Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:20 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times

Advertisements

OP, have you alerted your locale's Code Enforcement department? They will play a part in the illegality of the deck as well as the issue with runoff. Wait, I see you have called them. You might not necessarily hear anything from them if they cite the offender. Call and ask if it's been over the 45 day limit.

A general rule is that one cannot direct runoff onto someone else's property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 11:20 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Attorney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What costs more?

The biggest investment you ever made? (Hint: your house)

Or an attorney?

This doesn't require a gun to the head; and you certainly can't afford to wait for others to react. So, you put the gun to "their" head with civil suits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yup. And not only do you want an attorney, you want one that specializes in these kinds of suits. Call your state bar association to find out who does. And then do a little research to find out their win record.

Legal representation makes all the difference, especially if your attorney has a reputation for winning.
Lawyer.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaked View Post
Yes, I filed a claim with MY homeowners insurance company also. It was denied. My neighbor's insurance company has assumed liability already. It has already been determined that my neighbor is at fault. However, their insurance company is giving me a hard time and don't want to pay for all of the necessary repairs...or for example, they will not pay full price for a sheet of drywall. They are only paying the depreciated amount, which is ridiculous. My house is 30 years old. They told me I would have to come out of pocket for the remaining amount or file a lawsuit. I have very low income and shouldn't have to pay anything out of my own pocket. This is very stressful.
There are two types of home insurance, for both damages on your property, or damage you do to property of others.

One type is for cost to do the work, and this is to bring it back like new. The other is less expensive, and that is to restore back and pays a depreciated value. In other words, if a home is 40 years old, the condition of the home is 40 years of use. They will pay at a discounted rate or your 38 year old home as this company is offering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House