Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it customary for guest to wear shoes inside your house? What are you from?
Yes. from USA 220 64.52%
No. from USA 89 26.10%
Yes. From Europe 6 1.76%
No. From Europe 7 2.05%
Yes. Other foreign countries 3 0.88%
No. Other foreign countries 16 4.69%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My dogs walk barefoot everywhere including inside the house. Wearing shoes is certainly okay with me. We tend to take our shoes off but no big crisis if someone doesn't. I didn't vote because I just don't care.
good point about the dogs!! I wonder how many of the people who make guests take their shoes off are fine with dogs walking all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 01:18 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,710,958 times
I can't say I care. Most of the people who come to my house take their shoes off, but I suspect they think that's my preference, since I don't wear shoes inside. (However, this is a case of I don't like wearing shoes at all, walking across the floor in them has nothing to do with it.) And I frequently take off my shoes in somebody else's house, because, again, I just don't like wearing shoes. But I figure most people will try to wipe their feet, or if their shoes are *really* bad (for example, they stepped in a mud puddle on the way to my door), they'll have the sense to take them off without my needing to ask them. I also have a dog and three cats, so between the dog going in and out, and the cats tracking kitty litter.....meh. I'm armed with a power vaccuum cleaner and various floor cleaners, all of which get a lot of use.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
We don't wear shoes in the home, but not because we are worried about out floors, it is just how we were raised and it really does cut down on dirt in the home. As for guests, if it is family or close friends and we are hanging out in the house I usually ask them to take their shoes off. If they are just coming in for a second I don't bother about it. If it is a more formal occasion or people I know less well I wouldn't say anything.

We have dogs, and they are also trained to clean off their feet before they come back in the house.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
good point about the dogs!! I wonder how many of the people who make guests take their shoes off are fine with dogs walking all over.
My dogs know how to clean their feet before they come back in. I have literally seen people with muddy wet shoes step over a door mat rather than use it.

Maybe that is why some are ok with dogs but not so much shoes.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
What I'm seeing is a whole bag of mixed opinions. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong.

I.
The people who think not wanting shoes traipsing all around your house = you saran wrap all your furniture and gargle with lysol are completely wrong.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Duh.
You clean the dogs' feet. Or they clean them themselves.

Also, my dogs don't frequent very many public restrooms.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:37 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I don't particularly like when shoes are worn in my house and I don't wear shoes in my house, but it's fine if people are on the first flooring (tile and wood). There will be NO shoes on the carpeted floor upstairs. No exceptions.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:39 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't particularly like when shoes are worn in my house and I don't wear shoes in my house, but it's fine if people are on the first flooring (tile and wood). There will be NO shoes on the carpeted floor upstairs. No exceptions.
Same here, and the dogs do NOT go upstairs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2018, 01:50 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times
Didn't want to read through 15 pages of self centered nonsense, so this may well have already been covered.

I was raised by a clean freak mother here in the US...we NEVER wore our shoes inside the house, unless guests were over. Close friends/family always took theirs off as well, unless it was a big gathering of people - parties, holidays, etc. Then the standards got relaxed. We also were raised to ALWAYS ask if we should take our shoes off in other's homes when visiting for the first time. I did notice growing up, and even now as an adult, that it seems to far more uncommon to have people request that we did so, or that other people routinely went without shoes in the house.

That said, now as an adult in my own home, I virtually always have shoes on, as I live in a rural part of the Phoenix desert. It's a daily occurrence to have small sharp edged pebbles, thorns, etc tracked into the house, even if one takes their shoes off outside. Much like another posted noted about stepping on a Lego, stepping on one of these stones at 2am will wake you up in a hurry! I've also nearly knocked myself out when I'm half awake, step on a thorn, reel back and go tumbling somewhere in the kitchen, lol. So now I wear shoes, and it's murder on my wood floors....

On the other hand, I have a few friends from Bosnia and Romania, and I understand that in that area and other Balkan countries, it's the expected social norm to take your shoes off _before_ entering the home as they're quite intent on keeping their homes as clean as possible. It continues to hold true in their homes even here in the States. You just flat don't wear your shoes inside, period, unless told otherwise. It's not at all uncommon to see a stack of shoes just outside the door in many of the homes over there.

I too have feet issues, and it's quite uncomfortable to walk around without shoes these days. Some days it's downright painful. But I still remove my shoes at their homes. Much the same as I remove my shoes at my parent's home. It's just the polite thing to do. Much the same as people who request you don't feed their pets people food. I don't understand how people can get offended by such requests in other people's homes.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Fussy, fussy! Then bring your own. That's what I do when I visit. No biggie.
I won't wear anyone else's underwear, either. Or hats. Nothing that has been an incubator of microbiology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House