Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:21 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times

Advertisements

We have a jetted tub in the house we bought about a year ago. It's twenty years old. The inspector said it was fine.

Jetted tubs gross me out and I haven't dared to use it yet.

My first thought is to replace it with a regular soaking tub. My second thought is to try to save money and just use it as it is.

If I use it, but don't turn on the jets, does that keep the water out of the jetted system? I've heard so many stories about nightmare gunk and germs building up.

Does anyone enjoy using these things? If you do, how do you maintain it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 01:38 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Fill the tub a couple of inches above the highest jet with hot water. Add 1cup of dishwasher detergent (dry granular). Turn it on, with air admittance valve fully open let it run for 45mins/1hr; drain, fill to the same level with cold water, let run for 10-15mins, drain.

Here's the important step-
You "burp" the system after its drained. When the tub has completely drained turn the pump on and off quickly two times. This will expel the excess water left in the system and will allow air in to the system to keep mold/mildew at bay.

This should be done annually to keep the system good and clean. And of course the more you use it the less likely there will be problems.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Nope. They are gross. No matter what the tubes will retain moisture. Replace it.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:24 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Nope. They are gross. No matter what the tubes will retain moisture. Replace it.
As do sink faucets and hoses. Throw those out too while you are at it. And be sure to blow the water out of your traps under the sink and in your toilet with compressed air after use... And be sure to toss the dishwasher and clothes washer, as they too retain moisture.

Some people get grossed out easily. Fortunately, the most affected can't bear the grossness of what has to occur for procreation, so the affectation can be self-limiting. Moisture retention? Ewwww! Replace her!

To put it in perspective, if you are grossed out by a jetted tub, never EVER set a foot in the ocean. Do you know what the fish DO in there?!?!?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
We won't install one anymore. They are a wreck waiting to happen. Can't tell you how many I've been called back on that they don't work only to find it cruded up with slime. What comes out is beyond nasty. If you have the want to keep it, when you clean the tub every week, take a qt of cheap bleach and add it to a tub full of water. Run the system for 30 minutes. The bleach will kill the bacteria and keep it clean for a short time. If you don't clean the system every week, expect issues. Frankly, I'd take it out and put a nice tub in it's place but you're probably talking a few thousand to do so.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM

Thanks everyone.

This is probably a super stupid question, but if I use the tub but I don't use the jets, will the water still get into the tubes?

Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It will. Depending on the design, you might find a use for your old wine corks. Just be careful not to accidentally hit the "on" switch while in the tub or you might put your eye (or something else) out.

The stuff that can accumulate in any tub or shower is largely soap residue. In addition to KB's instructions, you can minimize the buildup by NOT using the tub for cleaning, but for the massage action of the jets. Shower to clean yourself.

BTW, a jetted tub makes a good place to wash a huge comforter. It'll clean without mashing down the filling.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Fill the tub a couple of inches above the highest jet with hot water. Add 1cup of dishwasher detergent (dry granular). Turn it on, with air admittance valve fully open let it run for 45mins/1hr; drain, fill to the same level with cold water, let run for 10-15mins, drain.

Here's the important step-
You "burp" the system after its drained. When the tub has completely drained turn the pump on and off quickly two times. This will expel the excess water left in the system and will allow air in to the system to keep mold/mildew at bay.

This should be done annually to keep the system good and clean. And of course the more you use it the less likely there will be problems.
I was going to suggest the same, but with bleach to disinfect. But the dishwasher detergent will probably dislodge some of the gunk.

I had one of these once and hated it. I felt like it shook the whole house.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It will. Depending on the design, you might find a use for your old wine corks. Just be careful not to accidentally hit the "on" switch while in the tub or you might put your eye (or something else) out.

The stuff that can accumulate in any tub or shower is largely soap residue. In addition to KB's instructions, you can minimize the buildup by NOT using the tub for cleaning, but for the massage action of the jets. Shower to clean yourself.

BTW, a jetted tub makes a good place to wash a huge comforter. It'll clean without mashing down the filling.
That's quite a visual lol

Good tip on the comforters!

Old 01-18-2018, 06:29 PM

If I were to replace it with a regular soaking tub, who would I call to do that? Is this something a plumber handles? Or is there electrical involved too?

I would hope that I could just take it out and pop in a regular soaker (it has framing and tiles around it), but I'm sure it is more complicated than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House