Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

A new home, that looks like an old home, that sits on a large acrage, yet near urban amenities...

Likely a unicorn at any budget.

Practically speaking I'd like acreage and a large Ranch house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
This thread reminded me of another- of several- thread(s)-

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...deal-home.html

My ideal dream house is pictured!!!

Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
My dream home would be a spooky old Victorian with ornate walnut wood work that was never painted. It would have an upstairs balcony and ornate original trim on the outside. The windows would have to be original and there would have to be stained glass windows. There would be original fireplaces with all of the original tiles and ornate unpainted mantels. It would have all hard wood floors and pocket doors. All of the hardware and light fixtures would be original. The outside would have a large antique iron fence around the property and it would be next to an amazing, beautiful grave yard.

Okay I'm a weirdo, but I love spooky things, and the neighbors would be super quiet. I could imagine decorating it for Halloween. I know how fun our 1911 Foursquare looks at Halloween, but a spooky old Victorian? Over the top.
Soulmate! When are we moving?
In my version it has some modern conveniences that are integrated with the original fixtures so as to not be obvious, and it needs a huge yard with a crazy fun english type garden and at least one huge gnarly old tree for kids to climb and old people to sit under and read a good book
If there is a wooded lake nearby it get's bonus points.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:54 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
My home is pretty much already my dream home. The only thing it lacks is a stream on the property. I just love having running water like a stream or a creek, which is why I installed the waterfall in my backyard. It's not a natural feature though, even though it's attractive. A real stream would be perfect!

Old 04-11-2018, 05:24 PM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
We are in our dream home. Or so we thought. Built this house just the way we want it... big ranch house with open floor plan on acreage, big kitchen, lots of parking room for my spouse's car hobby and beautiful barn for my horses, centered right in between Denver and Boulder, close to a major business center, miles of bike trails and shopping...

I've lived in Colorado all my life, my spouse has been here for most of his... and we ready to try something else while still young enough to. Now that we are retiring we are finding we want to live near a coast as we both love big water fishing/boating.

We plan to list this place beginning of May, wish us luck!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:28 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
800 sq ft, one bedroom, one bath on a 1/4 acre, with a 16 foot wall all the way around.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:29 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Dream home? No mortgage.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:33 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
a mansion that has acre in sq feet so more than 40,000 square feeet

Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
My "Dream home" would be autonomous, superinsulated, minimal upkeep, frugal, and efficient. It would be disaster resistant, capable of operating in climate extremes, and secure. It would approximate a cube, minimizing surface area and maximizing volume. It would have a roof deck, and feature a summer kitchen, and dining al fresco. Instead of a lawn, it would have an edible landscape.

All exterior door openings would have airlocks or foyers. Windows would be burglar proof. Internal stairway would be fireproof and a fire escape.

Optimally, it would be stress skin thin shell concrete sandwich wall, fireproof, windproof, vermin proof, waterproof, and impervious to flying debris.

(Other boring details omitted)
Yes, YES!
And it should move at warp 3 speeds, with deflector shields, and phaser arrays!!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Interesting how my 'dream home' has evolved over my lifetime. At one time I wanted some palatial Gilded / Industrial Age mansion / castle with many various formal gardens on hundreds of acres (Biltmore, Deering Mansion, Hearst Castle, Ringling Mansion, Stan Hywet Hall, etc..

Then at times I wanted a log cabin near a body of running water or on edge of woods with an expansive meadow.

Or a modest villa on a hill with 360 degree views of Mediterranean or Adriatic sea large expanse down to boat docking area and beaches... (Villa Terrace in Milwaukee has excellent placement on Lake Michigan)

Then I wanted an off grid mountain cabin with tower viewing. Sort of a Lindal Cedar Lodge, then a Swiss cottage, or a Cotswold English country cottage or a French Farm house or a Modernist modest Art Deco like villa on Lake Balaton in Hungary. Probably the most quintessential visually is the small castle on the island in Lake Bled, Slovenia.

I can't make up my mind but I am content with a smaller residence @ 1100 sf where I can swim anytime and when the weather is nice go out on my balcony to relax in sun in morning / early afternoon hours (provided its not cloudy and relax) - wish it was another 50 feet higher for better views of surrounding area.

I've designed multiple 'dream home' floor plans for myself over the years and occasionally I have an interesting journey reviewing the evolution of my 'dream' taste. Last one I did is a 98k sq ft 8 floor castle with basketball court, swimming pool, theater, wine cellar, two indoor pools, secret tunnels, staircases, dungeon, etc. Hence the name "Dream Home" - I few times in my youth when I would design these house floor plans I would literally have dreams of wandering the home / mansions it was so cool! Haven't had one of those 'dreams' in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House