Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:00 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times

Advertisements

A quad level built in the late 1950s, with all the original fixtures. I used to babysit for a neighbor that lived in a quad level, and would spend the evenings fantasizing about how I'd furnish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 05:12 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
Oh i have a dream hoyse.

All one floor, of course. English Tudor or timber frame look with stone base.

U shaped, with courtyard in the center of the U all enclosed as the greenhouse conservatory would jut out from there ( the center of the U.) Grilling porch on one side of the conservatory and pergola put do it "room on the other side of the conservatory.

3 or 4 car garage, one for each of our cars, and either third room for the yard toys in the other. As part of the house ( meaning attached so no walking in the rain).

Warm climate a must.

The courtyard will be both open garden, a pergola also for relaxing, a totally private area enough if we wanted to sunbathe nude, we could around a small jaccuzi and pool. At least 2 acres preferably 3.

4 bedrooms plus dining and media rooms.

5 bathrooms.

Kitchen with eat in breakfast nook in a rounded area.

Laundry near to master bedroom, so we just push dirty clothes through a slot and bingo in the laundry, but quiet so as to sleep even when laundry is running.

Double insulated tight with air exchanger on the climate control. Double or triple insulated windows.

About 2500-3000 sq ft not including a 20√ó30 conservatory. The cobservstory is for plants, a seedling area, a two chair bistro set, surrounded by plants plants and more plants.

Lots of sliding glass doors to the center U. The master directly to the U and one onsuited guest room too. Large walk in closets in the master.

Pantry and plenty of storage off the big kitchen.
All in a warm climate of course.
There's more, of course.

I don't want much do i?

Lol.
You said dream house.
If I knew how to post pics, is draw and take a picture, lol.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:25 PM

7,437 posts, read 4,676,648 times
This will be my dream purchase that I'm assembling money for. I have slept there a total of 180 nights. White fine sand all over.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:04 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
As a kid I thought up a "dream home" for a car guy.

A geodesic dome, maybe 40 foot radius, the entire ground floor is accessible to cars and other vehicles via at least one garage door. A workbench goes around the entire perimeter. One or more wood stoves for heat, maybe a ground sourced heat pump for overall A/C and heat. Maybe locate the kitchen and dining area on the ground floor as well, with the appliances sort of set into the workbench. Probably at least one bath on the ground floor as well.

A spiral staircase in the center would go to a second floor where there would be bedrooms, at least one bathroom, maybe the kitchen and dining area would be upstairs too. Or maybe 2 kitchens, one up and one down. Include a "firemen's pole" for rapid access from upstairs to down.

No, I don't think I will ever build it.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:03 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
A town house in NYC with my own parking garage underneath and an elevator to the upper stories and a roof top patio.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Pool, outdoor kitchen, outdoor fireplace (not fire pit but actual fireplace), two bedrooms, two bath, detached guest house one bedroom, one bath. Downtown Fort Lauderdale. I want to be able to see the skyline at night as I float in my pool at night.
I love that!!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
We are in our dream home. Or so we thought. Built this house just the way we want it... big ranch house with open floor plan on acreage, big kitchen, lots of parking room for my spouse's car hobby and beautiful barn for my horses, centered right in between Denver and Boulder, close to a major business center, miles of bike trails and shopping...

I've lived in Colorado all my life, my spouse has been here for most of his... and we ready to try something else while still young enough to. Now that we are retiring we are finding we want to live near a coast as we both love big water fishing/boating.

We plan to list this place beginning of May, wish us luck!
Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2018, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 4,202 times
One with a roof above and good walls all around.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:18 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Have you ever thought about having a dream home. What does that mean exactly? Can it be an existing home that you have always wanted? Is their some kind of specific home that you want? Is it a home with a 10 car garage? Is it a home without a garage? Is the garage a separate structure? What amenities does your dream home have?

Is is a small place, a large place, How small is small and what does it mean to be big?

Will you build a dream house in your lifetime?
The next house we have is going to be what I refer to as Dream Home Alpha, because it will be a smaller prototype of what I hope one day would be more of the ultimate dream home level. I will describe Alpha because it's going to happen, and is realistic, rather than something where, yeah, 20 years down the road, I could probably build it but will I want to tie up my money in that? Might depend how much I had. The ultimate dream home would be similar, only on a much grander lot (somewhere like The Ridges in Summerlin, premium view lot, gated neighborhood), and a much larger build with additional amenities.

