Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:26 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

The tub/shower combo has been a mainstay in American homes for decades. Many people have the cheap tubs like below.

https://jet.com/product/detail/04c01...CABEgL-M_D_BwE

Other than price, why would anyone go with these? They're not comfortable to soak in like a larger garden tub. They're not really a comfortable shower either. They're often friendly for the elderly or mobility impaired with the step-in nature. If you need a shower chair/bench, they're not equipped for that either.

Why would anyone choose these other than price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 02:47 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Children!

Is that serious enough for you?

Old 03-12-2018, 03:25 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
That smaller tub is what we have in our guest bath and on the rare occasion that I want a soaking bath, I'll chose that smaller tub over the master garden tub. It takes less time to heat up, stays hot longer, and most importantly, it's easier to get out of because you can grip both sides easily.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:55 PM

524 posts, read 574,698 times
I like Tub/Showers. I use one to shower every morning, even though I have a big walk in shower in my master bath. Master shower is always too cold.

Tub/shower combos are easier to reach into than a deep tub, so easier to bathe children, wash dogs, or soak laundry. I also find them easier to clean. I like the size of the shower in the combo. They are also the most efficient use of space.

The only problem I can see with them is having to step over the tub wall, if you have some mobility issue. I have seen people on the internet go to crazy length and create strange layouts to avoid them, but have never understood it.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:04 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The tub/shower combo has been a mainstay in American homes for decades. Many people have the cheap tubs like below.

Other than price, why would anyone go with these? They're not comfortable to soak in like a larger garden tub. They're not really a comfortable shower either. They're often friendly for the elderly or mobility impaired with the step-in nature. If you need a shower chair/bench, they're not equipped for that either.

Why would anyone choose these other than price?
I don't need a large soaking tub - I'm not fat. I rarely take a bath, but occasionally it's nice. And when I do, mine is as large as I want to deal with. The larger it is, the more room it takes and the more time I would need to spend cleaning it.

And yes, obviously it's perfect for kids.

Kind of a no-brainer why it's been around so long.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Space. My bathrooms are small. No room for a tub AND shower; the master is only 4' 6" wide, so not even room for a regular tub.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:37 PM

294 posts, read 293,222 times
They aren't common in the master nowadays. If they do show up it is due to price. In secondary bathrooms they are common because usually the secondary bathrooms are used either by kids for whom they work well or guests who are occasional. Larger garden tubs with a separate shower take up a lot of space and are more expensive and most people don't spring for that cost for secondary bathrooms.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I've lived in my apartment with a traditional tub/shower for almost a year and have never taken a bath. But, I love having my tub for other utilitarian reasons. Somewhere to soak a big plant, to repot a plant, to wash my dog, or hang wet laundry in, to fill up buckets of water, etc. And, you have more space for putting your shower/shave stuff.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I have shower/tubs in both my bathrooms, and would rather have a big soaking tub. I like baths, but I'm tall and there are always bits of me sticking out in the cold air. In my last house, we had just a small stall shower in the master, so this counts as an upgrade.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I have shower /tub combo too we were considering just converting one into a shower stall and be done with it but we started looking at prices and woo wee ten k for a shower stall no thank you . I will stick with these we have and my retirement will have a shower stall in at least one bathroom .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House