Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 10:56 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
In fact, this thread is about as insulting as I've seen on the House forum. A bunch of people insulting others for preferences.
That's pretty much the definition of the house forum. People who hate open floor plans and granite countertops and stainless appliances and the color gray routinely "insult" others.

Or, perhaps most of us understand that a different preference isn't the same thing as an insult to someone who happens to have the opposite preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:11 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That's pretty much the definition of the house forum. People who hate open floor plans and granite countertops and stainless appliances and the color gray routinely "insult" others.

Or, perhaps most of us understand that a different preference isn't the same thing as an insult to someone who happens to have the opposite preference.

It's an insult when you start saying it's stupid, or worse. Especially after someone who has one of these layouts and likes it explains why they like it and why it doesn't do what people complain it does. It's basically saying "oh, you have it and you like it, well it's stupid so therefore you're stupid for liking it."

It's closed minded BS is what it is.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:18 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:

forgot to include those who are dumb enough to have their tv mounted above the fireplace!

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ple-mount.html

In other words Tiffer, yes some people are going to hate what you like. You are going to hate some of what other people like. That's just how it is.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
forgot to include those who are dumb enough to have their tv mounted above the fireplace!

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ple-mount.html

In other words Tiffer, yes some people are going to hate what you like. You are going to hate some of what other people like. That's just how it is.
I don't mind when people say they hate something. There have been times when people are so adamant that they call something stupid.

I dislike linoleum and wouldn't care for it in my house. I would never say that having linoleum is stupid. I do appreciate that people's tastes are all over the map.

When people call a certain look stupid or idiotic, they truly are insulting those that do like that which is being ridiculed.

Therein lies the difference.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
I was looking at some listings and saw that maybe 10-15 years ago, some houses were being built with no door between the master bedroom and the master bath.

I can't imagine who thought that was a good idea!

If nothing else, how do you block the light coming in of you want to sleep in a little later? In a bedroom, you can at least put up heavier curtains, but that don't really work very well in a window that is over a bathtub.

Fortunately, it seems like a trend whose time has come and gone.
Wow, about 5 years ago, we were home shopping and saw that in one house (out of maybe 15 or so). It makes no sense at all. Maybe a pocket door, if you really want to keep an open feel?

Old 02-01-2018, 02:45 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
When we built our old house in 1980, our builder was going to leave our toilet/sink combo open to our bedroom with no door. I guess he was cheaping out on us because he thought he could get away with it, and I said NO WAY, I want a door. He said "why, it's just you and your husband".

I didn't care. I got my door.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:43 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
My husband and I are on very different schedules. An open plan ensuite would be something we'd have to change. As it is - we've only owned houses without an ensuite at all, so that would be an issue I wouldn't mind having!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
When people call a certain look stupid or idiotic, they truly are insulting those that do like that which is being ridiculed.
That depends on the people.

Me, I have no problem with someone finding my tastes stupid. It's taste - there's no right and wrong. And everyone is free to have an opinion. If I disagree with someone on a taste issue, it says nothing about them as a human being. If anything, my wording of my disagreement says more about me than it does about the other person.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:36 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Our house, built in 2000, has a water closet (toilet) with a door, a walk in shower that needs no door or curtain and there is a pocket door between our master bedroom and and the bathroom. There’s two walk in closets on each side of the pocket door in the bedroom, further separating the bath and bedroom. It’s nice to have the door when we want to close the bathroom off and yet have the open feel with it open.

Coming from a house built in 1870 that had a door to the bathroom but everything else in the open, I love having the toilet isolated inside the bathroom in our current home. Probably what I like best is having a mixer valve on the shower, so when one of us flushes the toilet, the other one taking a shower isn’t suddenly showering with all cold water. We really should have had a mixer valve installed in the old house. I flushed without thinking so many times when DH was showering. And maybe a few intentional times.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:34 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I have a pocket door between the master bath and the master bedroom. Stays open unless I have company.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:38 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
...so when one of us flushes the toilet, the other one taking a shower isn’t suddenly showering with all cold water.

If that was actually the case- your toilet was plumbed with hot water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House