Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 02:05 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I won't have a forever home unless I am dead, lol. I've had 17 houses in the past 20 years and a lot more before that. I think I have gypsy blood...but I still prefer a one story and a small house.

In my younger days, I moved around a lot and said that I had gypsy in my blood, too. (Lived in 8 states, 9 if you count a short time overseas, 10 if you count the State of Confusion where I am most of the time. lol) But, I realize why. I never felt at home in any of those places. First I found the state that I love-and if I travel away from it for any length of time, I get homesick. The house we moved from about 4 years ago was the house that I lived in the longest in my entire life. Hubby bought it with his ex-wife and while it was a comfortable home, it never really felt like MINE-but I did try to make it mine. But, now I have a house that IS mine. In fact, I joke that it is MY house and I allow my husband to live here. lol. I'm not saying that I will never move again, but I really can't see myself doing it. But, the newness of this house still hasn't warn off. Will it ever? That remains to be seen.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 02:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
I prefer two stories. It's nice to be up there where I can see the treetops from the windows. I've lived in single story houses before, and those lower ceilings don't appeal to me. Actually, I like two stories with a loft, so it's nice and airy downstairs with a very high ceiling.

As for stairs, I can see why some people don't want to climb stairs if they have arthritis or something. Stairs don't bother me, but my husband would be happier without them.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:47 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
[quote=CatwomanofV;50828687 But, the newness of this house still hasn't warn off. Will it ever? That remains to be seen.

Cat[/QUOTE]

I hope it stays new for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I prefer two stories. It's nice to be up there where I can see the treetops from the windows.
You just need your house to be higher, lol.

I've had some pretty nice views from my one story house
From my front sliding door:

Same house at sunset:

And from that door we also get some great wildlife views

One from a few years ago, different house, from the back french doors:

Another house on a lake from the living room while taking out the old walkway:

Same house at sunset from the window:

Old 01-26-2018, 02:57 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Quote:
I hope it stays new for you

You just need your house to be higher, lol.

I've had some pretty nice views from my one story house
From my front sliding door:

Same house at sunset:

And from that door we also get some great wildlife views

One from a few years ago, different house, from the back french doors:

Another house on a lake from the living room while taking out the old walkway:

Same house at sunset from the window:
Love thast first view, do you mind sharing general location?

Old 01-26-2018, 02:59 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
How old people in Europe handle stair. I guess that is why there is more obesity in the US.
Sorry but no, not having stairs is NOT the reason there is an Obesity issue in the U.S. Easy access to drive-thru fat foods, rarely congregating at the supper table for a healthy family meal, just for starters.

I lived in two story farm homes much of my life and those homes had basements.

My retirement home is single story, no basement and the attic is storage.

I still have horses and shovel horse **** every day of my life. I run the farm tractor and mow the yard. I don't need friggin' stairs to blow my knees out under the guise of exercise

Old 01-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Love thast first view, do you mind sharing general location?
East Tennessee mountains. It is a beautiful area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Sorry but no, not having stairs is NOT the reason there is an Obesity issue in the U.S. Easy access to drive-thru fat foods, rarely congregating at the supper table for a healthy family meal, just for starters.

I lived in two story farm homes much of my life and those homes had basements.

My retirement home is single story, no basement and the attic is storage.

I still have horses and shovel horse **** every day of my life. I run the farm tractor and mow the yard. I don't need friggin' stairs to blow my knees out under the guise of exercise
I hear you. I did plenty of raking and shoveling today for a new lawn. The horse from next door watched me, lol.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:03 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,823 times
I've lived in both. I definitely prefer a one story. Who wants to lug laundry up and down the stairs? Although some homes have their laundry room on the second floor, I still like a one story better.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I've lived in both. I definitely prefer a one story. Who wants to lug laundry up and down the stairs? Although some homes have their laundry room on the second floor, I still like a one story better.
When I was a teen I used to throw it all to the bottom but I still had to carry it up.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
When I was a teen I used to throw it all to the bottom but I still had to carry it up.

The first house I lived in as a kid, I think it was my mother who cut a hole in the floor under the bathroom sink. That was our laundry chute. With 8 people in the house, that was the easiest way. Unfortunately, very few of those 8 actually DID the laundry. Down in the basement in front of the washer/dryer was a HUGE pile of clothes waiting to be washed. (BTW, I was too young to do it-I was 8 when we moved. I couldn't even reach the controls on the washer or the dryer. In fact, I remember when I was about 4 or 5-maybe younger, going through that chute myself-with the assistance of a couple of my sisters. But, I had a nice cushion drop-the huge pile of clothes. lol)

Cat

Old 01-26-2018, 04:05 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
My mom is almost 88 and tramps up and down the basement stairs multiple times a day. I'm almost 30 years younger than her and have such rickety knees I find it hard to use stairs at all. I would love a two story house, but I think whatever I live in in the future is going to be one story or have an elevator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House