Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 04:00 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,863,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My dream home would be a spooky old Victorian with ornate walnut wood work that was never painted. It would have an upstairs balcony and ornate original trim on the outside. The windows would have to be original and there would have to be stained glass windows. There would be original fireplaces with all of the original tiles and ornate unpainted mantels. It would have all hard wood floors and pocket doors. All of the hardware and light fixtures would be original. The outside would have a large antique iron fence around the property and it would be next to an amazing, beautiful grave yard.

Okay I'm a weirdo, but I love spooky things, and the neighbors would be super quiet. I could imagine decorating it for Halloween. I know how fun our 1911 Foursquare looks at Halloween, but a spooky old Victorian? Over the top.
Oh wow, we must be twins, lol.

I would also love a spooky looking older Victorian

We have quite a few in the area and I'm still renting, so it's a possibility. The great news here is that houses are very inexpensive and I recently saw a wonderful Victorian go for $225K that was a historic house. Anywhere else it would have gone for 3x as much.

Halloween is my favorite holiday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 04:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,208,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
At the age of 58, I think I am in my "dream home," but this is probably my 5th dream home. LOL.

As an architectural historian, I love them all. (Since 1978, I have purchased and sold 10 homes. Yikes.)

My first house was perfect for my growing family. It had 1,200 square feet and 1.5 baths! I thought we were all in hog heaven!

Skip forward a few years and I ended up divorced and remarried and living in a Mid-Century brick ranch with 200-feet of frontage on a lake. I expected to grow old there, but I did not. My husband died tragically and I sold the house.

Now I am single again and last October (after 12 months in a rental), I *think* I found my dream house.

It's 1770 square feet with 3 tiny bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. It's quirky and fun and has lots of windows. It was custom built by the former owner, and it's got a sunken foyer, and side-loading garage in the basement.

Best part - the Japanese soaking tub in the master bathroom.

Your place looks beautiful

Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,370,916 times
My dream home would have a large front porch with a non-beach view and a screened porch in the back. Bedrooms for all my adult children to come visit, a large kitchen with good bones and lots of open shelving, not necessarily updated. Room for a ping pong table inside, and badminton outside. Fireplaces. Either old or new, but classic style, not contemporary. One large open gathering space is ok, but I'd also like separate rooms and walls for bookcases and pianos. I'm open to the location, just not the west coast or the south,and a major airport must be nearby. My current place has much of that, except for walls and separate rooms.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,009,985 times
Pool, outdoor kitchen, outdoor fireplace (not fire pit but actual fireplace), two bedrooms, two bath, detached guest house one bedroom, one bath. Downtown Fort Lauderdale. I want to be able to see the skyline at night as I float in my pool at night.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:49 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,860,191 times
My dream home would be in Belvair, Pacific Palisades, or Brentwood in L.A. hanging off the side of a cliff, with a view of the city, and the beach.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,175,471 times
Lots of KNOTTY PINE PANELING; stained woodwork, hardwood floors, and big windows. Rooms painted actual colors, no greige. Walls between rooms. Kitchen with a swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room. Stone or brick fireplace (s). Large detached garage. Room enough on the land to have a sunny vegetable garden and also a shady yard with some big trees shading the house.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:54 AM

219 posts, read 155,816 times
I love my current house. The only thing that it's missing that I'd enjoy having is a two-car garage (or room in the driveway for another car to park "off-street" and that the half-bath was a three-quarter bath. Having a powder room, let alone a second bath is rare on my street, but it would be nice to have a place for guests to shower as I'm not game to send them to the cinderblock shower/toilet combo in the basement. :-)

As it stands, the only things that are feasible that would turn my beloved house into my dream house is have it fully paid off with all of the detail work done (retaining walls replaced, trim painted, new wooden shutters and windows, brick repointed, etc.) I've been chipping away at the "details," so it shouldn't be too long until that aspect of my dream is completed.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:07 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,257,557 times
I've posted on these threads from time to time, and it seems my dream home changes here and there. Right now my dream home would have:
  • location: no bugs (or minimal bugs) (where I live now we have every kind of bug in every season and they drive me NUTS)
  • very large great room (minimum 20x20) for entertaining
  • every bedroom has its own bathroom
  • covered lanai with full kitchen and in-ground pool in the back
  • theater room
  • no dining room or formal living room
  • synthetic lawn so there's no maintenance for 15-20 years
  • no HOA
  • 2-3 acres for privacy

Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM

110 posts, read 168,765 times
My perfect home would be within a mile of either Lake Michigan or Lake Huron. It would have everything I needed on the main floor (kitchen, full bath, one bedroom, laundry), but have a couple of bedrooms on the second floor, so I could have family stay over now and age in place later. It would have in-ground geothermal heating and cooling, spray foam insulation, high-r-value windows, and a fireplace insert so burning wood would send more heat into the room than up the chimney. It would also have a garage, room for a lot of gardening, and be placed in a safe, walkable neighborhood near coffee shops, bookstores, and a farmer's market.

Basically, I want to move my current neighborhood a few hundred miles northwest and put the house of my dreams in it.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,679,636 times
Acreage. About a hundred would be ideal. Other than that any plain old house would do. So long as it has plumbing, electric and cable lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House