Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 16,217 times

Advertisements

We're having a home built by a well known local builder. Drywall has been primed, textured and painted. However, we noticed you can see each and every place where mud was applied. Not only at the drywall tape/seam lines, but where the screws were filled as well. We went by the house before the texture was up, and all the mud lines felt smooth, so not sure why they're showing up through the paint/texture. Is this level of finishing considered 'normal' and would you accept this or make the builder fix it? Just wondering if I'm being too picky. I've attached a photo and the issue I'm referring to can be seen on the right hand side of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
New construction, drywall finishing issue-drywallpaint.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 12:19 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil05 View Post
We're having a home built by a well known local builder. Drywall has been primed, textured and painted. However, we noticed you can see each and every place where mud was applied. Not only at the drywall tape/seam lines, but where the screws were filled as well. We went by the house before the texture was up, and all the mud lines felt smooth, so not sure why they're showing up through the paint/texture. Is this level of finishing considered 'normal' and would you accept this or make the builder fix it? Just wondering if I'm being too picky. I've attached a photo and the issue I'm referring to can be seen on the right hand side of the photo.
NO! You are not being picky.

The only reason for texturing drywall (which, btw, I hate as much as popcorned ceilings) is to hide those kinds of blemishes in work done by less-than-the-best drywallers.

There may be some large-scale waviness apparent in the wall at such a side-lighted angle because of warp in the underlying studs. That's the framer, not the drywaller.

But doing drywall well--certainly well enough not to see screw holes and tape seams--should be within the capability of any professional, and certainly if the wall has been textured.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:31 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
For your reading pleasure-

https://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...ems-can-en.pdf

here's a little free advise-
a house IS NOT PERFECT by any stretch of the imagination. Learn and understand what "industry standard" means. Also, your claim will be discounted because of the window light and the angle. That would fall outside of "industry standard" when viewing/inspecting the finish of drywall.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
The industry calls it Ghosting. It's a fact of life and it isn't going away. The fix is to get rid of the light coming in.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:11 PM

I suppose I'm just surprised at the shown results because we currently live in a 'starter' home, less than half the cost of our new construction home, and these drywall issues do not exist, even with like lighting.

I'll admit I am very much an attention to detail person, but I just figured a $300k+ home wouldn't have these cosmetic issues.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:47 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
I presume your contract specifies a level of drywall finish.
Construction DesignWorks

P.S. Where I live, $300K buys you land. No building.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:56 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
Quote:
What am I missing here? I see some waviness but no lines?
And what type of texture does the wall have? I didn't see any.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
What am I missing here? I see some waviness but no lines?
And what type of texture does the wall have? I didn't see any.

The 'waves' you're seeing are the lines I'm referring to. They're much more apparent in person. Basically, nearly everywhere that they applied the mud, whether it be along the joints or when filling the screw holes, is showing up as a different sheen than the rest of the drywall under the paint. The wall itself feels smooth.

There is texture, it's a light texture similar to orange peel.

If it was only on this one wall I wouldn't even mention it, but it's also really apparent on the ceiling downstairs through the entire main area of the kitchen/dining/living.

I did check through our contract and there wasn't a level of finishing mentioned, but according to the document that davebarnes posted, I believe it was finished to a level 4....or perhaps a level 3.

Last edited by lil05; 04-10-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,913,458 times
Generally, people are sort of friendly about letting others see the work of their builders. How about asking some neighbors or wherever else this builder built if they had problems, if they are neighbors or know you they may invite you in to look. Maybe a few of you could get together to have a louder voice.

We had a sort of similar thing but it was the paint, not the wall. A section was painted with a paint a tiny bit glossier,not much, than the rest and with horizontal strokes and then there was an overhead light showing it up.

Remind the builder that friends will see this and...hey, you want to put your new home interior on social media like anyone else, right.

Last edited by petsandgardens; 04-11-2018 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 08:57 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times
Quote:
I suppose I'm just surprised at the shown results because we currently live in a 'starter' home, less than half the cost of our new construction home, and these drywall issues do not exist, even with like lighting.

I'll admit I am very much an attention to detail person, but I just figured a $300k+ home wouldn't have these cosmetic issues.
It’s contractors—flooring and drywall,etc.— these days. They come in and get your money and do a half-expletive-omitted job and call it good.

Dealing with similar issues. Good luck getting them to do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House