Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 07:06 PM

5,614 posts, read 6,559,575 times

Advertisements

I am living in mine right now. It is my 4th, and hopefully last, home. First 3 with spouse, this one without. It is perfect for just me! I never had one custom built, I always found the homes I chose to be fine with me, otherwise I would not have bought them. And I did have standards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 03:02 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,667,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I can't rep this enough. It's really the builders' fault. Not everyone can have the time to build their own house so they would have to rely on designs by builders. Sadly builders are just taking advantage of people.

On the opposite side of spectrum, you have these Tiny Houses that are filled with creativity and functionality. Why can't the same creative juice be applied to architects/designers of houses without wheels?
You're so right! I was extremely impressed by this unbelievably efficient 500 square foot condo in New York, where of course any space of your own is ridiculously expensive, doesn't matter how small. This thing was a flat-out work of art. Every single part of it had multiple uses, and it was like one room that actually transformed (it's so hard to describe, it was that impressive) into multiple purposes. So it could be all one big sitting area for entertaining, but the bed folded out of the wall and wasn't even noticeable, then racks in the kitchen would seemingly come from nowhere, secret compartments had clothing and storage, this thing was state-of-the-art and had really been well thought out. If only that level of thought was put into houses much bigger.

Don't get me wrong here, if money was absolutely no object, if I had limitless funds like Bill Gates, sure, give me a massive master bathroom, give me a pointless sitting area in the master bedroom that nobody ever would use, give me a formal dining room and a breakfast nook and a formal living room and a casual living room and all of this other stuff. I'm not knocking those things, but when they're included in a $1M house where that's all you can afford (and a lot of money!) then they are always at the exclusion of something else. I don't know about everyone else, but I try not to hang out in my bathroom too often. I'm a dude, I take about 7 minute showers, sometimes 4-5 minutes (if it's right after a workout and my second shower of the day, let's say, just a rinse off), I put on my deodorant, and I'm out of the bathroom to put my clothes on. I don't live in the bathroom. I truly do not need it to be 300 square feet lol.

You are completely right about what you said, it's a total lack of creativity from builders and we, as home buyers, often have no choice. This is simply what we're offered. Yeah, I can't wait to build my own house, but I'm also self-employed and own my company, I can take the time away from whatever else to go visit a site every week for a few hours and go over what's happening. I can spend the immense amount of time required to build just the home I want. That's not a luxury that most people have, even if they had the money, so they're stuck with whatever the builder offers and the vast majority of the time the builder isn't very creative with options.

I think what has happened, you can kind of see this with some of the stats, is you've went from a time where people had very minimalist homes, like the 1950s or 1960s the average home size I believe wasn't above 1,500 square feet and the family size was bigger. Now you have the average is pushing 2,400 or something with smaller families, but the houses haven't fundamentally changed that much. Each bedroom is bigger, there are definitely an extra 1-2 bathrooms (old homes you notice sometimes had ONE bathroom! Unreal!), and there may be something like a small added bonus room. But there's not a whole lot of creativity going on.

I'm hopefully not the only person who feels this way, but I think the average person is blissfully unaware that anyone else lives any different than they do. Their friends may all live a similar life. Let me break it down as I see it:

-Married couple, both work standard 9 to 6 type of jobs, neither has work from home. When they're home, they enjoy each other's company and spend their time together for the most part, either cooking dinner at home or going out to dinner, and they watch a movie or watch some Netflix. Pretty soon, it's bed time, they get ready and they go to sleep.
-Above scenario but modified with kids, where all of their free time is basically spend dealing with dirty diapers or homework or watching some family movie or playing with their kids in some way, putting the kids to sleep, maybe mom and dad get an hour of peace and quiet to read or whatever, then it's bed time.

These people have no understanding of why anyone would possibly need a house bigger than, say, 2000 square feet. Or why they'd want a fun entertainment area. They don't get it because their life just doesn't include time for that or whatever.

