Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:30 PM

880 posts, read 2,346,136 times

Advertisements

I am interested in a property that has a pre-HUD (1975) mobile home on it. If I do purchase the property, I will end up building a house/cabin on it. This leads me to a two part question that I am hoping somebody here may be able to answer.

If I strip the mobile home down to the frame, and build new from the frame up, is it still considered a mobile home? I would remove the frame's tongue and axles so it would be more like a steel girder system as opposed to a trailer.

If it is still considered a mobile home, do I need to build it to current HUD standards instead of just building to local building code?

Basically, I'm trying to determine if it is worth trying to recycle any of the mobile home, or if I need to start from a clean slate. The property is located in upstate VT. I don't have a need for a basement or similar as this place would not be a permanent residence. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:52 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Just use it as a temp shelter until the permanent residence is built- haul it off!

Old 02-23-2018, 04:05 PM

14,490 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I think you should ask this question of your local building dept... and the local HUD office that does MFH inspections. Here in WA that's done through Labor and Industries... who it is in your jurisdiction may vary.

Ask how far down it can be broke down before it's not considered a MFH home any more.

Only then will you know if it's worth saving any part of it.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Just use it as a temp shelter until the permanent residence is built- haul it off!
This won't work as the trailer currently resides where the new structure would reside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think you should ask this question of your local building dept... and the local HUD office that does MFH inspections. Here in WA that's done through Labor and Industries... who it is in your jurisdiction may vary.

Ask how far down it can be broke down before it's not considered a MFH home any more.

Only then will you know if it's worth saving any part of it.
Thanks for the info. This helps give me some direction on who to talk too. I will see what I can find out.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:28 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
This won't work as the trailer currently resides where the new structure would reside.

They call it a "mobile home" for a reason!

Old 02-24-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
They call it a "mobile home" for a reason!
The layout of the property limits its location (it is sloped), and I'd want to reuse the current locations for hookups (well, septic, electric).

Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 AM

After Diana Holbrook pointed me in the right direction, I was able to get the answers I was looking for, thank you.

I figured I would put the answers here in case somebody stumbles upon this thread in the future.

No mobile home built prior to 1976 can be brought up to HUD standards because it is not constructed in an offsite facility. Therefore, whatever improvements or rebuilds take place, it is still considered a pre-HUD mobile home.

If the property has a deed indicating a pre-HUD mobile home resides on it, that home will always be there as long as the frame is there. Meaning that if the frame is utilized for new construction, the new home (even when built to current code) is still a pre-HUD mobile home. Completely new construction is the only way to get away from the pre-HUD status.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:44 AM

14,490 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Happy to help! - So the answer is.... even the floor.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:06 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I am interested in a property that has a pre-HUD (1975) mobile home on it.
If I do purchase the property...
Use the existing utility service, well, septic etc (if adequate).
Camp out in the mobile during construction of a new home.
Demo and haul off the mobile after.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,937,491 times
A 75 mobile home is framed by 2 X3 and !/4" sheet rock 24" OC.Very poor electric including panel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House