Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 12:01 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

The townhouse thread got me thinking...

We own a few houses I would describe as "rowhouses" in various east coast cities. They are older, tend toward Italianate design, some are modest and some are much more elegant. We live in one currently.

However recently someone at work called my current abode a "townhouse." I had never thought of it that way but I guess they are correct in that characterization. I only share a single wall and my house is quite old, but if I had to check a box to describe it between single family home, condo, townhouse or apartment, townhouse is closest.

I always think a rowhouse as being urban and more antique, and a townhouse as being suburban and more modern. But they are both dwellings that share a wall, tend to be more narrow facing the street and are multiple stories.

So are they the same thing to you? Is there any distinction between the two? If you were listing a house for sale, would you use the terms interchangeably?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 05:49 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
People can get crazy on this. LOL

I keep it simple..if horizontal, like rowhouses, then townhouse; if vertical (i.e., another unit under or above yours) then condo.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Yeah....in a revival area they call it townhomes.

Not my cup of tea ...it's a Domino fire waiting to happen.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:02 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
A rose by any other name...

Old 03-08-2018, 11:33 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I recently started a thread about this very topic and also did my own research. What I learned is that they are NOT the same.

If you buy a row house, you own the land below it and also the roof. They are your responsibility to maintain just like a single family home. Sometimes but not often, the land is leased so you pay rent on the land but own the house. There is usually no HOA.
With a townhouse you own nothing but the space inside the walls. The roof is one continuous structure and you do not own the land the house sits on. Townhouses always have an HOA.

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...ey-same-4.html
From the previous thread on this subject

"town house have common walls, common roofs and common areas. only the inside of your unit is yours.

row house, only the common wall is shared. the land it is built on, the front yard, back yard, space above it is yours. so you can demolish your row house and build another in its place.

for townhouse, you can not do that"

When listed for sale, a townhouse has it's own category. A row house is listed as a single family home, not a townhouse.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:45 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
This is a good example of a row house currently for sale. It's listed as a single family home. Since it's at the end of the row, the person buying this house will own the exterior walls on 3 sides. He/she will also own the land it sits on and the roof. This would not be possible with a townhouse.

Last edited by marino760; 03-08-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House