Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are little hand held spritzer bottle bidets for around $30 if you hunt around, but they are hard to find and crap. I bought one, it broke, and I had to salvage the tip and modify a personal mister I had on hand to replace the small reservoir. There also are hoses that hook to a faucet, IIRC. I don't see that as an ideal solution for your gram.

In discussing this thread with a friend who cared for her elderly mother, the response was "Absolutely! Get the bidet and avoid the diaper route, as that can lead to the skin breaking down if not cleaned quickly." That reflects my hospital experience.

We have provided links to what we use, figure on spending around $300-$400 for a unit she can use with her limited flexibility and mobility. One of these sounds like the ideal solution to her problems, and it will save in medical expenses, time, and dignity. I don't know your skill set, or condition of your plumbing, or your flexibility reaching around for the seat anchors and attachment to the bottom of the tank, but you can find out if you may want a plumber to do the install by doing two things:

Rotate the water cut-off valve leading to the toilet tank and make sure it isn't frozen and still works properly. If it does...
Put on a pair of work gloves and reach underneath at the back of the existing seat and see if the wing nuts are free enough that you can remove the bolts holding the seat on when the new unit arrives.

If both those are good, and you have a GFCI outlet in the bathroom, you are good to go. If the cord bidet electric cord doesn't reach the outlet, technically you should have a new outlet installed, but I used a decent three prong extension cord and wiremold channel to protect the cord and keep its socket off the floor.
I dont feel confident in doing the plumbing or installing an electrical outlet, i have discovered Home Depot sells an acceptable product and they will come and do the installation . One like this perhaps =
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.u...000707914.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 09:18 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont feel confident in doing the plumbing or installing an electrical outlet, i have discovered Home Depot sells an acceptable product and they will come and do the installation . One like this perhaps =
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.u...000707914.html
You'll pay more for install and a slight premium for avoiding online shopping, but that should work.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:35 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
I've had a Toto Washlet for 10 years. Made in Japan, where this technology was perfected and has been used for decades. It still operates as good as new. I couldn't live without it.

Washlets are great for personal hygiene and because the old motherly advice to always wear clean underwear so you won’t be embarrassed if you, unfortunately, end up in the emergency room no longer suffices.

Today, with strip and cavity searches becoming more common, you must also always have clean underwear AND a clean hiney to avoid embarrassment. This is especially true at airport security checkpoints, where hundreds of people might be watching.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I've had a Toto Washlet for 10 years. Made in Japan, where this technology was perfected and has been used for decades. It still operates as good as new. I couldn't live without it.

Washlets are great for personal hygiene and because the old motherly advice to always wear clean underwear so you won’t be embarrassed if you, unfortunately, end up in the emergency room no longer suffices.

Today, with strip and cavity searches becoming more common, you must also always have clean underwear AND a clean hiney to avoid embarrassment. This is especially true at airport security checkpoints, where hundreds of people might be watching.
Anyone getting a cavity search has more to worry about than skidmarked underwear.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:20 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Cottonelles are much cheaper and easier to use.
Could be more a mobility issue. Can’t reach it, can't clean it.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:47 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Where are you seeing a $30 bidet? the one i linked to is close to $500.,As for washcloth and wipe? I'm not that keen on being grandmas wiper.
I was referring the link in post #9, sorry. I should have clarified that.

No one else wants to be a wiper, I assure you. But many have to do it.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:16 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No one else wants to be a wiper, I assure you.

Sometimes you're the wiper and sometimes you're the windshield.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Sometimes you're the wiper and sometimes you're the windshield.
Truth.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 AM

215 posts, read 258,632 times
Default But it does work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I was referring the link in post #9, sorry. I should have clarified that.

No one else wants to be a wiper, I assure you. But many have to do it.
I’m the poster of #9 . . . So I have both the $500 heated electric seat and the $25 attachment on two different toilets. And the $25 bidet works extremely well and so much better than using wipes. With both models you still have to wipe but just to get the water off. It’s very simple and soooo much cleaner than using TP.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Just wondering...do some women have problem with skidmarks because I've NEVER found skidmarks in my own underwear. Do men just not wipe or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House