Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I recently went to a relative's house and it was tiled everywhere and every room except for the stairs.

Any pros and cons? I thought the maybe the costs is prohibitive but it probably lasts much longer and more durable than any type of wood flooring.
I've seen pictures, but never been to a house like that. I'd prefer wood. Seems to me the issue with the tile is the shape of the tiles, the pattern (if any), and the color. Unlike carpet and wood, tile is impossible to change the color of (as a practical matter) and super expensive to rip out and replace. People's tastes change. I doubt the 70 year old me would want the same tile that the 30 year old me wanted.

If the house is to be sold, that tile may be a big negative factor, because it will limit buyers...the buyer will have to LOVE that tile and it has to fit into their color scheme and decor, or the value of the house will drop a lot.

(I'm assuming all the tile is the same - at least all the tile you can see while standing in any one spot; and then all the other tile will have to at least blend. Just like carpet. You don't want different patterns and colors in the rooms, which would chop up the house & look disjointed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 04:55 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
We have woodgrain tile on both floors of our townhome. It looks great - most people assume it is wood until they look more closely. The grout is dark gray and blends into the background. An advantage of tile is that if there is any kind of water leak, there is no damage to the flooring.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:29 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Downmarket? really? There are some gorgeous tiles out there in every conceivable style that are more expensive than hardwood flooring. Tile isn't just your builder grade 12 x 12s. For people who like that "throughout" look, all tile makes a lot of sense. The other day I saw some large format travertine tiles, polished, and gleaming. Nothing downmarket about them.
To each his own, I suppose.

A lot of people like Saltillo tile but I would never have it in my home as it is so uneven as to constitute a trip-and-fall hazard.

I would much rather have the smoothness and warmth of hardwood.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
If the house is to be sold, that tile may be a big negative factor, because it will limit buyers...the buyer will have to LOVE that tile and it has to fit into their color scheme and decor, or the value of the house will drop a lot.

Not from what I've seen in the Tampa/St Petersburg are. A LOT of homes like these:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...?fullpage=true

Values seem to be just fine.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:15 AM

344 posts, read 244,810 times
Tile makes sense in some houses/climates. I prefer wood, then tile, never carpet. I once lived in a house with marble floors - very nice but so slippery!

Old 01-26-2018, 12:55 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
Throw rugs are easy to wash and you can put them in strategic places. Not a big problem. Better than carpet. Clean.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:28 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,675,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I recently went to a relative's house and it was tiled everywhere and every room except for the stairs.

Any pros and cons? I thought the maybe the costs is prohibitive but it probably lasts much longer and more durable than any type of wood flooring.
This can be area-specific- in Phoenix, there’s so much tile being laid that I had 18” porcelain tile laid down on the diagonal for under $3 per sq foot, including tile, mortar, grout & labor by a licensed contractor. You might pay $7+ just for labor in NY. Dump fees and labor are cheap there as well, so pulling tile & hauling it away can be done for just over $1 per sq/foot. On the other hand, good carpet installers are hard to find there & you would be quite lucky to get carpet laid for $2 sq/ft , even for the cheapest carpet that shows a wear-pattern after a week of use.

Pros - cat puke & dog accidents are no big deal with tile.

Cons - choose tile wisely, you’ll be looking at it for many years & get some slippers for the winter.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I do love tile, but prefer it set in a "diamond" pattern rather than parallel to the walls - looks much more open and less like a grid.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:58 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
The in-laws house in Costa Rica, was completely tiled.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:13 PM

300 posts, read 238,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I guess it's all relative - I have tile in most areas of my house and am barefoot most of the time inside, summer or winter. The floor is cool, but not especially cold - maybe because I have a basement? But that is common in many parts of the country.

Except in Florida. Florida homes do not have a basement, which is a great loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House