Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:19 PM

857 posts, read 959,396 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to gauge how much effort is needed to "build your own dream home" on a vacant lot.

Let's say a building plan has already been selected and blue prints are available. Is it possible to come to an agreement with a builder/contractor on a price, work out the payment schedule, and simply write the check at the appropriate time and let the contractor do the rest?

Or are there things like permits etc. that homeowners absolutely must do themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 12:36 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I do not think it is possible that you could contract for someone to build a house for you and you would never have to make another visit or decision in the process. There are always issues, permits, decisions, delays, back up plans that have to be made.

Unless you are writing a very large check and plan to just go on a world tour and hope for the best when you get back! :-)

Old 04-08-2018, 12:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I'm trying to gauge how much effort is needed to "build your own dream home" on a vacant lot.
The questions are not new ones.

Ever hear of Mr Blandings and his family?
They even made a movie about it: Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) - IMDb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jjKs06-UY

Old 04-08-2018, 12:58 PM

857 posts, read 959,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

They even made a movie about it: [
Actually I don't mean to design one from scratch. If it were me doing it I would pick a very nice one from those off-the-shelf designs.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:03 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

They even made a movie about it: Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) - IMDb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jjKs06-UY
One of my all time favorite movies! It is hilarious but at the same time eerily realistic.

Old 04-08-2018, 01:11 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I do not think it is possible that you could contract for someone to build a house for you and you would never have to make another visit or decision in the process. There are always issues, permits, decisions, delays, back up plans that have to be made.

Unless you are writing a very large check and plan to just go on a world tour and hope for the best when you get back! :-)
I can't imagine not needing to be involved in a house build until the final check needs to be written. There are probably permits the landowner must take out, not the builder. Who would care so little about the house to do this? Sort of the point of having a house built is the ability to MAKE the design decisions yourself. If you leave everything up to the builder and something doesn't turn out right, what recourse would you have?

Might as well buy a model manufactured home, have it hauled to the site and "installed". Then you have a "manufactured home" on a lot. I suppose if you are someone who doesn't plan on ever residing the house or just buying the land and house simply to sell it again for profit. No emotional attachment to any of it.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
You have the plans, the money, and own the vacant lot free and clear. A builder can and will turn key the entire project for you once you have signed a contract for a fixed amount or a cost plus contract. You aren't involved once the builder files his mechanics liens other than an observer, as such. Everything has already been agreed upon before signing of the contract. That pretty much defines what I've been doing for a few decades now. Any permits, engineering, etc, should be included in the contract price so there are no surprises for you. I would also tell you to put into the contract a "bailout clause" in that should you not be happy with the builders efforts, you can pay all of the bills on the project plus a specific percentage and you and him are no longer in business together.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:29 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I would prefer to be involved from the start.

You can build a home with out visiting the site though. You will need to have great planning at the start though. I would say not only picking a layout for your home but in choosing everything that goes into the home. On a commercial side of things we hold planning meetings going into a project.

It is not just the building plans bu so much more. Where will this house sit on the lot? What about the materials that will go into the house? Finishes and in many cases furnishings as well.

If you are a detail person and can create something on paper that will work, including putting a scrap book of sorts with the chosen finishes, a book that includes the materials you will use for the home, lighting, faucets, anything going into the home. Get that in a book for your builder. Give him or her options for the just in case situation.

It is possible.

For me it would be no fun though. I would want to be involved with the process.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:56 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
I would go with a factory built and one of their local contractors to put it in place. Not a house built on a trailer frame, mind you, an actual engineered house built indoors in a controlled environment with trained workers and precise tooling and fixtures. Many are laid out to accommodate assembly in a factory and over the road shipment, so the sections are limited to 14 feet wide. The typical one then is 28 feet x whatever, to come up with what fits your lot. Up to 4 bedrooms, 2000 sq ft. Someone still has to place it and build a foundation and hookup utilities but it is much faster than site built.
Another company I looked at builds the house as wall modules that are lifted into place on the job site by a crane, then a roof is built in place. These are more open to design to look like any house.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
You can buy an existing house and have it moved to your lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House