Let me break down my GF and I's relationship:
-I work from home, for myself, and am an extreme night owl (never get up until afternoon). Always have been. She works part-time as a server and pursues photography the rest of the time (she's younger than me). She is also a night owl but sleeps before I do, so we sleep in separate bedrooms. We realized that it makes no sense for us to be dependent on each other for when to sleep. Sleep when you're tired. I don't go to bed at the same time or wake up at the same time, because it doesn't make much logical sense for my life. As a writer, when it's flowing, I just want to write, I don't sleep until I pass out basically.
-Many nights, I finish the night by watching a classic movie I haven't seen, enhancing my knowledge of cinema, so if we lived in a house with the living room near bedrooms, that simply wouldn't work out. It was an issue the entire time we lived in our condo and created more fights and arguments than I ever want to have. That's why for us, a 3 story house was the minimum configuration the way the builders want to build things (basement is the entertainment area, top floor bedrooms, buffer in the middle). Now if you made a house shaped like a U on one floor, with each side of the U being for different purposes, one side being bedrooms, and one entertainment, you could avoid this issue to a large extent.

The average house really only truly works if it's two people working a standard day job and on the exact same schedule with basically no deviation whatsoever from that. There are those of us like myself who wouldn't opt to have extra square footage used for pointless main area enlargements "for my guests" or uncreative things like an even bigger bathroom or a sitting area in the master. I swear every single one of those things is a "keeping up with the Joneses" type of improvement, where your neighbor goes, "WOW your house is so nice!" That's great, but I'm the only one in my house besides my GF literally 99% of the time, so I don't care about the 1% that much. I would use a home theater every single day virtually, I watch a ton of movies being in the film industry, so to me I'm going to prioritize that over wasted space somewhere else.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:07 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,749,236 times
^ Very well put! Happy for you and good luck on the build.

Unfortunately for me, I had to go with the Builders' silliness. The way I minimize its impact on me is by getting only 1400 sqft of silliness. LOL.

Re my Dreamhouse though, totally different. Something like this but with fine sand initially before the seafloor.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:48 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,940,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Have you ever thought about having a dream home. What does that mean exactly? Can it be an existing home that you have always wanted? Is their some kind of specific home that you want? Is it a home with a 10 car garage? Is it a home without a garage? Is the garage a separate structure? What amenities does your dream home have?

Is is a small place, a large place, How small is small and what does it mean to be big?

Will you build a dream house in your lifetime?

I've read the entire thread and really enjoyed everyone's "dream home" thoughts. Thought I'd add my own now.

As someone else said, in the thread, I think my ideas change with age and over time. When I was very young I was in love with Victorian homes. I always wanted a house with a grand staircase. At my age now I don't want to deal with stairs or the 'huge house' chores. Then I decided I'd like a Spanish hacienda type house with a courtyard, fountain, wrought iron gate and lots and lots of foliage and flowers. I like the New Orleans architecture but one story. I could still go for that house.

There are a couple of homes here I've imagined would be THE lap of luxury. I've seen the pics in real estate ads online and they are beautiful. But they are also BIG and more rooms than I would know what to do with. Have to have more furniture and all that stuff too. Have to be able to afford it but even if I could, I wouldn't.

My house feels both big and small to me. It's just under 1400 sq. ft. which is a decent size. The living room and bedrooms are big. The guest room is now a sitting room/dressing room because it's way too small to be an actual bedroom. The den is now the 2nd bedroom. The kitchen and bathrooms are TOO small, to me, but they work. There's also a 400 sq. ft. add on that is the TV room, dining room and office. The office would make a nice kitchen if I had the funds to do it. Gas, electric and water are already there because that's where the washer and dryer used to be. If I had the money I could make this a realllly nice house. I have a one car attached garage...the only one on my street! Everyone else has carports or nothing. I have 1/4 acre and when I moved in the entire thing was nothing but dirt and weeds. It was a dirt pit or a mud pit, depending on the weather so I had the entire thing covered in rock. I have enough trees and greenery that it doesn't look plain and ugly and it's 1000% improvement. Hardly anyone here has grass and if they do it's mostly brown so a lot of people have rock landscaping. Oh, and I still have weeds, or would if I didn't have a guy who sprays my yard once a month. I thought about putting down that ground cover under the rocks but it would've cost me another $1,000 so I pay $30 mo. instead. So, this isn't my "dream house" but I like it well enough and am pretty happy here. However, if I ever win a big lottery.....

