Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Yes, my grandmother, aunt and uncle bought a house from a family in the tile business

Every time I walked into the home, I felt like I was walking into a men's room and had an unexplained urge to pee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 12:53 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Yes, my grandmother, aunt and uncle bought a house from a family in the tile business

Every time I walked into the home, I felt like I was walking into a men's room and had an unexplained urge to pee!

Ha, ha...they definitely don't have a "warm" feel to them.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I don't know about that.

I looked for no-carpet floors in homes for sale and found only one in our desired geographical area (Scottsdale). This is in houses over $1 million, though. I think all-tile looks...well, downmarket.

The house I expect we will buy has some sort of laminate in the master, tile in most of the rest of the house and carpet in the bedrooms. The first thing I will do is replace the carpet with hardwood or engineered hardwood. I need that "give" for my aching knees.

The tile will be covered with washable area rugs. We have one elderly cat and I'm allergic to her.
Downmarket? really? There are some gorgeous tiles out there in every conceivable style that are more expensive than hardwood flooring. Tile isn't just your builder grade 12 x 12s. For people who like that "throughout" look, all tile makes a lot of sense. The other day I saw some large format travertine tiles, polished, and gleaming. Nothing downmarket about them.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I recently went to a relative's house and it was tiled everywhere and every room except for the stairs.

Any pros and cons? I thought the maybe the costs is prohibitive but it probably lasts much longer and more durable than any type of wood flooring.
I’ve been to one that was completely tiled. Only house I ever saw tiled in that manner. Downstairs upstairs AND the stairs themselves. Lots of echo and looked weird because it was all a light and dark brown design pattern. It was a house we looked at buying. Glad I didn’t

Old 01-22-2018, 03:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I recently went to a relative's house and it was tiled everywhere and every room except for the stairs.

Any pros and cons? I thought the maybe the costs is prohibitive but it probably lasts much longer and more durable than any type of wood flooring.
In warm/ hot locations, that's the norm/ goal. When I have been, it's fine. They put a few rugs down. I don't think I'd like it for places that routinely get below ~40 degrees.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:02 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
It's common in many Florida homes and apartments to have tile floors throughout. You can always throw an area rug over parts you want to keep your feet warm like near your bed or in the middle of the living room. I like tile floors, but hardwood is better. Not a big fan of carpet but the home I have has them in the living room and bedrooms and it's okay but not my first choice.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:49 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's common in many Florida homes and apartments to have tile floors throughout. You can always throw an area rug over parts you want to keep your feet warm like near your bed or in the middle of the living room. I like tile floors, but hardwood is better. Not a big fan of carpet but the home I have has them in the living room and bedrooms and it's okay but not my first choice.
Hardwood is great, but if you have termite issues (which is so common in Florida) and want a flooring other than carpet, tile is often the way to go. I know some people who just love tile. It’s also a lot easier if you have more of an indoor/outdoor lifestyle with people in and out of the pool or water and don’t want to have to worry about water damage.

I did see one place selling when I was selling my last condo (mine was a combination wood/tile) that was completely tile, even on the stairs. I had never seen tiled stairs to a second floor and it looked incredibly dangerous.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:41 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
In-floor heat can also be installed when the tile goes in. Not that hard to do entire bathrooms.

Are people's feet really that cold?! I consider myself really cold blooded but I don't even notice when I'm cooking, for example or even when getting up in the middle of the night for a trip to the bathroom. Those of you who are so cold, do you really HAVE tile or are just repeating what you think it would feel like?
My in laws house is all tile with area rugs. Cold days are unbearable. I go barefoot mostly and it's hard on the feet. I hate wearing shoes indoors because it's filthy and nasty. I much prefer my wood floors. They are warmer on cold days. They are softer and being barefoot is nice.

Tile in the bathroom where it makes sense is fine but not in living, dining or bedrooms.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
For remodeling or for new construction, you can specify a 2-part epoxy grout. You don't need to seal it - it is sel-sealing.
It doesn't stain at all. It is more expensive, but we found it is worth it.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:49 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
It is more durable and cleaner. It can be as cheap as carpet.

In cold climate, tile works very well with radiant floor heating. It is much better than forced air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House