Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:35 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times

Advertisements

Toto toilets really have a stronger flush. But it still helps to give an extra empty flush "sometimes".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Next up is the low flow water volume
vs 4" pipes in older homes which don't (can't) produce as much 'whoosh' when the flapper opens.
I have 6" pipes. I'm never giving up my 5 gallon beast of a toilet. Only way its going to make it all the way to the septic tank is 5 gallons of water carrying it down.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Toilets are a fact of life in property management...

Unless there is a mechanical problem such as roots or separated/collapsed line my 35 years points to user error.

There have been times when the entire household pleaded innocence but the proof is bagged and offered as evidence then silence.

Medical constipation is a real issue... both from medication and also from some that are wheelchair bound... been there and done that.

My proof is one family will have nothing but toilet issues and the next several occupants none.

Men and women also have different expectations... rented a home to 4 guys and never a plumbing issue... the next year it was 3 female students... every week a problem... just saying.

I do like old water monster toilets and Toto when I must buy new...

One of my plumber friends says the best thing that ever happened for his business is the advent of "Flushables"... everything from wipes to dust mops...

Never seen a 6" line in a residence... not saying it couldn't happen but that is commercial main line sizing... 95% 4 inch with some new stuff at 3 inch... at least around here.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:40 AM

5,338 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Thank you all for the informative and varied responses.

For the flooring - I most likely won't do hardwood again but tile in that bathroom. Just whatever I put down - I don't want to be ruined by this issue.

Many questions regarding the usage of the toilet - two males and this is generally the toilet for "#1", not to say that's the sole use but 8-9 times out of 10 that's the use. The toilet does sometimes stop up with no paper or other debris (#1 only). Again it's an unpredictable thing, which is what has me scratching my head. We'll go months no problem and then other times it's a problem. A plunger will start a very slow drain, the next few uses will drain without plumbing but very slowly, then within a week it's back to normal.

I think what threw me off was at a plumber was the one who said it was the toilet - I never even thought about a venting issue. I think my course of action is either a.) remove the old toilet, inspect what I can see with the old toilet gone and install a new one or b.) call a plumber first. Correct?

Also...is there an issue with swapping out the toilet now and then removing at a later time to install the new flooring? Or should that all be done at once? I've never changed out a toilet and I don't know if the hooking up/unhooking would be an issue down the line.

Last edited by BoSox 15; 01-24-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
The toilet does sometimes stop up with no paper or other debris (#1 only).
That's 98:2% a venting issue.

If the plumber didn't come to that conclusion as well...
maybe he saw some other bottle neck or clogging issue down the line.
Or he's an idiot and/or just trying to just sell you a toilet.

The 2% in your situation leaves you with something ELSE blocking the line.
That would really be an exceptional circumstance but things like waste line back ups
can run right up all the way to the flange/toilet.

Quote:
...is there an issue with swapping out the toilet now
and then removing at a later time to install the new flooring?
Yes. On a slab this can get very complicated very fast.

Setting the toilet is the EASY part of that job or should be.
Getting the flange/ring at the correct level (with tile) is where they'll earn their money.

Bring in a good tile guy NOW and then follow HIS suggestions.
Put him in charge of the plumber if any pipe work is needed
and make his contract contingent on a level/solid toilet mounting.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:14 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
One of the stranger things I've seen is the lid of a can of dip that lodged around the tail of a toilet gooseneck. Plunging and using a snake cleared what got stuck on the lid, but it just swiveled and never got removed until a plumber removed the toilet and happened to inspect the bottom of it.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Each time you take the toilet up and put it back down it's wise to use a new wax ring OME.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:18 PM

I've had to pull toilets and carry outside and back flush and it never failed to dislodge some elusive foreign body... anything from hair curlers, toys, toothbrush etc.

The one thing I find the most often is q-tips... they act as a dam to impeded toiler paper...

In all candor there are/were manufacturers that made smooth porcelain to the floor flange... most don't making it easy for something like a q-tip to cause a lot of problems.

As for the line and vent... the only really way to see what is going on is to camera the line...

I have my own professional Spartan 300 cable machine... does a wonderful job and cost me close to $3000 with accessories... so that might be another option?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:38 AM

5,338 posts, read 3,212,693 times
The thing is I've been having this problem since I bought the house - it was just so infrequent that I didn't give it the priority it deserves. I know the previous owner had kids so who knows it could be a hotwheel or it could be the vent...

Would a plumber be the best person to call to check the venting? Is that a routine request? I hadn't thought about it until it was brought up here.

Or, since I'm planning on remodeling that room, should I just work with whoever may end up doing the work?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:15 PM

My quick and dirty procedure for vents is to take a garden hose up to the roof and run it as far as possible down the vent... sometimes it has proven to be a 100% fix.

Had a friend in snow country and somehow the vent was encased in ice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House