Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times

Advertisements

Any branches hanging over your property, are your responsibility to trim. Why not trim the branch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 09:37 PM

23,238 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wish you had contacted the neighbor before this happened. My neighbor's river birch has 3 main trunks, and the one closest to my fence got within a foot a couple of years ago, and was hanging over my yard. I walked over and asked them if they would split the cost of having that trunk cut back so that it was not over my fence. They totally agreed, and in fact asked to have the trunk cut all the way back. If I had not done that, I would have lost my fence a long time ago.

Ah I see the house is vacant. Definitely contact the owner. I certainly would. And you should be able to find a handyman on Angies List.
If this was my house first I'd contact the neighbor to let them know there was an issue with the tree. The place is vacant, they don't live there, and they may not be aware of the tree's current condition. Its sort of "neighborly" anyway. Give them a chance to help you address it. You never know; maybe they have a handyman who looks after their property and could deal with it at little cost to anyone. Look for the missing shingle to see what type you need to replace. If no luck, maybe check with a local hardware store to see if they know of any reputable handyman services you could contact. They may have some names in their files. Roof shingles need to be dealt with. The tree is going to continue to damage your roof. It could be a relatively simple thing to solve if everyone's nice about it.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:37 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Any branches hanging over your property, are your responsibility to trim. Why not trim the branch?

I believe this is correct most everywhere. If the house is vacant and the owner is in Tahiti who's going to care?

If I understand it the branch is higher than the OP's ladder.

I fall on the side of a handyman. Since they're already up there for the roof they can trim the branch back at least part of the way.

1. Go to Yelp.com and search "handyman".
2. Go to angieslist (it's free now) and crosscheck the names from Yelp.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 AM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Thank you all for the tips - I've contacted a handyman (who is out and about of course w/all the damage from the wind around here) - his wife took my info. and will call me later to let me know if it's something he can do. Appreciate the help (keep your fingers crossed )

Old 03-05-2018, 10:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times
Just climb a ladder and cut away the part that's damaging your roof. You have that right. Worry about the rest later. Besides, anything overhanging onto your property can be rightfully removed by you.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:51 PM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thank you all for the tips - I've contacted a handyman (who is out and about of course w/all the damage from the wind around here) - his wife took my info. and will call me later to let me know if it's something he can do. Appreciate the help (keep your fingers crossed )
While you're waiting for a return call, call a couple more. Since it requires them getting on your roof - make sure they're insured.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Thanks - so far, they don't do roofs (especially on a Cape Cod - too steep). I had to contact a roofing company (which I know will cost more but......) - soonest they can do is Friday they hope! They are taking care of emergency situations first. Just hoping it doesn't rain too much before then.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
I saw some pictures of the east coast. Whoa!!

Old 03-05-2018, 02:46 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
DON'T call a roofing company, they'll charge you an arm and a leg! Cancel that appointment! Call you insurance agent, not to put in a claim but to ask who he recommends for this type of work. I'm sure he knows someone who does roof repair on the side and who could also trim the branch! It should only cost a few hundred dollars. I would get a receipt and when you see the neighbor next ask him if he could reimburse you (at least for half). Take pictures of everything as proof!

Old 03-05-2018, 05:17 PM

The local news tonight covered roof damage from neighbors' trees - they said it's the homeowners' responsibility whose home was damaged (which we all knew). But! they also said this storm is considered Catastrophic so that means your rates don't go up so to contact your insurance company........ interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House