Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:46 PM

857 posts, read 959,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
How much wall space are we talking about? One room? Tear it out. The whole house? Well then, you didn't make a good choice. Live with it, or start from scratch. Personally I kinda like it, so there is that.
The whole house but it's just 750 sqft. I did not buy this house for the house, but the environment it's in; so really cannot be picky. This is not a big deal; I likely will even attempt to do this myself when my time allows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:24 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
We have decided our wood panel wall is too woody. It looks too old, and the dark color hides a lot of insects. My wife wants something brighter and a more modern feel. I will leave only the ceiling as wood panel.

Here are what I think are my options to achieve that:

1. Remove the wood panels and put up 1/2" thick sheet rock, then perhaps apply knock-down pattern, and finally paint. I can probably use the wood boards for something else.

2. Remove the molding strips, apply 1/4" thick sheet rock directly on to the wood panel, then perhaps apply knock-down pattern, and finally paint. I won't be able to reuse the wood boards, however 1/4" sheet rock is probably cheaper and this can save some labor to remove the wood panels.

3. Paint the wood boards. I kind of doubt this approach would look and feel good, but want to get some expert opinion.

4. Any other ideas?

Your views on the pros and cons of any approach is welcome. What my wall looks like now:

Attachment 196143

I painted my wood walls an off white....so glad I did....I felt the wood kept the rooms too dark.

After painting, it's much more light and airy, and looks more updated too. IMO it looks and feels great

Old 03-11-2018, 05:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
#1 But you could try and see if you can get away with painting first. But it may be cheaper to just jump to #1.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:44 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
If it were my house, I'd try a whitewash/light colored stain on the ceiling first and see if that would brighten up the room. Then if that looked good, I'd consider doing the same to the walls. Otherwise, paint would work.

What finish is on the walls now? If there's already a finish on the wood, then a stain may not work so you'd then have to opt for paint. We have painted wooden walls and they're great.

If you put up sheet rock, you'd probably not be able to hang things on the wall except where there was a stud behind the wall boards. Plus it's way more work and more expensive to put on sheet rock than to paint.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Personally, I think you're looking at it "bass-ackwards"!

If I wanted to brighten that space I'd be doing the ceiling, not the walls. Reflexive light from a ceiling is much better than from walls. AND- there's less square footage of ceilings than walls!

Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If it were my house, I'd try a whitewash/light colored stain on the ceiling first and see if that would brighten up the room. Then if that looked good, I'd consider doing the same to the walls. Otherwise, paint would work.

What finish is on the walls now? If there's already a finish on the wood, then a stain may not work so you'd then have to opt for paint. We have painted wooden walls and they're great.

If you put up sheet rock, you'd probably not be able to hang things on the wall except where there was a stud behind the wall boards. Plus it's way more work and more expensive to put on sheet rock than to paint.
Not necessarily. That type of wood is serious stuff and you don't even know if any painting will work until you first apply two coats of oil-based stainblocking primer, and THEN the paint.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Maybe it's just me, I like your wood walls and ceilings. Assuming everything is in good shape, I'd redecorate instead and make it look a cabin. You could bring in lighter colored furniture and maybe a couple of lighter colored wall hangings and some green plants.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:58 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
My stepfather just sheet rocked over the wood paneling and then painted. It looked much better without the dark paneling. I don't know why that was ever a thing.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:36 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
I'd leave it alone. It looks well done and looks like good quality wood and not crappy like a 1970s job.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:35 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Check some things out first. Try to lift one panel to see what's really under it. They may have paneled over drywall, or it may be thicker paneling than you think.

That's going to affect consideration of what an earlier poster said about adjusting for doors and windows. It will affect consideration of whether you want to put drywall over the paneling.

I agree that the room is too "woody."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House