Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 07:17 PM

336 posts, read 575,247 times

Advertisements

I sent a Sleep Master from Amazon to my son in Seattle for his guest bedroom. It is awesome! So comfortable. Everyone who has slept on it thought it was very nice, including me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:09 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
We bought a Zinus last year in July on Amazon. Got a ridiculous deal on it, like $250 for a 14 inch king. We figured at that price, if it didn’t work we’d just toss it.

Took around 3 days to come up to its full height, there was never any odor or chemical smell. It’s super comfortable, and we love it.
I was going to ask about the smell on any of these versions. What does everyone else think?

Over the years I've bought a Tempurpedic and 2 other beds that were combinations of latex and/or memory foam. I'm super scent sensitive and can't handle the chemical smell. I'd set up the new bed and have to sleep elsewhere. My current bed had to off-gas for almost 2 months before I could sleep on it.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
How are they if you 'run hot'? I've heard that they can be warm to sleep on, and as someone who's never cold I worry that I'd be uncomfortable.
I'm typically an overly-hot person (body temp normal is 99.1~99.2) and don't find mine (Tuft&Needle) to be hot. It might be a touch warmer than a traditional mattress, and maybe a touch cooler than a pillow-top. Generally speaking though, I'd say there's near enough to no difference.

From what I remember while shopping, there are basically "sleep in" (you sink into the mattress, like a hug) and "sleep on" types, mine is a "sleep on"... the other type may be significantly hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I was going to ask about the smell on any of these versions. What does everyone else think?
I was worried about the same, stood ours on edge while we were out of town for a weekend trip, came back and could discern no smell. My nose isn't the most sensitive, but my wife's is and she also couldn't smell anything. We've both been using memory foam pillows for over a decade and I remember those both having smells for different lengths of time and different intensities, the mattress was Way less than those pillows.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:07 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Count on foam beds to break down and "canoe" in a fairly short time, especially if they are slept on every night. (That is, not a guest-room bed used a few times a month or less.) Plastic foam is a rigid material and every compression breaks a few bubble walls; repeat a few thousand times and the dip/sag will be noticeable.

If you like foam and want a longer lifespan (like, yours) - go latex. Latex is a nonrigid material and the bubble rupture rate is almost nil. (That means all latex, not a latex layer with poly foam - which is somewhere between misleading and a scam.)

Old 03-28-2018, 11:07 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Count on foam beds to break down and "canoe" in a fairly short time, especially if they are slept on every night. (That is, not a guest-room bed used a few times a month or less.) Plastic foam is a rigid material and every compression breaks a few bubble walls; repeat a few thousand times and the dip/sag will be noticeable.
I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 230lbs. I normally form a hole (even with frequent flipping) within 8~10 months and have yet to do the same on the form mattress I've been sleeping on for the past 2 years. I've also not flipped/rotated the mattress in the least as the company claimed it was unnecessary. To me, it's clear that not ALL foam mattresses "canoe", as you put it. My foam mattress is so far ahead of a traditional spring mattress it's not even funny anymore, it's just sad. Cheaper by about 4 times, firmer/significantly more comfortable, no compressing/forming holes, etc...

It's fine to hypothesize something, but say that's what you're doing. If you have actual data from each respective manufacture to back up your claims, please post it as I'd like to see. But don't claim something that you can't prove, or at Least add that it's your Opinion.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:12 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
We bought a Zinus bed in a box last year and love it. Far more comfortable than the spring mattress that it replaced.
I thought Zinus went out of business. If they're still around, I'd buy a bed from them again. We got 2 "Beds in a box" with adjustable air-core mattresses 12 years ago. Bits and pieces of each have gone bad, but we still have one that works well and is very comfortable.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:51 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I thought Zinus went out of business. I
Still going strong on Amazon!

Zinus on Amazon

Old 03-28-2018, 02:16 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
I bought a queen size foam mattress from Aldi for just over 220 or so late last year. It's as comfortable to me as a more expensive mattress. I believe Aldi's brand was Huntington.

I would buy another one if needed. I don't see myself going back to buying a more expensive mattresses anytime soon.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:20 PM

7,097 posts, read 4,820,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
How are they if you 'run hot'? I've heard that they can be warm to sleep on, and as someone who's never cold I worry that I'd be uncomfortable.
I’m a hot sleeper, always have been. My foam mattress is no worse for me than any bed I’ve ever slept on.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 PM

38 posts, read 40,610 times
In the past 2 years I've purchased 2 Perfect Cloud Atlas and 2 Zinus mattresses all from Amazon and I will never go back to a store. They're easy to get and very comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House