Old 04-26-2018, 01:41 PM

19,975 posts, read 9,525,590 times
Open concept, fairly large living/kitchen/dining area with a wood-burning fireplace, luxurious big bathroom with a soaking tub and a walk-in shower, ocean or big lake view, in an upper middle class community with large wooded lots that is five minutes away from a fairly large suburb and an hour away from a fairly big city. Four seasons climate (Great Lakes or New England area).

Old 04-27-2018, 02:42 PM
KCZ

4,695 posts, read 3,715,467 times
My dream home would be a waterfront Adirondack-style lake house, with a big kitchen, master with a spa bathroom, bird area for my 2 parrots, fabulous lake views, a boat dock, swimming area, large garage, and accommodations for aging-in-place. And zombie-proof.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:55 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,946,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You're so right! I was extremely impressed by this unbelievably efficient 500 square foot condo in New York, where of course any space of your own is ridiculously expensive, doesn't matter how small. This thing was a flat-out work of art. Every single part of it had multiple uses, and it was like one room that actually transformed (it's so hard to describe, it was that impressive) into multiple purposes. So it could be all one big sitting area for entertaining, but the bed folded out of the wall and wasn't even noticeable, then racks in the kitchen would seemingly come from nowhere, secret compartments had clothing and storage, this thing was state-of-the-art and had really been well thought out. If only that level of thought was put into houses much bigger.

Don't get me wrong here, if money was absolutely no object, if I had limitless funds like Bill Gates, sure, give me a massive master bathroom, give me a pointless sitting area in the master bedroom that nobody ever would use, give me a formal dining room and a breakfast nook and a formal living room and a casual living room and all of this other stuff. I'm not knocking those things, but when they're included in a $1M house where that's all you can afford (and a lot of money!) then they are always at the exclusion of something else. I don't know about everyone else, but I try not to hang out in my bathroom too often. I'm a dude, I take about 7 minute showers, sometimes 4-5 minutes (if it's right after a workout and my second shower of the day, let's say, just a rinse off), I put on my deodorant, and I'm out of the bathroom to put my clothes on. I don't live in the bathroom. I truly do not need it to be 300 square feet lol.

You are completely right about what you said, it's a total lack of creativity from builders and we, as home buyers, often have no choice. This is simply what we're offered. Yeah, I can't wait to build my own house, but I'm also self-employed and own my company, I can take the time away from whatever else to go visit a site every week for a few hours and go over what's happening. I can spend the immense amount of time required to build just the home I want. That's not a luxury that most people have, even if they had the money, so they're stuck with whatever the builder offers and the vast majority of the time the builder isn't very creative with options.

I think what has happened, you can kind of see this with some of the stats, is you've went from a time where people had very minimalist homes, like the 1950s or 1960s the average home size I believe wasn't above 1,500 square feet and the family size was bigger. Now you have the average is pushing 2,400 or something with smaller families, but the houses haven't fundamentally changed that much. Each bedroom is bigger, there are definitely an extra 1-2 bathrooms (old homes you notice sometimes had ONE bathroom! Unreal!), and there may be something like a small added bonus room. But there's not a whole lot of creativity going on.

I'm hopefully not the only person who feels this way, but I think the average person is blissfully unaware that anyone else lives any different than they do. Their friends may all live a similar life. Let me break it down as I see it:

-Married couple, both work standard 9 to 6 type of jobs, neither has work from home. When they're home, they enjoy each other's company and spend their time together for the most part, either cooking dinner at home or going out to dinner, and they watch a movie or watch some Netflix. Pretty soon, it's bed time, they get ready and they go to sleep.
-Above scenario but modified with kids, where all of their free time is basically spend dealing with dirty diapers or homework or watching some family movie or playing with their kids in some way, putting the kids to sleep, maybe mom and dad get an hour of peace and quiet to read or whatever, then it's bed time.

