Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times

Advertisements

Has any had mice issues and had a service or "the pros" get rid of them? We're purchasing a new house and along with a laundry list of other items we have to deal with is mice. There's quite a bit of activity above the garage and some also in the attic. I had mice issues with a house I lived in in college and we used traps which worked fine but never got rid of the mice. I spoke to a local service in the area today on the phone and they informed me how they get rid of mice (poisoning them) and leaving them to die wherever they previously reside (which can end up in house walls, etc. The agent assured me that we wouldn't even know if they died inside a wall due to how small they are and how little they would smell decomposing but I'm just wondering if other services do this differently? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 09:21 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Yuck. Read the sticky at the top of the forum.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:23 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times
Just get a bunch of snakes. They love to eat mice.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:25 PM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
A good service will also inspect your house and attempt to seal up holes where the mice can get in. They're unlikely to make the house mouse-proof, but every bit helps. You want to minimize mice in the garage so they don't chew up your car's wiring...use traps plus repellents like moth balls, peppermint oil, and dryer sheets. Eliminate any food sources like pet food sitting around. Call a couple more pest control services and get different options.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Haven't used a service.

We have switched to electronic traps that zap them. The snap-type traps are too ghastly, and too often not lethal enough, and I hate to use poison because I don't want to poison any of my chickens/dogs/cats etc who might find and eat them.

The zappers though, have worked really well.

Of course, the best plan is to eliminate food. Hard to do on a farm, but keeping chicken food out of their reach keeps the rodent population from exploding any more.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
If you're in the process of purchasing the house why isn't the owner taking care of it before you close? That would be considered a health issue.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:46 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Rodent control is rarely a one time thing in the country... Ongoing control will be needed.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 1,605,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Rodent control is rarely a one time thing in the country... Ongoing control will be needed.
We moved 3 winters ago from an urban to a mostly rural area, and we have learned that it will be an ongoing battle. Ants in the spring, stink bugs and mice in the winter.

I expect now to have to battle the ants around the outside of the house this spring, liquid bait outside did a great job last year. If I see any activity around the outside of the house this year I will not wait until these extremely small ants start showing up inside the house, looking for the cat/dog food and water.

For the mice, this winter it seemed worse and I called in an exterminator, who baited/poisoned for a few weeks till it seemed like we got them all. I think I will just have to bait/poison myself more often on a continuing basis, outside the house. I can’t kill every mouse in town but we have to try at least for the ones trying to take up residence around and in the house.

For the stink bugs, hopefully we are getting all of the windows rebuilt this spring. I think the gaps on the 100 year old wooden windows are the main entry for the stink bugs. We’ll see if it helps next winter.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you're in the process of purchasing the house why isn't the owner taking care of it before you close? That would be considered a health issue.
It's a foreclosure so the bank doesn't care.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:32 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
They probably use electric paste. It's been around for as long as I remember and it supposedly continues to work during the decomposing to kill odors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House