Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 11:32 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,287,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I like the two-stories houses much better.

They have curb-appeal and look grander. The house is more energy efficient. There is separate living and sleeping space. I would hate to sleep in my master right next to the noisy living room or smelly kitchen.

Am I the odd one here?
Yup...not everybody has kids...I don't have either a noisy living room or a smelly kitchen. And I plan to live here as long as I can so I don't want stairs. I grew up in a one-story and actually don't like two-stories. I don't like the upstairs being 10 degrees warmer than the downstairs and I hate going up and down the stairs every time I need something...or leaving stuff at the step to wait until my next "trip".

I really don't care at all about curb appeal - and one-stories will be in greater demand as the population ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,866,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

People in Europe sometimes lived above their livestock to take advantage of the heat, as well as a measure of protection from thieves. They also threw their poop out the second story windows onto the street. It added to the curb appeal and the size of their poo impressed the neighbors. People in the U.S. are not as easily impressed.
Are you serious? I am not sure if this is a joke or not. What kind of Europe are you talking about?

Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,767,343 times
My preference is more based on how bedrooms are arranged. Single story with the bedrooms all together off a hall? No thanks. Single story with a split bedroom floor plan? Yes please. Same goes with 2 stories. All good as long as the Master is down and not OK if all bedrooms up.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:04 PM

88,300 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Are you serious? I am not sure if this is a joke or not. What kind of Europe are you talking about?
I think the livestock part is probably true, and the poop part is not.

In some parts of the world, people do live over their livestock. They do in South China, where they keep pigs and ducks penned up under their houses, which are on stilts.

Pigs and ducks both carry viruses that humans can catch, and so because of these living arrangements, old viruses meet up and mix and match and create new viruses all the time, which is why we get new strains of flu and viruses coming out of Asia every year.

I read that in National Geographic years ago.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

In some parts of the world, people do live over their livestock. They do in South China, where they keep pigs and ducks penned up under their houses, which are on stilts.

Pigs and ducks both carry viruses that humans can catch, and so because of these living arrangements, old viruses meet up and mix and match and create new viruses all the time, which is why we get new strains of flu and viruses coming out of Asia every year.

I haven't seen anything like that in Europe.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:12 PM

23,563 posts, read 70,166,587 times
"Are you serious? I am not sure if this is a joke or not. What kind of Europe are you talking about?"

Exhibit A:

Woman trapped in window trying to retrieve poo after Tinder date - BBC News

Exhibit B:

10 Truly Disgusting Facts About Life In Medieval England - Listverse

The defenestration of diarrhea was probably not a deliberate daily dalliance, and flagrant fecal flinging was unlikely, as little evidence remains of of private poop catapults or trebuchets, although poop bombs were used by professionals in warfare. The Russians even patented a type of ballistic shell for the use of men in tanks. You can't make this s*** up.

There is a reason that men use long poles to push the boats in Venice.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:12 PM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Well, up until the 1800s in London it was common for residents to dump their chamberpots into the street, oft times from an upper story. Think Charles Dickens' era.

https://www.npr.org/2015/03/12/39233...infamous-filth

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/some-f...**s-1733886210

Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Are you serious? I am not sure if this is a joke or not. What kind of Europe are you talking about?"

Exhibit B:

10 Truly Disgusting Facts About Life In Medieval England - Listverse

The defenestration of diarrhea was probably not a deliberate daily dalliance, and flagrant fecal flinging was unlikely, as little evidence remains of of private poop catapults or trebuchets, although poop bombs were used by professionals in warfare. The Russians even patented a type of ballistic shell for the use of men in tanks. You can't make this s*** up.

There is a reason that men use long poles to push the boats in Venice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Well, up until the 1800s in London it was common for residents to dump their chamberpots into the street, oft times from an upper story. Think Charles Dickens' era.

https://www.npr.org/2015/03/12/39233...infamous-filth

https://pictorial.jezebel.com/some-f...**s-1733886210

We are talking about today Europe , not medieval.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:18 PM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
We are talking about today Europe , not medieval.

1800s was not Medieval.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
The US is much too large and architecturally diverse to say something like "one story is preferred" - in some parts of the country, one story homes are quite common but in others, they are pretty unusual. Most people choose what they like best out of what's available and they may or may not consider the number of stories a dealbreaker.

I do agree that as they age, many people do choose a single story, just to be prepared in the case of illness or injury. You can leave your home to get exercise on a regular basis, including finding stairs to climb. But if the only bedrooms or full baths on the the second story, you are in trouble if you are in a situation where you can't climb stairs. I'm in a two story now, but expect to move into a single story (or more likely, a condo) in my next house in about 15 or so years when I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House