Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:13 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
My "Dream home" would be autonomous, superinsulated, minimal upkeep, frugal, and efficient. It would be disaster resistant, capable of operating in climate extremes, and secure. It would approximate a cube, minimizing surface area and maximizing volume. It would have a roof deck, and feature a summer kitchen, and dining al fresco. Instead of a lawn, it would have an edible landscape.

All exterior door openings would have airlocks or foyers. Windows would be burglar proof. Internal stairway would be fireproof and a fire escape.

Optimally, it would be stress skin thin shell concrete sandwich wall, fireproof, windproof, vermin proof, waterproof, and impervious to flying debris.

(Other boring details omitted)
Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 06:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
My home I live in now is my dream home. We have a view of the lake and golf course. I love windows we have 60 of them. We have less room to hang pictures but I love the light and views from every room. We have an interior courtyard that has a limestone floor, so our dogs can go outside and sit and play in safety.(our dogs are small and we do get Mexican eagles a small dog can be a good food item for them )

We have an outdoor fireplace in the courtyard and one in the living room. The house just fits us in every way. A large kitchen where friends , family normally hang out. Master Bedroom is downstairs, and we do have guests bedrooms upstairs. My husband has his den up there. He was paralyzed a few years ago so we had a chair lift put in. Now he is able to walk ...its there as we age and will need it.

We live in a friendly community, about a mile from our son and his family.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Yes, YES!
And it should move at warp 3 speeds, with deflector shields, and phaser arrays!!
That's the RV, parked out back.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Lions, tigers, and bears, oh my.
Not really.
More like why build / own a termite restaurant, built of flammable materials, ruined by flooding, easily breached or blown over, cost a fortune to own, heat, cool, and insure?

There’s a company (TriDiPanel) that posted pictures of a Habitat for Humanity house built using their concrete sandwich wall method in hurricane prone Florida (with Jimmy Carter’s help no less!). They had a post hurricane shot of the house to show their prowess.

Tridipanel - Hurricanes and Tornadoes - 1 of 14 homes damaged - Eco Friendly Home | Green Homes Building | Environmentally Friendly Home

Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Lots of KNOTTY PINE PANELING; stained woodwork, hardwood floors, and big windows. Rooms painted actual colors, no greige. Walls between rooms. Kitchen with a swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room. Stone or brick fireplace (s). Large detached garage. Room enough on the land to have a sunny vegetable garden and also a shady yard with some big trees shading the house.
Oh - no TVs but lots and lots of bookshelves; and a large light-filled room acoustically isolated, for music practice.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,722 times
Hubby bought us out dream house last year in Wyoming. We're on just over a half an acre of land living in a super rural community. Our house has both a front and back porch for enjoying the mountain views and sipping beverages. It has a huge garage for our vehicles and all of hubby's tools and man toys. It has a jetted soaker tub (which seems to be going out of style these days so it is a real score) where I can unwind and read my books daily. It has the kitchen, livingroom, bedroom, den, two bathrooms and the laundry room all on the first floor, perfect for having everything easily accessible as we age.
It has a huge basement with a living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom, for our kids to use now and for visitors to use later, as well as our kids/grandchildren when they come to visit.

The house has huge windows that let in lots of natural light and the amazing views of our mountains. The kitchen has handmade wooden cabinets and an enormous pantry, not known for our area. Plus anspecious dining area because family dinners are important to us. Another rarity since most houses where we live are just seasonal, most snow birds leave in the winter months.

The only thing the house didn't come with was any landscaping, but at least it's a blank slate for us to add what we want. We've planted apsens and spruce trees last year, plants and shrubs in the front yard as well. We will add grass and other details as the money becomes available.

When hubby bought us this house I said this is the house I want to live in until the day I die. I can't think of any place else that I'd rather live.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:49 AM

635 posts, read 783,604 times
One that is paid for. My man thing is having a garage to work in. I hope I swing such a place before I die. Housing is crazy expensive compared to wages.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Of course in Paradise. It's all about location folks.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/...n_6193058.html

What Makes Palawan the World's Best Island | Travel + Leisure

Just being imaginative how I can afford there. Earlier generations were lucky as prices were still low but now everything has been bought up and to own a beachfront SFH in the best areas means US$50M upwards. I have to be imaginative on ways how to cough up the money but I do have a plan. Okay I'll spill the plan. It is basically partnering with like-minded female (got to be) individuals willing to share in the same abode. I have one working in Singapore, another in Dubai, another in Germany and another in Philippines and we are trying to lay the groundwork of sharing the same paradise dream and turning it into reality by combining our savings. Being born there allows me to buy the elusive beachfront land that has access to almost YEAR-ROUND sea swimming without needing the wetsuits, right in our backyard.

We will have separate rooms and the house being designed by my son is wavy rectangular where each room has a glass wall floor-to-ceiling for a Paradise-class vista of the ocean, foremost, and some mountains and hills.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:14 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Not really.
More like why build / own a termite restaurant, built of flammable materials, ruined by flooding, easily breached or blown over, cost a fortune to own, heat, cool, and insure?

There’s a company (TriDiPanel) that posted pictures of a Habitat for Humanity house built using their concrete sandwich wall method in hurricane prone Florida (with Jimmy Carter’s help no less!). They had a post hurricane shot of the house to show their prowess.

Tridipanel - Hurricanes and Tornadoes - 1 of 14 homes damaged - Eco Friendly Home | Green Homes Building | Environmentally Friendly Home
So what shall you call your bomb shelter, uh home?
'Alcatraz'?

Actually that's pretty impressive , even considering that the Homestead homes were poorly constructed.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
So what shall you call your bomb shelter, uh home?
'Alcatraz'? [Pelicans? origin of 'Alcatraz' Spanish: Isla de Alcatraces, Island of Pelicans.]

Actually that's pretty impressive , even considering that the Homestead homes were poorly constructed.
'Cretans are always amazed at the denigration of concrete for use in residential construction and furnishings. Must be an "American" thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete
Today, concrete is the most widely used human-made material (measured by tonnage).

Flyingconcrete - Home
Fanciful shapes and artistic houses (in Mexico)

Disaster resistant housing

http://www.monolithic.org/benefits/benefits-survivability/surviving-hurricanes-and-tornadoes
http://architecture.about.com/cs/bui...cretehomes.htm
AiDomes | Geodesic Dome Home Kits
Tridipanel - Home - Eco Friendly Home | Green Homes Building | Environmentally Friendly Home

ANTHROPOGENIC STONE DECOR
https://www.concretenetwork.com/faux-finishes/
https://www.concretenetwork.com/stained-concrete/
https://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/countertops/

https://www.hometalk.com/14872605/di...op-overlay?r=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House