U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 02:23 PM

326 posts, read 177,533 times

Advertisements

Our basement took about an inch and half of water yesterday during a storm. We have a chest freezer down there that was (according to my perception) sitting in water. The water was there for 5-7 hours before we got it all pumped out and vacuumed up completely to where the dehumidifier and air would dry the area out. I've been googling like mad to find info about what to do with the chest freezer and I'm not finding any satisfactory info- a lot of it pertains to stand up freezers- this is a box/ chest type. We bought it within the last two years so it's a newer model- I'm not sure if age of the unit makes a difference or not.

It may or may not have had water reach the bottom of the unit. The compartment in the back with the "works" did not get directly wet. The water did not get up that high before we started pumping. But, my husband thinks the water never actually got high enough to make contact with the bottom of the unit- whereas I swear it did! So it's he said she said and neither one of us really knows- we pumped the water out before taking time to check and agree unfortunately.

We were pumping and pumping and worrying about so many other things down there (like electrical hazards and live pets) so the chest freezer was a low concern.

We did unplug the unit safely. So during the time the bottom would of been wet it was not running for most of it. We moved the frozen goods to a different freezer and left ice packs and bottles of frozen water in the unit. The food in there is not the concern though. My husband thinks we should just plug it back in and wait and see if there are problems.

I'm a little nervous to plug it back in but I don't know if it's ok to leave it unplugged with the lid closed for too long. If we leave it unplugged and get an appliance tech out to make sure it's ok it'll be two weeks from now before we can have them out. Assuming it's still usable how do I prevent it from getting stinky?

It'd be real nice if we didn't have to replace the freezer because the flood cost us plenty as it is but I don't know how to proceed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 02:38 PM

21,340 posts, read 63,727,794 times
If the water was less than a couple inches, I agree with your husband. The compressor is sealed and any circuitry is typically at least 3 or 4 inches up.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:40 PM

6,564 posts, read 6,774,891 times
I agree with your husband. Plug it in and keep an eye on it for a while.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:52 PM

18,440 posts, read 38,535,191 times
If it’s solid underneath, I’d be more concerned with rust building up underneath it due to trapped moisture. The one in my garage is sitting on a couple of 2x4s for that reason.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:54 PM

8,178 posts, read 7,490,115 times
Water may be trapped inside the case. Set it on a 2x4 board at one end and be sure it has drained.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:51 AM

16,196 posts, read 23,199,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
Our basement took about an inch and half of water yesterday during a storm. We have a chest freezer down there that was (according to my perception) sitting in water. The water was there for 5-7 hours before we got it all pumped out and vacuumed up completely to where the dehumidifier and air would dry the area out. I've been googling like mad to find info about what to do with the chest freezer and I'm not finding any satisfactory info- a lot of it pertains to stand up freezers- this is a box/ chest type. We bought it within the last two years so it's a newer model- I'm not sure if age of the unit makes a difference or not.

It may or may not have had water reach the bottom of the unit. The compartment in the back with the "works" did not get directly wet. The water did not get up that high before we started pumping. But, my husband thinks the water never actually got high enough to make contact with the bottom of the unit- whereas I swear it did! So it's he said she said and neither one of us really knows- we pumped the water out before taking time to check and agree unfortunately.

We were pumping and pumping and worrying about so many other things down there (like electrical hazards and live pets) so the chest freezer was a low concern.

We did unplug the unit safely. So during the time the bottom would of been wet it was not running for most of it. We moved the frozen goods to a different freezer and left ice packs and bottles of frozen water in the unit. The food in there is not the concern though. My husband thinks we should just plug it back in and wait and see if there are problems.

I'm a little nervous to plug it back in but I don't know if it's ok to leave it unplugged with the lid closed for too long. If we leave it unplugged and get an appliance tech out to make sure it's ok it'll be two weeks from now before we can have them out. Assuming it's still usable how do I prevent it from getting stinky?

It'd be real nice if we didn't have to replace the freezer because the flood cost us plenty as it is but I don't know how to proceed.
Plug it in and if it works you're good, if not replace it.

You cannot wait 2 weeks unless it is entirely empty of food and you leave the lid open if it is unplugged. Wipe the interior with a good smelling cleaner, leave the lid propped open, and the unit unplugged.

I had this happen once and I hurried cooked up several meals so that the freezer food wasn't wasted. Hopefully you did the same.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:14 PM

326 posts, read 177,533 times
Sorry for taking so long to write an appreciative note here! I read these and got the exact info I needed. I never would've thought of propping up one end and yeah we're now keeping it on 2x4's. The plumber is coming back tomorrow to do a camera inspection of the line.

But anyway, thank you to all those who responded. We did not lose any good food. We had enough room in our regular freezer and fridge to move the good stuff and the bag of mixed vegetables that my husband used to ice his foot after dropping an old fashioned stapler on it two years ago we pitched. We also threw out some freezer burned turkey carcassess that people gave us after thanksgiving because we make a mean gumbo. But for a food storage problem it didn't set us back too much and hopefully we've saved the unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House