Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Have you ever thought about having a dream home. What does that mean exactly? Can it be an existing home that you have always wanted? Is their some kind of specific home that you want? Is it a home with a 10 car garage? Is it a home without a garage? Is the garage a separate structure? What amenities does your dream home have?

Is is a small place, a large place, How small is small and what does it mean to be big?

Will you build a dream house in your lifetime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:17 PM

151 posts, read 107,508 times
Oh gosh, a beach house would be my dream, with a stupid amount of windows, and white interior with lots of weathered wood features and furniture.

My second choice is a log home also with a stupid amount of windows haha, love those windows. Not too big, no more than 2000 sq ft or so. A pretty loft bedroom with a balcony, and a cozy fireplace in the living room. Ahhhhh.

I am not in either of these houses, dammit. Maybe some day, but not today.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
A large house on my own island where I could swing a wall open to have my place open to the outdoors.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:39 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
I bought a house in the summer of 2015, that honestly IS my dream home. I never thought I'd find it but I did. Every morning when I awaken and look around, I just can hardly believe that I live in this house.

To anybody else, it probably looks like just another 1500 sf brick one story house built on a slab in 1965. ha ha!!

Anyway, I always wanted a big shower and it's got one. I always wanted a garage (rare in my area) and it's got a big detached 2 car garage with extra rooms and a workshop area. It is located in the best block in the neighborhood I was targeting, a walkable and very quiet neighborhood where everything is within 1-2 miles away.

Also, since I am almost 70, one thing I absolutely love about it is that it is already modified to make it very elderly friendly and disabled friendly. The prior owner was elderly and disabled, and her boyfriend is a retired general contractor that knew how to do things right! The grab bars in the shower are the sturdiest I have ever seen. By the side door, he built a metal table that is waist high, to put things on while opening the door (and also it has a railing on it to steady oneself while stepping inside).

I love everything about this house. It's even fancy, with gorgeous molding everywhere and the walls are my favorite color and were freshly painted. It has new engineered wood flooring that looks great. I love that the 1965 bathrooms were well cared for and not updated. It has a laundry room, be still my heart!! My favorite layout for a home has a den at the back looking out on the back yard, and so does this one. Just everything about it is simply perfect.

The yard was not perfect, since it had numerous huge trees that were so old and uncared for that they were falling down, huge branch by huge branch, dangerous in high winds or during hurricane season here. I had them removed and grass put in instead, so now my yard is perfect (for me).

Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
^^^

I love to hear about folks who are pretty well enamored with where they live, especially when it is actually a modest abode but has the qualities- functional and aesthetic- along with the setting, neighborhood and locale that the owners truly appreciate.

You are very lucky- I feel the same way.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:38 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
My "Dream home" would be autonomous, superinsulated, minimal upkeep, frugal, and efficient. It would be disaster resistant, capable of operating in climate extremes, and secure. It would approximate a cube, minimizing surface area and maximizing volume. It would have a roof deck, and feature a summer kitchen, and dining al fresco. Instead of a lawn, it would have an edible landscape.

All exterior door openings would have airlocks or foyers. Windows would be burglar proof. Internal stairway would be fireproof and a fire escape.

Optimally, it would be stress skin thin shell concrete sandwich wall, fireproof, windproof, vermin proof, waterproof, and impervious to flying debris.

(Other boring details omitted)

Old 04-10-2018, 06:18 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
We pretty much have what we wanted

Large open living/cooking
Patio almost the size of the house
Back yard and herb garden take 1/2 day in Spring, front yard two hours, not a blade of grass in the back
Utilities and taxes very reasonable
Geothermal, extreme insulation
Very quiet neighborhood, five minute commute for SO and several routes he can take

Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Our current house is of sorts. It is perfect for children. However now things are changed. The children turned into adults and scattered or are scattering. Grandchildren seem unlikely and will likely be in distant states. More and more our dream home is looking like a 5th wheel that we can move around and stay with near out kids and grand-kids if any ever appear. While our house would be fabulous for grandkids to visit, it is not worth keeping it if we see them only once a year.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:09 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
One floor living. Warm location . Grassy areas. Greenhouse. Hobby shed. Two garages. Quaint bedrooms (3). Large kitchen . Total off grid living.
Wood fireplace . Southern style wrap around porch. Small fish pond so wildlife can enjoy. 4-5 acres. Close to provisions...medical,grocery,and horticulture store. I love growing veggies and planting flowers.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:53 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Home on the hill looking out to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House