Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:35 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
10-car garage with lifts, car-wash bay, oil change pit, and tools as far as the eye can see. Set aside an area off to the side with a 80" TV, couches, pool table and bar area. Attach enough house to it to keep the wife and kids happy.

Ha! That was my answer. Whenever I go looking for houses, a large garage or place to put one is first on the list. Then location, then what kind of actual house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather67 View Post
My perfect home would be within a mile of either Lake Michigan or Lake Huron. It would have everything I needed on the main floor (kitchen, full bath, one bedroom, laundry), but have a couple of bedrooms on the second floor, so I could have family stay over now and age in place later. It would have in-ground geothermal heating and cooling, spray foam insulation, high-r-value windows, and a fireplace insert so burning wood would send more heat into the room than up the chimney. It would also have a garage, room for a lot of gardening, and be placed in a safe, walkable neighborhood near coffee shops, bookstores, and a farmer's market.

Basically, I want to move my current neighborhood a few hundred miles northwest and put the house of my dreams in it.
Have you ever thought of a reverse main floor lay out? Many homes on the beach in my area have the main floor as the second floor and the first floor is where the bedrooms are. Of course when your sitting on the sand you have better views higher up. Others have the ocean view side of the home with the views, so you may end up with a living room on the first floor and a family room on the second along with the kitchen and dining room. Bedrooms are on the non view side of the home. Others have went to a three story concept with maybe a master suite on the third facing the ocean. Wonder how a similar concept would work on the lake.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:55 PM

323 posts, read 221,881 times
Fun question! Well, I've always loved those antique charming homes in Charleston, South Carolina. With a wrap around veranda, porch swing, acre or 2 of land. Bay Windows in front.

Nice deep large sink with a window in front facing a large body of water, watching boats sail by at night with the lights. stainless steel everything in the kitchen.

A roomy foyer as you come in, only 3-4 bedroom and a "man cave" type entertainment room in the finished basement.

I really love the homes around three tree point/ burien, Washington. Maybe even Martha's vineyard

Old 04-13-2018, 05:03 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,277,583 times
My house is probably about 80%-90% my dream house. It is an 1865 Victorian with 5 bedrooms & 3 baths. It has 5 fireplaces (only one is working), a large dining room, a beautiful foyer, a cupola, & a two-bay/two story garage. We have two rooms on the first floor other than the large living room. One is our library & the other we call our "memorial room" which is a room we put all our family heirlooms in. It has beautiful molding in some of the downstairs rooms. The molding in the living room has disappeared but we plan on replacing it someday.

What it doesn't have that I would love to have is:

-Another floor with two or three more bedrooms* (and that would mean another bathroom up there).
-A larger kitchen so I can have an island
-A bigger library
-A bigger foyer
-A big walk-in shower
-A jetted tub
-A ballroom.
-A few other minor details

*Only two of our bedrooms are being used as bedrooms. One is our office, another is our laundry room, & the last one is my husband's "man cave"/smoking pit.

But, almost everyday, I look around my house and can't believe it is mine.

Cat
Attached Thumbnails
Your idea of a Dream Home-058.jpg  

Old 04-13-2018, 09:30 PM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
I remember your series about the work on the house. That was very interesting.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:20 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
My dream home changes with phases of my life.
But I did live in one of them for 14 years.
Cozy off-grid cabin overlooking a scenic river in the mountains of northern Idaho.
It was perfection.
Till we entered a new phase of life and moved to the city.
Pretty happy with this house now.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
... a Paradise-class vista...
Paradise-class. Now you're talkin'. Love that phrase.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:32 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Paradise Lost
Florida dome home stranded by erosion
Cape Romano Dome House | Abandoned Florida

Old 04-15-2018, 03:44 AM

506 posts, read 509,893 times
Yes. My idea of a dream house is a home in the Texas Hill Country on several acres of land (about 2 to 5 acres, give or take). Austin limestone exterior. Wraparound porch entirely, with a carport attaching the house to the detached garage.

Garage will have a Chevy Tahoe or Chevy Silverado, and an Indian motorcycle.

Fireplace. Metal roofing. Swimming pool outside. Hot tub. An area for a fire pit with chairs surrounding it so I can enjoy the stars. Several trees and shrubs (live oak, fruit trees, crepe myrtles, magnolia). Vegetable gardens. Prickly pear cacti. Agave plants. I hope to see wildlife. I find bobcats and coyotes beautiful. Deer too.

Yes, I will have it. It is achievable with my future career plans in banking.

The house will be more or less like the Norton House in Llano, combined with the house like Marjorie Nugent's (Shirley MacLaine) house in the movie "Bernie."

I even have the custom home-builder for that kind of house bookmarked.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
All of this asking the question and never answering it myself.

What is my dream home?

While we do love our home and can be perfectly content with where we are living, a dream home that I have always had would include the following.

First floor to include a large open living space with a large kitchen, dining, and living room. half bath in the area. Other rooms on the first floor would be a home library with reading area, home office for me that will include a half bath. home theater in its own room, a family room. I would want the maids quarters on the first floor as well.

Second floor to include master suite with his and her bathrooms separated by a Jacuzzi room. Another living room for the family. 6 additional bedroom and bathroom mini suites for our kids.

third floor will include a guest suite with the remainder of the room a large open entertaining area with access to the outside.

The property will include a swimming pool, with a pool house, a guest home, tennis court / sports court, and a large garage for at least 10 cars, with a living area built above the garage.

I am dreaming after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House