These people have no understanding of why anyone would possibly need a house bigger than, say, 2000 square feet. Or why they'd want a fun entertainment area. They don't get it because their life just doesn't include time for that or whatever.

The average house really only truly works if it's two people working a standard day job and on the exact same schedule with basically no deviation whatsoever from that. There are those of us like myself who wouldn't opt to have extra square footage used for pointless main area enlargements "for my guests" or uncreative things like an even bigger bathroom or a sitting area in the master. I swear every single one of those things is a "keeping up with the Joneses" type of improvement, where your neighbor goes, "WOW your house is so nice!" That's great, but I'm the only one in my house besides my GF literally 99% of the time, so I don't care about the 1% that much. I would use a home theater every single day virtually, I watch a ton of movies being in the film industry, so to me I'm going to prioritize that over wasted space somewhere else.
You speak to the truth but still, you can have nearly all the rooms including those that are often uncommonly used in a particularly good arrangement that still works if the design and decor is right.

We have three bedrooms, three bathrooms, “formal” dining and living rooms, eat-in kitchen and separate family room which generally should take up about 2700 sf but our 90 y.o. house does it in 1800. The bedrooms and bathrooms are compact but perfectly functional and comfortable with tons of windows and each room is used every day- the living room gets great east light and we start our day with the newspapers and coffee there, after work it becomes the cocktail, music reading room the family room on the lower level is the TV/garden party room. The dining room is tiny, 10’x12’ yet is daily circulation, a view to a pond and dining terrace and casual office and will seat 8 for thanksgiving in a pinch and 6 super comfortably for frequent dinner parties. No master bath (gasp!) but the guest room/office has an ensuite thus keeps the same desired privacy.

Our equally compact garden has four terraces overlooking a wild canyon in the middle of the city and yet feels like we have 100s of acres despite our actual 1/8 acre size.

It’s not about size, it’s about functionality and usage. If you’ve got a bunch of space you don’t use often in your house you’ve wasted it.

Folks just need to assess how they actually live and make or find their place that best suits their true needs.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:15 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,250,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
^ Very well put! Happy for you and good luck on the build.

Unfortunately for me, I had to go with the Builders' silliness. The way I minimize its impact on me is by getting only 1400 sqft of silliness. LOL.

Re my Dreamhouse though, totally different. Something like this but with fine sand initially before the seafloor.
This is very pretty, but, if you have salt water just outside your window, somebody is going to have to do Bosun's Mate duties -

Change my rate to a Bosun's Mate
Doo-da, doo-da
All the doo-da-day
Chip and paint all night,
Chip and paint all day.
All the doo-da-day.

You have to do it, or you have to hire somebody to do it.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:32 AM

37,164 posts, read 42,346,253 times
Single story <1600sq ft 2 decent sized bedroom with walk in closets and 2 baths, all the living areas well defined (none of that "open" crap for me) with plenty of details and charm. Covered front porch with room for a couple chairs. Out back should be a separate small cottege with a bath and kitchenette for guests and/or renters with a garden separating it from the house.

This is for the current phase of my life. My answer would have been different 15 years ago.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,847,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Have you ever thought about having a dream home. What does that mean exactly? Can it be an existing home that you have always wanted? Is their some kind of specific home that you want? Is it a home with a 10 car garage? Is it a home without a garage? Is the garage a separate structure? What amenities does your dream home have?

Is is a small place, a large place, How small is small and what does it mean to be big?

Will you build a dream house in your lifetime?
My dream home will be in Florida. It needs to have a Mediterranean Style to it and not be too big. 3 bedrooms and at least 2 baths. A "mother-in-law" suite would be nice as well. The main thing is a nice tropical enclosed pool. My spouse and I dream about it all the time.
Here is an example of a nice pool. (IMO)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House