Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 AM

11 posts, read 13,479 times

Advertisements

I have an off and on noisy neighbor that just moved in. It appears when they get drunk, they get loud as heck and I can hear them in my living room and in my bedroom. It was absolutely at its worst when they first moved in. Had parties and we can hear them singing and laughing. That's all fine but not when it goes on past midnight. I am thankful that the frequency of these incidents have died down but I think it was mostly because we just had winter. I think the parties are coming back in the summer. So what have I done to address this issue?
1. Talk to the neighbor face to face. No changes
2. Called HOA. Told they don't get involved.
3. Called the cops multiple times. They came and tried to listen while standing in front of the house when I specifically told them to come into my house and have a listen. They didn't. And they walked right over to my house after visiting my next door neighbor. I had to have a talk with his supervisor for blowing my cover.
4. Called the HOA mgmt firm and they sent out a letter and there was a section on noise.

Regardless of all of the above, the noise persists. It's their house and they can party all they want. But I can't tolerate it anymore. Our townhomes are not some cheap ones with thin drywalls in between. They're pretty decent. I didn't hear a peep from either side until THEY moved in.

We finally just decided to start searching for a new single family home...with a HUUUUUUGE land around the house. In the meantime, has anyone tried white noise makers? Do they work? I just cannot stand it anymore. They're nice folks in person but alcohol turns them into noisy ones, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:00 AM

32,907 posts, read 36,292,732 times
I've lived in two townhouses. Both were very quiet. The only time that I heard any noise from the family with three kids was when they all ran down the steps at the same time--like on Christmas morning. There was a very occasional boom or bang. Every once in a while I thought I might be hearing the other neighbor's music or TV, but it was very faint. Yes, either buy a single family home or choose a better townhouse.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:39 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,051 times
Curious when yours was built? I moved into a new 2017 built townhouse.

I can hear the faint noises of neighbor garages opening, or if someone falls on the floor or something, but can't ever hear my neighbor. I do hear things through the window though.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:47 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,923,494 times
The townhouse I owned years ago (in the 1970s) had brick firewalls between the units. I heard NOTHING from my neighbors.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:28 AM

22,652 posts, read 24,563,352 times
I would be fine living in an apartment/condo/townhouse for the rest of my life. Well, EXCEPT for the little matter of cigarette-smoke and noisy, dirty people.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:29 PM

17,469 posts, read 65,973,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
I have an off and on noisy neighbor that just moved in. It appears when they get drunk, they get loud as heck and I can hear them in my living room and in my bedroom. It was absolutely at its worst when they first moved in. Had parties and we can hear them singing and laughing. That's all fine but not when it goes on past midnight. I am thankful that the frequency of these incidents have died down but I think it was mostly because we just had winter. I think the parties are coming back in the summer. So what have I done to address this issue?
3. Called the cops multiple times. They came and tried to listen while standing in front of the house when I specifically told them to come into my house and have a listen. They didn't. And they walked right over to my house after visiting my next door neighbor. I had to have a talk with his supervisor for blowing my cover.
4. Called the HOA mgmt firm and they sent out a letter and there was a section on noise.

Regardless of all of the above, the noise persists. It's their house and they can party all they want. But I can't tolerate it anymore. Our townhomes are not some cheap ones with thin drywalls in between. They're pretty decent. I didn't hear a peep from either side until THEY moved in.

We finally just decided to start searching for a new single family home...with a HUUUUUUGE land around the house. In the meantime, has anyone tried white noise makers? Do they work? I just cannot stand it anymore. They're nice folks in person but alcohol turns them into noisy ones, unfortunately.

You do realize that the "problem" is NOT the townhouse (as implied in the title)- it's the neighbors!

Old 04-05-2018, 12:58 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,908,491 times
So the land idea can be good.

However, I have to say when we go to friends in the mountains or country and when we look at such homes sort of dreaming...if someone has a workshop in the garage you can hear the sawing and hammering for miles. Dogs for miles if they are not well trained and bark a lot. You need to be aware of hunting season. And those motorbikes. I don't know if it's a regional thing but some areas adults and kids love those things and even look for land to own, drive to and bike whenever possible.

So you need to watch out for those things.

About the police and hoas. I've been hearing and reading that this is true all over. More and more often, there are fewer and fewer officers. Combine that with the perception that the hoa can take care of itself. It becomes kind of hands off unless there is a big crime. Governments like that there are these pods where people are kept happy, pool, tennis, whatever else and you pay the hoa fee for that. And pay the govt taxes/local fees/whatever and yet hardly use the local district pools or parks if people have them in the hoa. Ideal situation for the local governments.

If it comes up, you could try a petition.

I had a great townhouse years ago with brick double walls on both sides. Older. That's how they built them so that neighbors would have quiet normal life without hearing everyone else's business.

You could try an end unit with the next townhouse far away and then put extra soundboard on the adjoining side.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 PM

5,446 posts, read 4,038,981 times
I live next to my LL (duplex type situation, old house). He likes to have the TV on at night. A portable fan in the hall outside my bedroom, between my bedroom and his unit, solves the problem.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:17 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,588,842 times
I live in a twin home (one shared wall). Unfortunately, the master bedroom shares a wall and is right above the garage/driveway. So lots of street noise, headlights, neighbor's tv, etc. I use this white noise machine to help dull the noise. And I fall asleep & wake to Liquid Mind music. It's very calming & relaxing. I wish the noise machine was programmable (different volumes at different times), but it's not. I don't use it every night, but it's right beside my bed if I need to use it.

Good luck to you as you try to resolve this.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,832,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

I have been there and did just what you are contemplating....

moved to a sfh on several acres.... finally, quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House