited water in the pipes to cause damage,

No matter what climate you live in, if you are leaving town, you turn off the water at the meter.
It's not on her. I'd love to know how you determined this?

Old 01-19-2018, 03:18 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I wonder if a froze pipe outside your apartment could have caused the water to back-up and burst, but didn't freeze in your apartment? Just a possibility.
Water pipes don't burst from being "backed" up, else your pipes would blow every time you shut a faucet.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unless you were negligent in caring for the home that cause the pies to break, this is on the landlord. What is considered negligence would have ti be determined by the specific facts and how they mesh with case law. I don't think any Judge would hold you liable since you did have the heat on and it was set well above freezing. Now, you can be liable if your lease required you to keep the temperature at a minimum level. Additionally, your lease may have a requirement to notify the landlord if you will be away for a particular period of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
It's not on her. I'd love to know how you determined this?
She caused this by not providing adequate heat in the home. I feel that the landlord would most likely win a lawsuit should he pursue this. I don't see a reason for the landlord to do that though unless his insurance for some reason is inadequate. A more likely scenario is that the Insurance company may pursue a lawsuit to recover damages.

OP should immediately inform the landlord. Its most likely required by the lease agreement. It only makes you look guilty by delaying. Waiting isn't going to help anything but could cause further damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House