Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
This begs the question, just how many of your friends toilets have you looked behind? It's common as dirt that the area behind the commode tank is not painted or finished. You get as much of the wallpaper off as you can. Then when you paint, get as far behind the tank as possible with a long handle brush. For picky folks, the tank comes off and for most folks, taking the tank off is not a big deal but if you don't want to fool with it, I can assure you not many folks are going to go looking behind your commode.
Ummm, no, it isn't.

Good grief people. Did you grow up in a barn? It's a bathroom WALL. Not a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I "babbled" about what I thought the reason was that the paper was coming off so easily. If I didn't, it would have been the first question someone asked. My experience so far is to grab the facing, pull it all the way off, then pull off the unglued paper and the few bits that are left, I spray them with room temperature water and nothing else, and they can be rolled back with my thumb. All those who have scored and steamed and scraped and suffered, and there are lots of you, sorry, and I wanted it explained right off.

All the helpful suggestions, like the garbage bag around the tank, thanks. I was going to get a thin roller, as long as possible, and use a short stick handle and I can access both sides and have some room at the bottom if I don't use the stick.

I'm female, I'm small, and I'm not young, and when I say I can't take the tank off, I know my limitations, so what's the point in telling me to go ahead and do something I already told you I'm not doing? I have no one to help me and I can't manage it and that's that. I'm getting really fed up with the snark on these forums.
At least watch a few YouTube’s about removing the tank. Maybe you will feel able to do it. I would do it, and I’m an old lady with bad knees.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Remo...eADA#kpvalbx=0

Old 02-13-2018, 09:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Stick to electrical- "removal the tank" only requires shutting off water, flushing toilet to empty tank, removing 2 or 3 bolts that secure the "tank" to the toilet, remove tank. Reverse order to reinstall with new bolts, rubber washers, and a new "foam seal" where the outlet from the tank meets the inlet for the toilet.

You don't have to remove the toilet, or replace the wax ring.

To each his own. I like having a free open work space so i remove the complete toilet. I gues I don’t mind the additional 2 minutes and $3 in time and materials.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:36 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
We used a steamer that we rented. Makes it much easier.

Was this your rep message to me??

"No steamer. No scorer. I pulled off the facing and sprayed the paper with hot water and it rolled off easily. Long handle scraper behind the tank."

If so, then why did you say that you used a steamer behind the toilet, in your post??
If that wasn't you, then never mind!

Old 02-14-2018, 02:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
You do not need to remove the toilet tank if you do not want to (but it is incredibly easy to do, go get the home improvement 123 book from Home depot and follow directions. If you can follow a cookbook recipe and turn a screw driver, you can do this). Changing a light bulb is often harder than this).

To remove the wallpaper go to Home Depot and buy a product called DIF. Mix the DIF with hot water in a spray bottle and spray it on the paper. Wait 15 minutes and spray it again. The wallpaper should literally fall off the wall. If it does not, use a plastic (never metal) spatula or scraper of some sort, or you can even shove a towel in there and scrub it off.

You may need to spray some more DIF and scrub again to remove any residue. Clean the DIF and anything else with some TSP mixed with water. If you did not gouge the wall with the scraper, you are ready to paint. Get one of those mini rollers and an extendable roller handle and you will be able to paint it nicely without removing the tank. Remember when you paint, dip, roll once and once (up/down or Down/up) only, then dip again. Do not try to spread the paint out all over the place or you will get terrible results. You should prime first and then paint. Also use mildew resistant paint. I always use gloss or semigloss in bathrooms. It looks plasticy, but it cleans better and resists mold and mildew better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House