Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:56 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times

Advertisements

Have any of you guys had to deal with this situation?

You're no longer able to remove driveway snow, so the farmer across the road reliably shows up to do this service. Another neighbor gets up on the roof to blow-out leaves from the gutters, mulches the garden, and splits/stacks firewood. You compensate these neighbors for their work.

When an injury occurs, do you notify your homeowner's insurance co. to file a claim, or merely give the injured person the insurance company's appropriate contact information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 01:09 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I'd just call the agent and ask them...

Old 04-23-2018, 02:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
If I understand this correctly, the person’s insurance should cover injury. But homeowners should have comprehensive coverage to protect homeowner’s pocketbook.

I do agree that you need to talk to your insurance agent.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:24 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I'm tellin' ya...

Your late wife is talkin' to ya!

Old 04-23-2018, 03:37 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Any advice depends upon which state you live in. In Alabama, you are required to point out defects in the property ("Hey, don't fall in the hole over there that the dog dug!") so that your "guests" (as opposed to trespassers) are warned. If you do that and they are injured in the course of what they are doing, THEY are responsible, not the homeowner. If an uninvited trespasser injures himself, as long as you have not constructed a man trap, HE are responsible, not the homeowner. Insurance companies don't broadcast this info, because they want to sell liability policies that they will never have to pay out on.

That said, Alabama is quite unusual in this type of protection for homeowners.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:28 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
Around here anything goes. A young man intent on breaking into a School climbed to the roof where he fell thru a skylight. He successfully sued the school district for a large sum of money.

I would certainly ask my agent if and how these people would be covered, your paying them so you could be on the hook if they get hurt.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:14 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Years ago I fell at my daughter and son-in-law's home while babysitting and broke my upper arm at the shoulder. I had them file with their homeowners insurance, which paid out in full to me (via medical expenses, I did not have to notify my own health insurance company, and of course I did not file/sue for injuries or other "favorite" issues). That's what homeowner's insurance is for, if and when others get injured while on your property (with your approval to be there). Isn't it? I certainly wasn't going to file through my health insurance and have to pay deductibles.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Homeowners and even Renters Insurance can cover a lot.

Typical is your hire the neighbor kid to whack weeds the he comes down with severe poison oak... neighbors policy covered it.

Baby Sitter falls down the stairs... again covered... kid falls off a ladder covered... these are one's that I know were paid out around here.

People are always asking me if I have work related to property maintenance/management I do... I cannot hire casual labor as I have no insurance in place... the minimum worker's comp insurance policy last I checked was $1200... so I only hire licensed and insured or do it myself or have the owner do it.

The difference is the above is business related... the OP has examples of casual labor needed around the home... not a business venture.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:30 PM

10,744 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Years ago I fell at my daughter and son-in-law's home while babysitting and broke my upper arm at the shoulder. I had them file with their homeowners insurance, which paid out in full to me (via medical expenses, I did not have to notify my own health insurance company, and of course I did not file/sue for injuries or other "favorite" issues). That's what homeowner's insurance is for, if and when others get injured while on your property (with your approval to be there). Isn't it? I certainly wasn't going to file through my health insurance and have to pay deductibles.
Why do you believe that it is your daughters responsibility? Did she do something to cause you to break your arm?

Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 PM

621 posts, read 1,123,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
...so I only hire licensed and insured or do it myself or have the owner do it.
Contractor's G/L insurance doesn't shield the property owner from personal injury and a one man operation isn't required to carry W/C....at least in California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House