The next house we are building will be roughly 4,500 square feet, I think that gets it done, but here are the relevant features:

-Concrete / ultra modern design for aesthetic appeal, energy efficiency, sound proofing, and bug-proofing.
-Condo / office building quality of windows, thick frames, virtually unbreakable, allow no sound (bedrooms would likely have two double-pane windows for added sound protection; we already have this in our current home courtesy of Soundproof Windows, great company).
-Solar paneling provides 100% of energy needs for the home (current home it's about 34%, mainly because we're in cloudy Oregon and it's a 3-story house, so not as much roof space).
-Outdoor swimming pool, hot tub, and fire pit with nice seating area.
-Two complete master bedrooms with attached bathrooms and walk-in closets.
-Two other "bedrooms" that would actually be used as home offices (next buyer could use them however).
-One guest bedroom, smaller than the offices even, used just for friends visiting from out of town; no attached bathroom needed, would probably share a hallway bathroom with the two offices.
-Living room area (house potentially shaped like a U where you walk in at the lower part and the pool, etc. is in the middle of the U) would have 18-20 foot ceilings with huge windows, overlooking the pool and disguising the fact that the living room / kitchen / dining area is not that huge, just big enough and functional, pristine modern finishes.
-Large open entertainment area to be used for my arcade cabinet, pinball machine, air hockey table, a small bar setup with a fridge, side by side 75" 4K TVs for gaming and sports with large couch setup (sports parties, Sunday football, Golden Knights hockey, etc.); sports memorabilia would surround the room.
-Attached to the large entertainment area, a dedicated sound-padded home theater with a 4K projector and top-of-the-line Dolby Atmos surround sound; seats 8 in two rows.
-Also attached to the entertainment area would be a dedicated home gym with my bench press / squat cage, free weights, pulley system, elliptical, and ideally a leg press. Also would include 65" TV or so for during workouts.

That's pretty much what gets it done for me, where I have what I want in a house to be happy but not go all crazy.

The ultimate dream home, everything would simply be bigger, home IMAX theater setup, pool table, bowling alley, 20-cabinet arcade room, grander lot, bigger entryway, larger living room, huge formal dining for parties, bigger pool, etc.

I am surprised given that we have HGTV and that people use Pinterest and all that people are largely uncreative with their houses. That's why we decided we have to build. Thousands and thousands of houses in our budget range, all "nice," all full of useless space. The main difference we keep seeing between a $350,000 house and a $1M house or even $1.5M house is literally an extra bedroom or two, added formal dining, another sitting room, a bigger kitchen, the master is bigger (way too big), maybe the bathrooms are all bigger and there are more of them. It's literally just a complete waste of money and space. Your life wouldn't be ANY better in the $1.5M house than the $400K one, even the materials used to construct the home remain just as lousy, wood framing with minimal concern for energy efficiency or soundproofing. No added fun whatsoever.

For us, the whole point of spending more money on a house is that you can DO more inside of it, so what am I spending $1M+ for if I don't have a home theater or an amazing entertainment area? It's sure as to heck not for a couple more bedrooms I don't need or an extra couch in the living room for those 2 times per decade we have 50 people over and somehow want 3 more to sit down. It seems to me 99% of people are building these big expensive houses to show off their wealth, but seem completely baffled by what to do with the space. They must spend their time at work, out and about, on vacation, or reading a book, so they can't imagine what the heck one would do with extra space. Newsflash: TONS of great things to do with space, but you have to be FUN first of all or it all kinda falls apart. :P

Old 04-23-2018, 06:41 PM

7,437 posts, read 4,676,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

I am surprised given that we have HGTV and that people use Pinterest and all that people are largely uncreative with their houses. That's why we decided we have to build. Thousands and thousands of houses in our budget range, all "nice," all full of useless space. The main difference we keep seeing between a $350,000 house and a $1M house or even $1.5M house is literally an extra bedroom or two, added formal dining, another sitting room, a bigger kitchen, the master is bigger (way too big), maybe the bathrooms are all bigger and there are more of them. It's literally just a complete waste of money and space. Your life wouldn't be ANY better in the $1.5M house than the $400K one, even the materials used to construct the home remain just as lousy, wood framing with minimal concern for energy efficiency or soundproofing. No added fun whatsoever.
I can't rep this enough. It's really the builders' fault. Not everyone can have the time to build their own house so they would have to rely on designs by builders. Sadly builders are just taking advantage of people.

On the opposite side of spectrum, you have these Tiny Houses that are filled with creativity and functionality. Why can't the same creative juice be applied to architects/designers of houses without wheels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House