Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 12:49 AM

17 posts, read 41,067 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looking at a condo unit in Chicago which lacks a washer/dryer. I asked the listing agent if it would be possible to add them. Agent said the machine must be electric and ventless, and could be added under a kitchen counter or in the second bathroom.

Would this be a major project? Is it worth considering a condo unit like this? It has many other good qualities and is much lower priced vs. the general market. I'm surprised that the current unit owner hasn't already done this, but maybe they were fine with using the existing in-building laundry room. Or maybe they found out that it's more trouble than it's worth.

I know nothing about home repairs / projects - obviously a water source is required for the washer; for the dryer, my brief research online says that electric costs more to operate than gas. Any other drawbacks?

Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 02:48 AM

17,666 posts, read 29,540,339 times
You need 2 professional opinions.
1. Plumber for the hot/cold water. And, maybe a drain if required by code.
2. Electrician for the 220 v circuit.

Under kitchen counter is very common in Europe. They install washer/dryer combos. Performance is just OK.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:54 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,271,122 times
Gas would be much harder to add unless there are gas lines in your new place.

You can check into portable washers and dryers. Very easy hook ups and they only use 110 electric which is a normal outlet. The dryers aren't as strong as a big regular dryer but it gets the job done.

I have this washer and love it:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Ch...16W3/300893512

Here is one dryer I was going to buy but went with a vented Whirlpool instead.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NewAir-Mi...u-ft/894440369

Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 AM

51,573 posts, read 25,482,936 times
So all the moist air from the dryer is vented into the condo?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:58 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
I'd go this route-

https://www.frigidaire.com/Washers-D...rs/FFLE4033QT/

But again, you have to have a dedicated 220v circuit, water supply, and a way to vent the dryer to the exterior.

"Ventless" is not economical by any stretch of the imagination. And you certainly don't want to vent "into" the living area.

I've seen some pretty good RE setup's- in the kitchen, w/extra shutoffs on the water, pull the range out to get to the electric, and flex hose to a window for the vent. It works! But man; what a pain in the ass that would be everytime you wanted to do laundry.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:08 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,788,254 times
A portable washer doesn't require special plumbing. You can roll the unit up to a sink and connect the supply hose to the faucet with an adapter. There is a male adapter on the faucet end that needs to be installed- you unscrew the aeriater and screw in this part. If you don't want the hassle of doing it each time, you can just leave it there - but that means you won't get the aeriater feature anymore. Also this is for the basic faucet design, it won't work with fancier faucets.

The female adapter goes in the hose. The waste water goes into the sink. I used a Haier brand unit for close to 10 yrs when I was in an apt. It is smaller than a standard unit but great for 1 person. For drying, I just use drying racks. Works great in the winter since they naturally dry in 3-4 hrs in front of a heat register. In the summer, I take the racks outside and have to wait for a sunny, non-windy day.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:26 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,271,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It doesn't sound like there is room for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
A portable washer doesn't require special plumbing. You can roll the unit up to a sink and connect the supply hose to the faucet with an adapter. There is a male adapter on the faucet end that needs to be installed- you unscrew the aeriater and screw in this part. If you don't want the hassle of doing it each time, you can just leave it there - but that means you won't get the aeriater feature anymore. Also this is for the basic faucet design, it won't work with fancier faucets.

The female adapter goes in the hose. The waste water goes into the sink. I used a Haier brand unit for close to 10 yrs when I was in an apt. It is smaller than a standard unit but great for 1 person. For drying, I just use drying racks. Works great in the winter since they naturally dry in 3-4 hrs in front of a heat register. In the summer, I take the racks outside and have to wait for a sunny, non-windy day.
I love my portable washer. Good idea about the drying. There is an indoor vent but not sure how good that would be unless you are in an arid climate...then it might be good.

Then again you could buy a washer/dryer combo like this:

LG Washer Dryer Combo: All-In-One Laundry | LG USA.

I had one years ago but didn't like it. Just check all reviews and ask about venting.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:36 AM

17,666 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls91 View Post
Agent said the machine must be electric and ventless, and could be added under a kitchen counter or in the second bathroom.
Not professional advice.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,664,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You need 2 professional opinions.
1. Plumber for the hot/cold water. And, maybe a drain if required by code.
2. Electrician for the 220 v circuit.

Under kitchen counter is very common in Europe. They install washer/dryer combos. Performance is just OK.

I lived in Chicago for over 40 years.............

You better make sure you're allowed by the HOA to have any type of washer/dryer in unit as many don't allow them!! If they don't and you install it anyway and it breaks down causing damage to your unit and others, your insurance and the HOA's insurance might not pay a claim for damages resulting in all of it to be paid out of pocket by you!

DON''T take the realtor word either, ask to see the HOA CC&R's (bylaws)!

Old 03-24-2018, 01:54 PM

795 posts, read 999,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls91 View Post
Hello,

Looking at a condo unit in Chicago which lacks a washer/dryer. I asked the listing agent if it would be possible to add them. Agent said the machine must be electric and ventless, and could be added under a kitchen counter or in the second bathroom.

Would this be a major project? Is it worth considering a condo unit like this? It has many other good qualities and is much lower priced vs. the general market. I'm surprised that the current unit owner hasn't already done this, but maybe they were fine with using the existing in-building laundry room. Or maybe they found out that it's more trouble than it's worth.

I know nothing about home repairs / projects - obviously a water source is required for the washer; for the dryer, my brief research online says that electric costs more to operate than gas. Any other drawbacks?

Thank you!!
All I can say is, don't even think about using a ventless device. Unless you like 100% humidity and endless dryer dust in the air. I know from experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House