Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times

Advertisements

I once made the bad mistake of burning an armful of red cedar scraps from boat-building, in our fireplace. The high resin content of that wood caused the flames to roar clear up above the mantle, even with the damper wide open. I had to bring a hose with a spray-nozzle in from outside, to douse it. If there'd been a TV set there, it would have been kaput.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:25 AM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
True! I often wonder why people so seldom use the "Search" feature on the C-D Forums...
People are looking for a conversation, an interaction with others.
A search would only give them information.

I always think that people who say "do a search" or "ask a lawyer" are just wasting everybody's time.
They're not adding to the conversation, just being kind of mean.
Especially if others have already given the same advice.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:13 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
I was raised to think of displaying your "big screen tv" as a blue-collar thing. Unless it's in a den or something like that. I personally have mine in the living room in a cabinet with doors, and keep it shut unless it's on.

People seem to forget that too much television (sounding like my mom here lol) can warp the mind, waste tremendous amounts of time. I have to admit my parents are right on that one.

A fireplace (a real one) is such a beautiful thing to have in a home, increasingly rarer in today's world. Why would you want to ruin something like that with technology and distractions?

Old 01-30-2018, 05:24 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I was raised to think of displaying your "big screen tv" as a blue-collar thing. Unless it's in a den or something like that. I personally have mine in the living room in a cabinet with doors, and keep it shut unless it's on.

People seem to forget that too much television (sounding like my mom here lol) can warp the mind, waste tremendous amounts of time. I have to admit my parents are right on that one.

A fireplace (a real one) is such a beautiful thing to have in a home, increasingly rarer in today's world. Why would you want to ruin something like that with technology and distractions?
True...why veg in front of the tv when you can veg in front of the fireplace? Well, as long as it's real, that is.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:07 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Hold up, a TV mounted above the fireplace at a normal viewing DISTANCE, is only a couple degrees above one mounted above a TV stand. I've been in these houses and I don't even have to tilt my head back from a normal viewing distance, sitting back on the couch.

What about sports bars and the like?

These are easy enough to see while eating/drinking.

I don't have a fireplace in this house, but I've been in enough houses with them and the TV mounted above them that I know, for me at least, it's just not enough of a change in angle to worry about.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:20 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

What about sports bars and the like?

Horrible places. Avoid them like the plague.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:03 AM

53 posts, read 49,848 times
Most people do not have choices . That's the only spot you can put a giant TV lol
You can alleviate that by using paint colors. That's what we did in our house. I painted the fireplace mantel Pure White, as well as the crown molding and baseboard. Then that wall was painted navy blue - We made it a feature wall where the other wall are Repos Gray. By doing so you make the fireplace the focus point and it stands out . But also using a darker paint color for the wall you actually hide the TV and Speakers.
I have 3 massive speakers + subwoofer and a 55" TV, they are now blending in because of the wall color.

It works very well.

Plus for me aesthetically it is also about symmetry. Having a TV above the fireplace makes is symmetrical compare to the other walls and compare to the fireplace - Especially in a rectangular room

Old 01-30-2018, 07:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
.....I don't understand why so many busybody people concern themselves with where other people choose to mount their televisions.
Well, this is a section of the forum where we discuss all sorts of pros and cons and likes and dislikes regarding homes and decorating.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:27 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Horrible places. Avoid them like the plague.
Point is, it's not an issue looking at a TV slightly above straight ahead. In fact, it's quite common and most people don't find an issue with it.

Your viewing angle, without tilting your head, from a proper distance, will be floor to ceiling easily.
Attached Thumbnails
I don't understand why people mount TVs over fireplaces....-viewing-angle1.jpg  

Old 01-30-2018, 07:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
When we buy a new home - as when we bought this one - we rule out homes that have a TV above the fireplace as the only option in the living room.

Most homes have more options than this. Just like a master bedroom upstairs, or a one car garage, or no powder room for guests - there are some things that would rule a home out for me, and this being the "only" option for a TV would be one of those things.

I agree that often a fireplace is the focal point - I LIKE a fireplace being the focal point in fact. I enjoy using a mantel for decorating throughout the seasons. And I love having a striking piece of art above a mantel as a focal point in a living room. So I would not want a TV hung above "the main" fireplace. Now - to clarify, I have seen some homes with two fireplaces - one in the living room and one in the den - and I would consider hanging a TV above a fireplace in a second living area, though it wouldn't be my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House