Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 AM

714 posts, read 721,977 times

Advertisements

I live in North Carolina and just had to replace my ancient electric heat pump system. Next up will be water heater replacement. There is no gas coming into the house and I do not want it. The electric company keeps nagging me that water heating is the single biggest area I could save on and their bulletin mentioned heat pump water heaters. These work on the same principle as a heat pump, with the cutover to the heat strips only happening when it is excessively cold.

Does anyone have one of these? I know they are more expensive than a conventional electric water heater, but since I have to replace my conventional one in the next couple of years, is it worth looking into this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 10:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I live in North Carolina...
There is no gas coming into the house and I do not want it.
Move to where there is gas.
When you do move... get a separate water heater and a separate furnace.

Quote:
...is it worth looking into this?
Keep your appliances separate.
Avoid heat pump anything.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Post I considered getting a hybrid electric heater, went with propane tankless instead

Under current U.S. Dept. of Energy water heater regulations if you need a (electric-heated) tank bigger than 55 gallons you are pretty much stuck buying a hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
The electric company keeps nagging me that water heating is the single biggest area I could save on and their bulletin mentioned heat pump water heaters.
Where would the water heater be located? Inside the conditioned area of the house?

Hybrid/heat pump water heaters move heat out of the air and into the water, a net benefit if you're running air conditioning, not helpful in the winter. Some heat pump water heaters can accept a short length of ductwork so you can be selective about the input and/or output airflow.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:46 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Personally, I would pass. You might get about $25+- in savings per month, but you have not only the pricy unit, but installation costs, so your ROI is years down the road. Further, they are an additional source of noise, require about twice the time to recover from being drained of the stored water, and depend on lower stored water temperatures (120 F) instead of heating to 135 F as recommended by OSHA to kill Legionnaires disease.

A simple solar pre-heating, like a barrel in a box, could save enough money during summer months to blow the "savings" of a heat pump system out of the water. Remember also that since heat pumps MOVE heat, during the winter the room where your heater is will be chilled by the operation of it... causing your MAIN heat pump to work harder and possibly go into backup heat strip mode.

Here is an article:
https://www.homepower.com/articles/s...eaters?v=print

IMO, the idea is just plain dumb. If, OTOH, someone figured out how to run a water feed line to a window AC so that it would cool a room and heat water at the same time, I would consider that pretty neat.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:05 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
I installed my first heat-pump water heater in a home in Phoenix in 2009. Electricity is and was really expensive there & the savings was closer to $50/mo vs a standard electric unit. I just recently installed another heat-pump water heater in the basement of my home in Michigan- no natural gas service there & propane is wildly variable in price (and electricity is equally expensive). Again, savings in the area of $40 /mo in electricity. The new heater I purchased was a rheem/Richmond unit, it came with a 12 year parts warranty & I was able to purchase a ten year extended labor warranty.

The first heat-pump water heater I installed was an “air tap” add-on unit, that just sat on top of a standard electric water heater & did all the work for it. The new unit is integrated & called a “hybrid “ unit, because you can choose to let it heat with standard resistance heat (at higher cost), or force it to do everything with just the heat pump. The old unit would only heat the water to 120-ish degrees, which was adequate for two people, the new one will go all the way to 150degrees, providing substantially more hot water if you have a bigger family or have someone in the house who likes 30 minute showers.

The cost wasn’t terribly bad compared to a standard electric unit, under $1k, including the long warranty- budget electric heaters often only have a six year warranty.

Payoff is just a couple of years worst case & not much risk from the added complexity of the unit because of the long warranty.

Fwiw, the rheem units do allow for ducting the cool dehumidified air, if you want it inside for “free” air conditioning, or outside if you’re trying to avoid cooling down a heated space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House