Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times

Advertisements

That fresh air skylight sounds wonderful. Does it help with air circulation in your house? That's a problem in my house, fresh air circulation. I just don't have any cross breezes and the only thing that seems to work to pull in fresh air are fans. I usually use fans on days when not quite hot enough to turn on AC, also to save on electricity by not turning AC on if I can be comfortable with fans.

My brother had a whole house fan installed about 5 years ago. It really helps with cooling his house and saves a lot on not having to use AC as much. He lives with n California and has high electric rates so it really made a difference in electric costs.

I wonder if there are skylights like what you have with a optional fan to help boost air circulation.

The only strange drawback with brothers whole house fan is when it's turn in high any curtains billow into house and you need to crack windows open otherwise a suction effect happens. But he has learned to adapt. He likes to "invent" things has been trying to talk wife into letting him install some kind of vent from that would allow air into rooms without having to go around and open a bunch of windows all the time. Hasn't happened yet.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 02-13-2019 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Today is the 4th and last day of the 3 man installation for 2 new HVAC systems. This includes the attic disassembly and removal of the two 36 year old systems and new installation. One 4 ton and one 3 ton unit. The total cost for all is $16200, not bad for new 16 seer units with WIFI control.

Last edited by txfriend; 02-13-2019 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 08:41 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
That fresh air skylight sounds wonderful. Does it help with air circulation in your house? That's a problem in my house, fresh air circulation. I just don't have any cross breezes and the only thing that seems to work to pull in fresh air are fans. I usually use fans on days when not quite hot enough to turn on AC, also to save on electricity by not turning AC on if I can be comfortable with fans.

My brother had a whole house fan installed about 5 years ago. It really helps with cooling his house and saves a lot on not having to use AC as much. He lives with n California and has high electric rates so it really made a difference in electric costs.

I wonder if there are skylights like what you have with a optional fan to help boost air circulation.

The only strange drawback with brothers whole house fan is when it's turn in high any curtains billow into house and you need to crack windows open otherwise a suction effect happens. But he has learned to adapt. He likes to "invent" things has been trying to talk wife into letting him install some kind of vent from that would allow air into rooms without having to go around and open a bunch of windows all the time. Hasn't happened yet.

Ah! We also have installed (in a previous house in Austin, TX) a whole-house fan, and loved that, too. It's great to change out the air -- in Austin's climate/allergens situation, this is best on spring and autumn mornings. You do indeed need to make sure there is at least one window or screen door open to draw the air inside. (My parents had one and learned the hard way that if you do not have a door or window open, but DO happen to have the fireplace damper open, you can get a huge sooty mess....)

Anyway, the skylight does not have quite the same circulatory effect of the whole-house fan, but with windows and the the skylight open there is at least a bit more circulation, and it feels like it changes the air more quickly and thoroughly. A skylight installer would probably be able to tell you if there is some sort of auxiliary circulation fan available.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:32 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I just bought a great, inexpensive product-- I was trying to update some lampshades, and was having trouble finding the proper height shades.Well it turns out, lamp harps come in different heights. I found ADJUSTABLE height lamp harps at Target. for $3.99.
It's hard enough finding lamp harps anywhere, and when you do , they are one size only (7 inches or 8 inches for example and probably like 7.99). I was so thrilled to see these at Target. They are in the lamps/lighting area and they are on cardboards and hang.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:30 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just bought a great, inexpensive product-- I was trying to update some lampshades, and was having trouble finding the proper height shades.Well it turns out, lamp harps come in different heights. I found ADJUSTABLE height lamp harps at Target. for $3.99.
It's hard enough finding lamp harps anywhere, and when you do , they are one size only (7 inches or 8 inches for example and probably like 7.99). I was so thrilled to see these at Target. They are in the lamps/lighting area and they are on cardboards and hang.
I love simple discoveries like this. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-15-2019, 04:41 AM

I want to correct my post- I just glanced at the receipt and it was actually 4.99 not 3.99 for the adjustable height lamp harp.
Still a bargain but didn't want to mislead anyone. Also, they are not easy to find, and do not show up on any web searches I did. I bought brass finish and I know I saw it in chrome finish as well. (there might be other finishes available. not sure)

Old 02-15-2019, 05:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I want to correct my post- I just glanced at the receipt and it was actually 4.99 not 3.99 for the adjustable height lamp harp.
Still a bargain but didn't want to mislead anyone. Also, they are not easy to find, and do not show up on any web searches I did. I bought brass finish and I know I saw it in chrome finish as well. (there might be other finishes available. not sure)
Like these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=adju...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Homes-...ateway&sr=8-12

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.....I never even knew they existed.

So, a thanks and a rep to you.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 PM

Yes, that's them. The thing is, when I searched on the internet, I got those but when I went to select them they either came up with something similar or were out of stock and not available. So maybe they are not so hard to find- but they were hard for me. and I am quite pleased.
thank you!

Old 02-15-2019, 08:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
New smoke detectors. These are 28 years old. Still working, but it's time.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:35 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
New smoke detectors. These are 28 years old. Still working, but it's time.
Which did you get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House